Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cajun Thanksgiving Desserts

I've been adding a few last minute items to my Thanksgiving dessert menu and wanted to share them with you. What would any Thanksgiving dessert table be without a scrumptious,  pumpkin pie? I've tried many versions of this delectable pie through the years and this is beyond the shadow of a doubt, my absolute favorite!  Handed down to me from my dear godmother, it's fabulous flavor is sure to please! Cest bon, cher! Enjoy!

Nanny's Praline-Pumpkin Pie

1 1/2 cups canned or fresh pumpkin 
1/2  cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 unbaked 9 inch, deep dish pie shell

Topping

1/3 cup pecan pieces
1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs

1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbs.'s butter, softened


Beat eggs in large bowl with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add all remaining ingredients, and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes or until well blended. Pour into an unbaked 9 inch pie shell, which has been chilled. Cover edges of pie crust with foil.


Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare topping. After baking for 10 minutes, lower heat to 350 degrees and sprinkle topping over top of filling and continue baking for 50 to 55 minutes or until knife comes out clean. Serves 8 Sinfully delicious! Bon appetit!

(everyone's favorite)
Worth every calorie!
**************************************************************************
And here is another family "must have" that is just out of this world! It's my grandmother's chocolate cake recipe, spiked with a little rum. I made this cake for my Dad's 89th birthday, last week, and everyone wants it again, for Thanksgiving. It just doesn't get any better than this, cher! One bite of this heavenly cake and you'll think you're in heaven!

Decadent Chocolate-Rum Cake

2 cups flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 tsp.'s baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup butter at room temperature
1 2/3 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup dark rum




Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cake pans with butter and dust with flour. Mix the 2 cups flour, cocoa, baking soda, powder, and salt until well blended. Beat the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla, in large bowl with electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add the flour mixture, alternating with milk, until blended. Stir in the rum. Pour into prepared pans, (I used a bundt pan) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans, and cool completely, before frosting.

Frosting
1 box (16 0z.'s) confectioners sugar
1 stick butter or margarine (softened)

4 heaping teaspoons cocoa
1/3 cup hot coffee
1 tbs. dark rum

Mix sugar, butter, and cocoa in medium bowl. Beat till smooth. Stir the rum into the hot coffee and slowly add coffee, adding a little at a time, until desired consistency. Divine!

(my Dad's favorite)
***************************************************************************
And just in case you missed my Thanksgiving menu post, you can find some of the other decadent desserts that I'll be serving, below. Cest bon, cher!

Click on title for recipe.

(my favorite)






















Chocolate Fudge Pecan Pie 
(my daughter's favorite) 
Can you tell that we love chocolate? What's your favorite Thanksgiving dessert?
Stay tuned, I'll be sharing some mouth-watering, Thanksgiving sides, next!
Hope that ya'll are having a wonderful week! Merci beaucoup for coming by!

25 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

After seeing this post, I think we're gonna alter this years pumpkin pie a bit...

Joanne said...

My daughter is the chocolate cake baker, and we love the idea of coffee in the frosting. We're saving this recipe for Christmas :)

Pooch Purple Reign said...

since our thanksgiving is over, im looking at all these recipes for our family christmas dinner. awesome and thank you
~laura x

Drick said...

gotta love that topping on Nanny's pie esp made with graham crackers and like your Dad, that chocolate cake sounds like a favorite to me too - thanks for sharing

Linda Starr said...

Bring on the rum and bourbon and the pumpkin, love them all. I have a recipe for rum bundt cake but it doesn't have the chocolate over the top. Yours sounds delicious.

Susanna Powers said...

My only comment is, you're making me so hungry! happy thanksgiving, sp

Eddie Bluelights said...

Delicious and Nutritious. I always feel hungry when I come here LOL. Do you ever find time to eat baked beans on toast or bangers and mash or scrambled egg on toast? Yer don't know what yer missing!! Maybe you do! LOL I expect you would spoil me ocassionally with your lovely cooking if I lived in Cajun country LOL

Rosaria Williams said...

The pies all sound delicious. I want to try the pumpkin/pecan praline for sure. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

nanny said...

Oh gosh, Nanny's pie looks awesome....think I'll change my menu/ha

Cloudia said...

ooooWEEEEEEE!





Aloha from Waikiki :)

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


<°)}}><

Marguerite said...

Pat- Great to hear from you! Thanks, so glad you like it! The pie is divine and you'll be glad you did! The topping is fab, too!

Joanne- Thanks, this frosting is the best! It's sinfully delicious and I'm so glad you want to try it! Enjoy, cher!

Pooch- Merci, they will be fab for Christmas, too! You're so welcome, cher! It's my pleasure to share them with you! Cheers!

Drick- Thanks, so glad you like them, cher! They're both fab and the chocolate cake is simply out of this world! You're welcome!

Linda- Thanks, they are all so good and that chocolate frosting is so yummy, with the coffee and the rum! Enjoy!

sussah- Thanks, that's the idea! lol Happy Thanksgiving to you too, cher! Merci for stopping by, cher!

Arlee Bird said...

Pumpkin Pie is okay, but praline pumpkin pie sounds like it rocks.

And who can resist the combination of rum and chocolate. Yo-ho-ho, bring it on!

Lee
Tossing It Out

Maggie May said...

Do you know! I am putting weight on here just looking at the pumpkin pie (& I'm not looking at that chocolate cake. Definitely not!)
Seriously that pumpkin pie looks out of this world.
How do you stay so slim?
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Kittie Howard said...

Another slice of that praline pumpkin pie, please! When I think of the holidays I also think of a warm kitchen with heavenly scents that make the mouth water. Which is what I'm thinking now...great recipes, Marguerite!

And thanks for the warm wishes. Quick trip to Baton Rouge worked out great. But I'm happy to be home with hub and into our holiday routine.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a fabulous post! I've always viewed Thanksgiving as a time to eat lots of fabulous desserts. I could add these to my list. Let the rest of the world have turkey. Pass the pie please. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Lisa said...

mmmm! I could honestly eat dessert for my entire Thanksgiving meal! I love everything!

Marguerite said...

Eddie- It's no wonder you're always hungry, with nothing better to eat than bangers and mash, and baked beans on toast! lol And I promise you, if you lived in Cajun country, you would never eat those dreadful things again! lol And spoiling people is my specialty, cher! :)

lakeviewer- Thanks, I'm so glad you want to try it! The praline topping adds a lot of flavor. You're welcome and a Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, cher! Enjoy!

nanny- Thanks, cher! It's divine and worth every calorie. Turns ordinary pumpkin pie into heavenly! Have a great weekend!

Cloudia- Merci, so glad you like them and hope you try them. Thanks for coming by! Aloha, cher!

Lee- Thanks for your sweet comment! The chocolate cake is to die for and the pie is too. Hope you try at least one of them. Cheers!

Maggie- Thanks, both are sinfully delicious and rather high in calories. But who's counting on Thanksgiving! lol Lots of exercise, and small portions!

Mehmet Osman Çağlar said...

I was not hungry before I came. But now I feel hungry now dear Marguerite . Realy I don't know what to do, better as usual I get my ones and return back to Türkiye. Mon ami! Cheers! Wishing you a wonderful weekend with my great love. Zhivago

Eddie Bluelights said...

Yes I must refrain from eating rubbish and only eat your recommended food. I have just written 50 lines to that effect.

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving ~ Eddie

Laura said...

Marguerite-
You are such a good cook!
How about a cookbook?????

Happy Thanksgiving dear friend,

Laura
White Spray Paint

Anonymous said...

Yum.... what a wonderful assortment of yumminess.

kitchen flavours said...

Wow, all your desserts look really delicious! If we are neighbours, I would pop over for Thanksgiving! ^..^
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Wow! These desserts look awesome! Have a wonderful holiday. And thanks for stopping by Karen Gowan's blog and saying hi. Great to meet you.

Anonymous said...

Finally blog with valuable informations.

Magic of Spice said...

Wow, what a line up of delights. I really want to try that pumpkin pie, the topping is killer :)