Sunday, March 15, 2009

Chocolate Bread Pudding w/ Praline Sauce

With all of the rain we've been having, I've been having an "envie" (Cajun for craving) for a little something sweet. When I woke up this morning, my envie got stronger and I decided to make this decadent dessert for guests that I am having over for dinner, tonight. Of course, I couldn't wait until after dinner to indulge, so I decided to sample it for breakfast with some extra strong Community coffee. Oh, so good, cher!  Community Coffee

Chocolate Bread Pudding

1 stick butter
1 loaf French bread, torn into small pieces
1 large can Pet milk
4 semi-sweet chocolate squares, chopped
4 large eggs, beaten
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. almond extract

Melt butter in large heavy pot on medium heat. Add bread, and stir constantly until golden. Place mixture in a buttered 13x9 inch baking dish and set aside.

Bring milk to a boil in medium saucepan. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate and blend till smooth. Add eggs, brown sugar,and almond extract. Pour mixture over bread mixture, blend gently and let stand for 15 minutes. Cover with vented foil and bake at 325 degrees, for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Let cool and serve with warm praline sauce. Serves 8

Praline Sauce
 
1 cup light brown sugar
1 small can Pet milk
2 tbs.'s butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup chopped pecans
 
Combine brown sugar, milk, vanilla, and butter in heavy saucepan. Cook and stir on low heat until smooth. Stir in pecans and vanilla. Serve warm over bread pudding.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. I think I will have to try this one soon. Yum.