Saturday, August 14, 2010

Bananas Foster Crunch Cake + More Bayou Boogie

Here's another fabulous, Cajun delight that is guaranteed to please and is out of this world, cher! Based on one of New Orleans's favorite desserts, it's a perfect cake for any occasion and will have your guests begging for the recipe. I am baking this one for my Dad because it is one of his faves. So rich and moist, with just the right amount of crunch. Ca cest bon! Bon appetit!


Bananas Foster Crunch Cake

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
1/4 cup light rum
1/3 cup milk or buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp.'s baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butterscotch chips

Topping

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup melted butter


In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer, until smooth. Add sugar, and beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well, after each. Add milk and mix well. Stir in mashed bananas, rum, vanilla. In small bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to butter mixture, a little at a time, and mix well. Stir in the butterscotch chips. Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan and set aside.
In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, pecans, brown sugar, and melted butter. Sprinkle over batter and cover with foil. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven, for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20 more minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool and transfer to a cake plate. Enjoy!

And if you want to add a little more decadence, you can top it off with my rum sauce!

Rum Sauce


3/4 cup light brown sugar
4 tbs.'s butter
1 small can evaporated milk
2 tbs.'s dark rum or
2 tsp's rum extract
Melt butter in saucepan, and then add brown sugar, and milk. Bring to a boil and lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat stir in rum, or rum extract. Sinfully good!

********
I've had a few more requests for some Bayou Boogie, so for your entertainment, here is a little clip of Lil Anne and Cayenne, getting down! I love to do my morning workout to this tune! Guaranteed to shed some calories! Grab a cold one and crank it up, , and let the good times roll, cher! Hope ya'll are all having a fun weekend! Merci beaucoup for stopping by!

Lil' Anne and Hot Cayenne



21 comments:

Drick said...

Marguerite, you are killing me with this one... cornmeal, butterscotch chips, rum and oh yeah, add the sauce baby ...gotta make this one soon.....

Cloudia said...

soul satisfyin` Cher!!!!!!!



Warm Aloha from Waikiki :)

Comfort Spiral

Linda Starr said...

wow, that looks so good, rum sauce, you just reminded me I have a bundt cake recipe with rum and nuts made from a mix with pudding. I'll have to listen to the songs tomorrow as Gary will wake up and wonder what the noise is.

nanny said...

Gosh, can I come live at your house.....or at least just eat there? YUM!

Eddie Bluelights said...

Mmm! What a lucky chap your dad is on two counts:
1. To have a lovely daughter and
2. For you to cook nice things for him.
I would go bananas over this one LOL - Eddie

Maggie May said...

This will seriously fatten me up and yet it looks so scrummy.
How do you stay so slim?
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Joanna Jenkins said...

Butterscotch!?!?!? Count me IN on this recipe! Yum.
Thanks for sharing, jj

GYPSYWOMAN said...

oh, my goodness - girl, can't believe this cake! and can't wait to make it myself - the list of ingredients is just too much!!!

have a glorious day, dear lady!

Marguerite said...

Drick- Thanks, cher! So glad you like! It is sinful, especially with the sauce. Enjoy!

Cloudia- Merci for the nice compliment, mon ami! Have a great week! Aloha!

Linda- Thanks, hope you try it! This clip would definitely wake him up! lol

nanny- Thanks so much for your sweet comment! Sure, you would be welcome, anytime!

Eddie- Merci beaucoup for your lovely comment, cher! You are so sweet and such a hoot, too! lol

Maggie- Thanks, this cake is worth the calories! I dance a lot and workout! Thanks for stopping by!

Jeannette StG said...

Mmmm, this is a cake my kids would love! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

velva said...

Woo-hoo! That bananas foster crunch cake rocks!

Best Hamburger Recipe said...

wow! what a delicious recipe site! thanx 4 sharing!

Beej said...

Oh, gawd, this sounds good. I might have to go ahead and make this, if not for the rum alone!

Shammickite said...

I copied the recipe... will try it, should be delicious, especially with that rum sauce..... hmmm.. maybe I'll forget the cake and just make the rum sauce.... oh yeah!

Jeni said...

I'm thanking you today on a couple of levels -first, for all the get-well wishes you've sent me over the recent past. I'm still recuperating but doing great -at least in my opinion. Getting ready now to start (slowly) walking again -without the dog for a while but building up to walking him again fairly soon too, I hope. Still really tired, very easily, but I think that's the norm.

And second for posting this recipe! WOW! That sounds and looks so yummy and doesn't look like one would have to attend chef's school to make it either!

And finally, I thought of you late last night as I sat here stuffing my fat self with some fantastic soup a good friend of mine had made and brought down here -Stuffed Pepper Soup -which was totally awesome. It hit me that it had so many of the ingredients that you often use and though this batch was really terrific as it was, I was thinking how great it would be if it had just a touch of jalapeno or banana peppers sauted in with the green and red peppers and the diced tomatoes! (I do love food with a lot of zing (jalapeno type) to it!

So thanks again for being such a great blogger friend -even if some of your recipes do make me gain weight just reading about them and looking longingly at the pictures you post of these things!

Magic of Spice said...

Oh my...this is wonderful :) Not a thing here I do not love :)

Marguerite said...

Joanna- So good to hear from you! Thanks, I love butterscotch, too, and it goes so well with the rum. Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy!

GYPSY- Merci beaucoup for your sweet comment, cher! It is rather sinful and I hope that you make it! Thanks, hope that yours is, too!

jeannette- Thanks, so glad that you like it! The rum cooks out, but as an option, you could substitute 2 tbs.'s of rum extract, for the kids.

velva- Thanks, it is divine and worth the calories and the effort, cher! Thanks for coming by!

BHR- Hi and welcome! So glad to meet you! Thanks so much for your nice comment and for visiting! You're welcome, it's my pleasure!

Beej- Thanks, it is heaven on a plate and the rum sauce is fab! Please do make it and let me know how you liked it.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I am definitely make this cake this weekend. My family will love this. Thanks for sharing Marguerite!!!

Marguerite said...

Shammickite- So good to hear from you! Thanks for the nice comment, but please don't forget the cake! No kidding, I can eat the sauce by the spoonfuls, if I don't control myself!

jeni- You're so welcome, cher! Just take it easy, get lots of rest, and in no time you'll be walking that dog again. Glad you like the recipe and hope that you'll check out my Blueberry Muffin recipe that I just posted. They're much easier to make. And that Stuffed Pepper Soup sounds awesome! Maybe a few shakes of hot sauce would achieve the same effect. Thanks so much for stopping by, it's great to hear from you!

Spice- Merci beaucoup for your sweet comment. I love your blog, too, and your recipes are fab! Thanks for coming by! Cheers!

Katherine- Thanks for the lovely compliment, cher! So glad you like it and want to try it! It won't disappoint, I promise you! You're welcome and thank you for sharing all of your wonderful recipes, too!

Vagabonde said...

Marguerite after having gone on my trip I need to eat just a little and lose my appetite then I come to your blog and see all the yummy recipes you have – so tempting! I’ll wait for a family occasion to bake your cake – it does sound délicieux.

Mandy said...

I made this recipe last week and really liked it a lot. I changed it up a bit and lightened it up where I could. My husband and I really enjoyed it. thanks so much!

Mandy

www.learn-laugh-cook.blogspot.com
www.mandylifeafter30.com