Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cajun Crab Omelettes w/ Jalapeno Hashbrowns + A Cajun Waltz

After mentioning it in my last post, I've received a flurry of requests for my crab meat omelette recipe. This scrumptious omelette is a favorite at my house and is just packed with flavor. The taste of succulent lump crab meat, cheese, and veggies , paired with the heat of the jalapenos is divine, and sure to get your day started off right. Serve with jalapeno hash browns and cornmeal biscuits for a delightful breakfast that will please your family and guests. Bon appetit!

Crab Omelettes



3 tbs.'s butter
1/2 lb. lump crab meat or crawfish tails
6 eggs
1/2 cup half and half
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
Salt and Tabasco to taste
1 cup shredded cheese, (your choice)
2 tsp.'s minced garlic
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/8 cup each, green and red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Whisk in half and half, and Cajun seasoning and set aside. Melt butter in 1o inch skillet, and saute onions, peppers, jalapeno, and garlic for 5 minutes. Add crab meat, parsley, salt and Tabasco, stir gently and saute for 5 more minutes. Add egg mixture and top, evenly with cheese. Cook on low,  for 2 minutes, undisturbed, or until eggs start to set. Fold in half, cook for 3 minutes, flip and cook for 3 more minutes, or until cheese melts. Cut in half, or thirds,  and garnish with  parsley.  Serves 2 or 3,  depending on the appetite. Sinfully delicious!

Jalapeno Hash Browns


1 (24 ounce) package of frozen, hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 1/2 cups shredded, cheddar cheese
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup cooked, smoked ham, diced
1/2 cup or more pickled jalapeno slices
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 (8 oz.) container "light" sour cream

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1 tbs. Cajun  seasoning
1 tbsp. paprika
Few shakes Tabasco
Salt to taste


 
Combine all ingredients, except paprika and milk, in large bowl and mix well. Add milk to desired consistency and pour into a buttered 13x9 baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until bubbly and brown. Cest bon, cher!



To view my recipe for cornmeal biscuits, click here.



A Cajun Waltz

Here's another little clip I took at Whiskey River, of the crowd dancing to a Cajun waltz. Enjoy!



Hoping you all are having a wonderful week! Merci beaucoup for coming by!

23 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Oh these both look delicious; I thought of you yesterday because in the frozen section I saw crawfish tails and I bought some, now how to utilize them, I'll have to do a search on your blog, thanks for being there, hope you didn't get too much rain in that last storm.

Eddie Bluelights said...

You just keep these Marguerite masterpieces coming and I will devour them with gusto LOL. I already look like a bloated plutocrat so what the heck! Dig in chum, I keep saying to myself. Seriously it all looks fabulous which is what I expect from a fabulous hostess with the mostest!
Fancy I might have seen you on the Cajun Waltz gliding quickly across the screen - almost as though you were on roller skates LOL. See ya ~ Eddie

Pam said...

OMG! I want a huge sample of all of it right now. I am drooling and the omelet and potatoes are on my to do list.

Joanne said...

Marguerite, I've never eaten crawfish in my life! So I'm happy to say I live vicariously, foodwise, through your blog!

Momo said...

wow,this looks so scrumptious!

ellen abbott said...

I think I gained a few pounds just reading that hash browns recipe.

and I love a waltz!

Rosaria Williams said...

Oh yumnmnm!

Kittie Howard said...

We're gonna have those omelets for breakfast Sunday morning! It would be nice if this weather would clear and we could sit on the deck and sip a Bloody Mary as well.*sighs*

I adore anything with potatoes (but will pass on chocolate, I know, kinda weird!)

Thanks for the recipes, Cher. Everything I've made has turned out deeeelicious!

My book's hit a stumbling block - er, the cover. This is going to take some navigating.

nanny said...

Now that is a breakfast fit for a king!!!!
How's your weather? Looked pretty bad onGMA this morning.

Vagabonde said...

That really looks mouth watering. You always provide us with such great looking dishes – what a cook!

Drick said...

one of my favorite omelets but that hashbrown casserole has my tastebuds tingling.... and so does the sound of those biscuits

Marguerite said...

Linda- Thanks, great that you found some crawfish! Hope you enjoy them. You're welcome, cher! We only got about an inch of much needed rain.

Eddie- Merci beaucoup for the nice compliments, cher! So glad you enjoy my Cajun delights. Sorry, but it wasn't me rolling by. LOL And what on earth is a plutocrat? LOL

Pam- Thanks so much for your lovely comment and for stopping by! This is one of my favorite breakfasts. Worth the calories! Enjoy!

Joanne- Thanks, I wish that you could buy crawfish, up there. They are so delicious! But, you could order them from Cajungrocer.com :)

allison- So good to hear from you! Thanks, so glad you like the recipes and hope that you try them!

ellen- The hash browns won't put weight on you, unless you eat the whole pan! lol Thanks, I love to waltz, too.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Marguerite,
I had so much fun dancing away at Whiskey River. Now I am sitting down to this most fabulous breakfast. The omelettes,Hash Browns and Biscuits.I feel like I have been to a five star Bed and Breakfast for the day! Thank you so much for bringing this wonderful interlude to Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

kitchen flavours said...

Everything sound so delicious! I'm eyeing the Jalapeno Hash Browns! Looks really good!

Just a Girl said...

I just happened upon your blog, and I must say, it is making me drool! ;)I look forward to your future posts, I've always been a fan of Cajun culture, and the whole happening scene down south sounds like a lot of fun! :D

~Just a Girl

Marguerite said...

Rosaria- Thanks, so glad you like the menu! Have a wonderful weekend, cher!

Kittie- Merci beaucoup for your sweet comment, cher! You will love this breakfast. And thanks so much for trying my recipes, I'm so happy that ya'll enjoy them! You're very welcome and good luck with the book cover!

Nanny- Thanks, or a queen! lol To "die for", cher! Hope you try it! Our weather has been perfectly gorgeous! Have a great weekend!

Vagabonde- So good to hear from you! Merci for the lovely compliments, cher, and for coming by! Happy Spring!

Drick- Thanks, cher, so glad you like them! They are all fab and I hope you try them! Go heavy on the jalapenos for best results! :)

Miz Helen- Thanks so much for your wonderful comment! I'm so glad that you enjoyed everything! You're welcome, and thank you for hosting!

Amy said...

I'm hosting a wonderful tea sampler GIVEAWAY! Come check it out when you have time.

http://utry.it/2011/04/two-leaves-and-bud-tea-company-product.html

Amy
http://utry.it

Change Relationship said...

Looks so yummy. I will definitely try this one. Thanks for sharing.

Martha said...

You are seriously amazing!!! As soon as I move and get settled I am going to start using your blog as my cookbook. No really, I'm so serious. My family would be in food heaven!

Magic of Spice said...

Now this is an omelette! And the hash browns are simply delicious, plus biscuits...Wow!
P.S. My camera is a Nikon Coolpix S3000...not fancy at all but does a decent job :)

Anonymous said...

I always make omlettes for breakfast or dinner. They are easy and you can't go wrong with what you put in it. I have never thought about putting crab in it. I will try this! Come link it up to my new party goobyecityhellosuburbs

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to the party! My omlettes turned out great- I am adding this to my meal plan. Hope to see you lastest creation @ Workshop Wednesday, goobyecityhellosuburbs

Mike said...

I made the omlette and the hash browns the other night and they were outstanding! Oh my they are both soooo good! Thanks for the post!

Mike