Thursday, February 18, 2010

Dat Tuesday! + Party Gras Day!


It was a picture perfect day, in Cajun Country, for Dat Tuesday! Not a cloud in the sky, sunny and 58 degrees, which was absolutely perfect, for the many Mardi Gras festivities going on around Lafayette.

Every where you went, people were shouting Who Dat or We Dat and cheering! There were Who Dat floats, Who Dat music, Who Dat, signs, Who Dat t-shirts; you get the idea? You might even say that many were STILL celebrating the New Orleans Saints Superbowl Victory! Woo-hoo! We "ALL" Dat, cher! Yeah, Saints!



We started out at Bisbano's for a little noontime happy hour and the King's Parade. These Cajun gals were dressed up for the occasion! That's a Hurricane that she's drinking! Guaranteed to make you happy, cher!

After the King's parade, we decided to head over to Cajun Field for the two afternoon parades. We were starving and went over to a friend's tent.


A fabulous array of goodies, including two King Cakes, on this snack table! As hard as it's going to be, I am giving up King Cake for lent, btw!



And some other friends were cookin' up some BBQ ribs and sausage! Out of this world, cher!


At Le Festival des Mardi Gras de Lafayette, the sensational , "Louisiana Red" band was jamming for the crowd. Check out the boots, ya'll! Kids of all ages enjoyed the great carnival rides.





These two floats were emptying their stash, as the parades came to an end!


You might say that catching beads is an obsession with some Cajuns!



And this was the day's bounty in beads! And catching my favorite mask beads
means good luck all year!


Everywhere you looked people were smiling, cheering, and catching beads, eating, drinking, being merry! And and just having a blast! The crowds were among the biggest, in Lafayette Mardi Gras history, and it was just an awesome day, filled with great Cajun fun! Until next year.....Let the good times roll, cher! And don't forget that Downtown Alive is right around the corner!

14 comments:

Kat said...

Mardi Gras is so much fun! You got a good booty of beads. Love the mask one. Cajuns sure can find the good times!

judi/Gmj said...

Now that is a pile of beads!!
I am so glad you chose KC to give up for lent. I was terrified you would give up shrimp. That would be doomed for failure for me.
LOL, I have to quite watching your vids in the middle of the night, I woke my husband up.. again. :)

Joanne said...

Wow, what a bead catch! Much good luck coming your way :)

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

what a fun day... great post!

California Girl said...

My husband and I are on vaca now on the coast of Maine and we're having a great time eating drinking and doing alot of nothing. He's photographing everything that delights him and I'm reading my books, just finishing Julia's "My Life in France" and my mags and blogging a little bit.

Cannot recall if I told you I made Mamma's Shrimp Stew. It was delicious! I did not know how many cans of Rotel to use. I purchased two 14 oz and used one, playing it by ear. Didn't seem to need more although I reduced the amt of shrimp to 1lb as only two of us were eating.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Oh Cher, I know you done passed a good time! that's some good looking food too and what a beautiful day, I believe dat!

Hugs!

Marguerite said...

Kat- I caught an "all time record", booty of beads, this year! Thanks, I love the mask one, too! It's the Cajun "joie de vivre", cher!

judi- My pile of beads from 10 parades was huge!! I don't think that I could ever give up shrimp! Get the headphones out, cher! lol

Joanne- It was a great bead event, for sure. And I have been quite lucky, lately, as I've gotten "the baby" in my slice of King Cake, three times, this season! More good luck! Thanks for stopping by!

Dave- Have you booked your flight, yet, for next year's Mardi Gras? A fabulous bon' ton' cher! Merci!

Cal. Girl- So happy to hear that you're on a fun little excursion! It sounds wonderful! Thanks, so glad that you liked the shrimp stew, cher! One can of Rotel is enough, unless you want it very hot! Have fun! Cheers!

Katherine- It was the best Mardi Gras, in a while. Of course, we're all still celebrating the Saints win and that just added to the fun. Thanks, the food was fab! Hope you get to come next year!

roughterrain crane said...

Thanks for a cool post.

Nancy said...

You can't help but catch the excitement! Thanks for sharing a perfectly fun, foody day!

Boozy Tooth said...

That's it. I'm coming to Mardi Gras next year for sure, so get ready for me. I may not survive, but what a way to GO!

Oh Marguerite, sweetie, I envy you so. And just so you know how much I love you and your awesome recipes... we are having company over on Sunday and I'm making them your Mama's Shrimp Stew. Cannot wait to eat that heavenly dish again.

Love you bunches!

PS: Sorry about the colo photos at Casa Hice. But you must know by now that I'm all about the shock and awe! LOL

Marguerite said...

roughterrain crane- Hi and welcome to Cajun Country! Thank you for your nice comment and for stopping by!

Nancy- Merci, it is impossible not to catch it! It is totally contagious and wonderful. It's my pleasure to share it with you, cher!

Alix- I definitely think that you should! And don't worry, I'll be ready for you, cher! Merci beaucoup for the sweet compliment, and I am honored that you are cooking it for company. I'll be cooking Mama's Shrimp Stew, tomorrow. Cheers!

Velva said...

OMG, what an amazing day!!!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Vagabonde said...

I enjoy all the fun in your posts Marguerite, and all the great pictures. You have a lot of happy times and I am pleased that you are sharing them with us.

Marguerite said...

Velva- Thanks, it was an amazing month! You're very welcome, so glad you enjoyed it!

Vagabonde- Merci beaucoup for the lovely compliments, cher! It is a fun place to live and I'm happy to share it all with you.