Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cajun Breakfast Casserole + Bayou Blues

Here's another Cajun breakfast dish that is always a favorite at my house and is a meal in itself! I love to cook a big breakfast on Saturday mornings, especially when it starts getting a little cooler outside. It's savory, spicy taste is just irresistible and will have you going back for seconds! It can be assembled the night before and popped into the oven in the morning. So easy and perfect for a brunch buffet, too! Cest bon, cher!




Cajun Breakfast Casserole

3 tbs.'s butter, melted
1 pkg. (10 count)  refrigerated buttermilk biscuits or homemade
1/2 lb. fresh sausage (hot or mild),  casing removed
1/2 cup each, onions and bell peppers, chopped
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup shredded cheese (I used Colby/Jack)
6 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup half n' half
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
Salt to taste



Prepare biscuits, according to package directions. Pour melted butter into a large casserole dish to coat bottom and sides. Break biscuits into pieces on bottom of casserole dish.

Brown sausage in large skillet and drain. Add onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and jalapeno pepper and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.  Add Worcestershire sauce and parsley. Stir and set aside. In large bowl, beat eggs and add Cajun seasoning. Add half and half and mix well. 

  Add the shredded cheese to the sausage mixture, mix well and spread evenly over top of biscuit layer. Pour egg mixture over the sausage/cheese mixture. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil sprinkle with extra cheese, if desired,  and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until set. Serves 6 Bon appetit!



Serve with Mama's Cornmeal Biscuits (click here for recipe), fresh fruit, and your favorite coffee! Enjoy!


******
Tonight I will be going to a birthday bash for an old friend. We will be dining out at Artmosphere Bistro and Art Gallery and then staying for an awesome bayou blues show with Henry Gray and the Cats. Henry Gray is a Louisiana legend and has been entertaining blues fans for over 40 years! Just to give you a sneak peak,  here is a little clip that I took of him and his fabulous band, playing at Downtown Alive. Grab a cold drink, and crank it up for this one, cher! Cheers!

Henry Gray and the Cats


Hope you all are having a wonderful, fun-filled weekend! Merci beaucoup for coming by!

19 comments:

Susanna Powers said...

If you made this the night before, I doubt it would be there in the morning! That is inspiring. thanks, sp

Al said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Al said...

It looks and sounds yummy.
I wish I was organised enough to create something like this for breakfast on the weekends. A couple of strips of bacon and eggs is about as elaborate as I get.

Irish Gumbo said...

Breakfast of champions, and yeah, I'd be back for seconds, no doubt. Would anyone mind if I ate it for dinner, too? Mmm, mmm...

Carolina Mountains said...

Hearty recipe - great for cool days. Have fun tonight -enjoyed the music clip!

Drick said...

I do this all the time with french bread, but using biscuits is a great idea... very nice....

Kat said...

That breakfast casserole looks so good, especially right now on Sunday morn. I am for sure going to give this one a try. luv.

Eddie Bluelights said...

When do you find time to cook these gorgeous meals AND as we say in Britland, 'trip the light fantastic' (means go dancing)? LOL
Oh I note you used the word 'biscuit' which we use in England. I thought you called the 'cookies'!! Is there a difference? See ya ~ Eddie

California Girl said...

I'm watching Dr. Christiane Northrup on PBS talk about life after menopause. I always learn something from her, e.g. just learned fish oil can lower incidences of hot flashes by 40%!!! I am the queen of hot flashes & finished menopause 4 years ago. I'm gonna go buy some fish oil pills.

How does that off the wall comment tie into your post? She advises high protein, low carb meals and to avoid trans fats. She recommends alot of other stuff too, some of which I'm doing, like weight training, and some of which I'm not doing, cut way back on the vino.

Your recipe sounds divine. Doesn't fit with her philosophy but everyone needs a break, right?

Sniffles and Smiles said...

I should know better than come here before I've eaten!!! Looks so delicious!!! And the music? You are such fun, dear Marguerite! Hope the rest of your weekend is fabulous!!! ~Janine XO

Velva said...

Your Cajun breakfast rocks! My belly would be full and happy.

John said...

Another light Southern breakfast to start the day!

Marguerite said...

sussah- You are so right! Glad you like it and hope that you try it, cher! You're welcome!

Al- Thanks, it's very easy to make! You could substitute crumbled bacon for the sausage and any type of bread for the biscuits and it would be a zip.

Irish- Merci for your sweet comment, cher! And no, I don't think anyone would mind a bit! lol Thanks for stopping by!

CM- Thanks, it's a typical Cajun breakfast, all rolled into one. So glad you enjoyed it!

Drick- Thanks, I used to make it with French bread, but found that it held up better and tasted better with biscuits. Glad you like it!

Kat- Thanks so much, I'm so glad you want to try it! It's delicious and won't disappoint! Merci for coming by, cher!

nanny said...

Sounds great....I get so tired of the same bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy.....boring!!!!

Judith A . Bates said...

Looks absolutely delicious....My guys will love this one I'm sure!
Thanks Marguerite!!tesjudith8

Mary Bergfeld said...

That's quite a breakfast and it was quite a post. I love to visit here. It is never dull and I always learn something or am entertained. You keep me coming back. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Marguerite said...

Eddie- Lots of years of practice, my friend. lol A cookie is a sweet treat, and a biscuit is a type of bread, here. lol A biscuit rises and a cookie doesn't. lol Biscuits are eaten with meals, and cookies are eaten as snacks. lol Hope that helped!

Cal. Girl- Great advice! For the most part, I eat a high protein, low carb , low trans fat diet, with lots of grilled seafood and veggies and fruits. I do love to indulge in Cajun food, but keep the portions small, when I do, and exercise daily. Thanks for coming by!

Janine- Merci, cher! You know I've got to keep a certain hard working, 6'4", young man filled up and this hearty dish does the trick! Thanks, so glad you enjoyed the clip! It was a blast!

Velva- Thanks so much for your sweet comment! It's so good and easy and I hope that you try it! Thanks for stopping by!

John- Believe it or not, it is light, compared to some other Cajun breakfasts. Like boudin with a crawfish etouffee omelette, for instance! :)

Vagabonde said...

When it gets cool as you say this breakfast must be good, and with a strong cup of coffee. Here in Atlanta we have had 82 days now of over 90 degree temperature. Today it will be 95. We are not getting cooler fast.

Marguerite said...

nanny- Thanks, it's nice and spicy if you use hot sausage and two jalapenos. Hope you try it, it's fab!!

Jude- Great to hear from you! Thanks, it would be perfect for your gang of guys, for sure! Hope ya'll enjoy it! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Mary- Thanks so much for your kind and thoughtful comment! Your recipes are fab and I also enjoy visiting your blog! Hope you have a wonderful day, too!

Vagabonde- It's still hot here, too, but after the cold winter we had last year, I swore that I would never complain about the heat again! Thanks so much for coming by and catching up on all of my recipes and for all of your nice comments! It was so sweet of you! Cheers!