Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spicy Shrimp Creole + A Fun Cajun Lunch!


It was such a beautiful Spring day, yesterday, that I decided to take a ride to Delcambre, Louisiana and buy some fresh shrimp, right off the docks. Delcambre is the "shrimp capital of the world", for real! The shrimp were on sale and I couldn't resist buying 10 lbs. of the beautiful fresh shrimp that are sold there. I figured that I would freeze these beauties in 2 lb. bags and use, as needed. When I arrived home, my dear son requested that I cook a Shrimp Creole, so that settled it for the first 2 lbs., for dinner last night. This spicy dish is bursting with flavor and can be served over rice, or with your favorite pasta. Add a big tossed salad, a good loaf of French bread, and a glass of wine, for a delicious meal that will delight your guests. Cest bon, cher! Bon Appetit!


Marguerite's Shrimp Creole

2 lbs. medium shrimp
2 tbs.'s
olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper , chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 tsp.'s garlic, minced
1 bunch green onions, chopped, (including tops)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 16 oz. can finely diced canned tomatoes
1 8 0z. can of roasted garlic tomato sauce
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tbs.'s lemon juice
2 tbs.'s Creole or Cajun seasoning, divided
2 or 3 bay leaves
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
Salt and Tabasco to taste

Squeeze lemon juice on shrimp and season with 1 tbs. Creole or Cajun seasoning. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy skillet, over medium heat. Add
onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic, and saute for 5 minutes. Add seasoned shrimp and saute for 5 more minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, white wine, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in green onions , parsley and Worcestershire sauce, cover and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cest bon, cher! Enjoy!

***********


T.G.I.F Fun at Bach Lunch!

Another picture perfect day, in Cajun country, with not a cloud in the sky! We headed down to the weekly Bach Lunch, at Parc Sans Souci, in downtown Lafayette. And yes, we do this every Friday, at noon, and then come back, every Friday night for Downtown Alive!! We found a happy crowd, enjoying the hot Cajun band, "The Saint Street Aces" and three different boxed lunches from several local eateries. There were a lot of children at today's Bach Lunch, and they were cutting the rug, as well. 


Merci beaucoup for stopping by, mon amis! Ya'll are the best!

20 comments:

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Oh my. A shrimp creole using fresh, very fresh, shrimp. I want to come and eat it. Looks incredible.

Only 10 pounds? Perhaps you need to go back and get more.

blanket chest said...

I love the photos and love the recipe! Shrimp is one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing.

Joanne said...

I just love how music is such a prominent part of life there, and the people so enjoy it. It must be so inspiring!

Kat said...

Shrimp Creole is one of my favorite, if not favortie cajun dish. I love how fresh it tastes. Fresh shrimp from the shrimp capital of the world! How fortunate for you!! Enjoy your weekend.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

All these perfect days and I am jealous... well, just a little

ellen abbott said...

There is a small seafood shop here in this small town not far from the coast. They have their own boat, sell their own catch. We get fresh shrimp often.

Marguerite said...

Midlife- Thanks, come on, cher, anytime! I know, I'm kicking myself in the arse, for not getting more. lol A shrimp-o-holic can NEVER have enough fresh shrimp!

blanket chest- Hi and welcome to Cajun country! Merci beaucoup for your sweet comment and for coming by! You're welcome, it's my pleasure to share it with you!

Joanne- Thanks, cher! We LOVE good music as much as good food, and we grew up with plenty of both, and were taught an appreciation for them, from birth! The musical talent is "in the blood", here! It's very inspiring and wonderful, and so much fun!

Kat- Oh mon amie, I am so glad that I posted your fave! You will love this recipe, guaranteed! Yes, I am so lucky to get these fresh shrimp and only 20 minutes away! Enjoy, cher!

Dave- I understand, cher! You know how much I love St. Thomas, but, there are no Cajun bands, there! We'll have to fix that! lol Have a great weekend in paradise! Cheers!

Ellen- You are lucky, too! Especially if you can get those extra large, Texas gulf coast, shrimp. Those are my faves! Hope you are enjoying your weekend, cher!

Cloudia said...

I SO want to visit (and EAT in) Cajun Land!!!



Aloha from Hawaii, Cher


Comfort Spiral

John said...

20lb. of shrimp; you guys know how to do it.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

You live in one of the most delightful places in all of North America...you have me thoroughly convinced!!! That creole looks divine...wish I weren't allergic to shrimp...that looks like something I could eat EVERY DAY!!!! Love you! Janine XO

Kathryn Magendie said...

Aww, those little kids jumping around and dancing - so cute!

GMR makes shrimp creole every now and then-it's one of my all time favorite foods! yum!

Irish Gumbo said...

I may have to take some days off and drive down there for that! Whew, does that look good!

I'll console myself with the red beans and rice I made for dinner tonight, until then :)

Marguerite said...

Cloudia- Maybe you could come over on your boat? Dock in New Orleans and you'd never leave! lol Aloha!

John- Yes we do! If you have a freezer, then you always have at least 20 lbs. of shrimp! Thanks for coming by, cher!

Janine- Merci, cher amie!, it's an awesome place to live and I've never found another place quite like it! I wish that you could have the shrimp, too!

Kathryn- Thanks, cher! They are the next generation of Cajun dancers and musicians. Ought to be really good, by the time they grow up. You'll have to get GMR to make the shrimp creole. I know that he CAN, after seeing that gumbo!

Irish- So good to hear from you! Thanks so much, you would be more than welcome! Red beans and rice sounds good, too! Merci beaucoup for stopping by, cher!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Dearest Marguerite...Just want you to know that you've been especially in my thoughts and prayers these last several days...Sending you my love, Janine XO

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Oh boy, have I missed my Cajun fix! What a great, delicious post! Thanks. I am going to go to the seafood market and buy me some shrimp pronto!

aslan said...

Dearest Marguerite,

Just want you to know that I've been eaten everythin which come from sea.

Thanks for sharing..

Happy week.

Kathleen said...

I soooo love shrimp creole! Your recipe sounds wonderful !!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

A Kitchen Witch said...

I just bought gulf shrimp today so I think I'll try out your creole recipe. I've always used my River Roads Recipes book (one of my food Bibles) but, like to try all variations of this dish! Great page and thanks for sharin', cher.

Unknown said...

Thank You so much for sharing this. I've made it close to a dozen times now and it has become one of our very favorite dishs to make. Everyone who has ever tried it raves about it. So flavorful! Love your blog.