Monday, November 7, 2011

Cajun Thanksgiving "Must Haves" + Cajun Boogie

Here are a few more scrumptious side dishes that are on my family's "must have" list for this Thanksgiving and are also on my table at many other times throughout the year. This first one is one of my faves and is sinfully delicious and totally worth the calories, cher. The topping is pure heaven and the rum adds a bit of decadence.! Enjoy!

Candied Sweet Potato Casserole

3 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup dark rum
1 tbs. vanilla extract
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tbs.'s butter



Topping
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tbs.'s butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 cups miniature marshmallows, optional

Place sweet potatoes in large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash when cooled slightly.
In medium bowl, mix  brown sugar, eggs, evaporated milk, butter, rum, and 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice. Add to sweet potatoes and mix well with a fork. Transfer to a 13x9 inch baking dish, dot with 2 tbs.'s butter, and cover with foil. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 to 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the topping. In medium bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, and  pumpkin pie spice. Cut in the butter with a fork and mix until crumbly. Stir in the pecans and top with marshmallows.

Remove casserole from the oven, and stir gently to blend. Top with pecan-marshmallow topping and bake uncovered for 10 more minutes or until golden brown.

*******
 And here is another fabulous recipe that I acquired from another one of my dear cousins, with a few tweaks added. If you have any vegetarians in your family, this one is sure to please.This stuffing is out of this world and has been on my Thanksgiving table ever since I had this divine dish at her house, a few years ago.

Caramelized Onion-Mushroom Stuffing

1 large loaf, (16 oz.) French bread, torn into bite sized pieces
1 stick butter
2 large yellow onions, chopped
1 lb. fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 tbs. Cajun seasoning
2 tbs.'s  fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3/4 to 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
 2 eggs, beaten

Arrange bread pieces in a single layer on a large baking sheet, sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden, turning once. Transfer to a large bowl.



In large, heavy skillet, melt the butter on medium heat. Add onions and stir and cook for about 15 minutes or until caramelized. Add mushrooms and celery, and cook and stir for 10 more minutes.







Add the veggie mixture and the herbs to the bread cubes and mix well. Add the broth to the skillet used to cook the veggies, and bring to a boil, scraping any brown bits. Add the hot stock to the bread mixture and season with the Cajun seasoning.




Add the eggs to the bowl and gently mix and then spoon stuffing into a (13" x 9") buttered baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for 10 minutes longer or until golden brown.

Note: This stuffing may be used to stuff a turkey or served as a delicious side dish.

I am sharing these at ~
These Chicks Cooked @ This Chick Cooks
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Potpourri Party @ 2805

*********
Cajun Boogie

I've had a special request for some more Cajun boogie. Here's a little clip that I took of one of my favorite traditional Cajun bands,  Balfa Toujour. They were really movin' the crowd at Festival Acadiens, and there was a whole lotta two-steppin' going on.

Balfa Toujour


Hope you're all having a wonderful week, filled with good times. Merci beaucoup for coming by!

27 comments:

judi/Gmj said...

you are one awesome Cajun lady!
such verve and style, always a pleasure to visit. and drool.

Linda Starr said...

If it's got rum it must be good Ha.

Cloudia said...

in my dreams I party at your place, Cher!




Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

< ° ) } } > <

Big Dude said...

I like both of your dressing recipes.

Anonymous said...

The stuffing sounds fabulous! Love onions & mushrooms.

Joanne said...

What great recipes, I love Thanksgiving time! But it's sneaking right up on me so quickly ... time to get my food shopping going :)

Eddie Bluelights said...

Agree with Cloudia!! LOL
Great food and I enjoyed the dancing too. Saw it at 4am our time when I got up for a drink. Made me feel hungry again LOL

Eddie Bluelights said...

Oh and congrats on your 550 tally for your followers. I expect, if they are anything like me, they will gorge themselves silly and put on a few pounds unless they start dancing . . . . and quick!! See ya cher!! LOL

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I'm not waiting until Thankgiving to try the stuffing. Yum!

Michelle B said...

That Caramelized Onion-Mushroom Stuffing really catches my eye! I'll have to make it. But it can't be for TG because if I don't make all our usual dishes, someone gets peeved! It'll be good no matter what day I make it, I'm positive.

I've been having trouble getting your feed (along with two other blogs I follow) in my google reader. Going to try unfollowing and refollowing to see if that helps.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Oh, that stuffing looks fabulous. Too bad I'm the only mushroom addict in the family.

By the way, I made your bread pudding with the rum sauce. Yummy!!! It tastes every bit as good as it looks. Thank you, ma'am!

nanny said...

More great recipes.....My list keeps getting longer and longer!!!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

My dad used to make a very similar version of this a lot in the fall and winter when I was a kid and I miss it so much, now I have to try your version.

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
I see one more great recipes!! Looks so yummy as always,come cook for me Ok..
Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my new Tablescape so sweet of you.
XXOO Diane

Gypsy Heart said...

LOVE the idea of adding the rum! So glad you share all the deliciousness with us...nothing like cajun cooking!

xo
Pat

Gypsy Heart said...

LOVE the idea of adding the rum! So glad you share all the deliciousness with us...nothing like cajun cooking!

xo
Pat

Jessica | Cajunlicious said...

I keep coming back to this over and over. I am in love with your Caramelized Onion-Mushroom Stuffing and it is getting added to my menu!

Marguerite said...

judi- Merci beaucoup for the lovely compliments, cher! The pleasure is all mine! Cheers!

Linda- You got that right, cher! Maybe I should rename it, "Rummy Sweet Potato Casserole". :)

Cloudia- Thanks, that's quite a compliment! One of these days, you will have to party here, for real! :)

Dude- Thanks, so glad you like them and hope you give them a try! Check out my Cajun Oyster Stuffing, too! (On "Cajun Thanksgiving Feast" post)

Erin- Thanks, this stuffing is one of the best I've ever had! Hope you try it and thanks for coming by!

Joanne- Thanks, they are both fab and I hope you try the stuffing. I always start planning early for T-day to avoid getting stressed out! :)

Nancy said...

Dinner at your house is definitely something special.

Pooch Purple Reign said...

looks amazing... canadian thanksgiving is past, but this would rock at christmas !
~laura xx

Miriam said...

Love the recipes! That stuffing looks to-die-for :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Arlee Bird said...

Gosh those sweet potatoes sound delectable. They're kind of like the ones I've always made except with added ingredients which undoubtedly make them even better.


Lee
Ann Carbine Best visits Wrote By Rote on Saturday 11/12/11

Miz Helen said...

Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and please come back soon.
Miz Helen

Kathryn Magendie said...

I am so discombobulated from all that has happened since July (and especially recently :-( ...) that I am still in October and keep forgetting it is almost Thanksgiving.

Always love stopping by here and seeing what is going on.

Smiling at you.

Karina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pat Tillett said...

Wow! This all looks so darn delicious! You are amazing...

Magic of Spice said...

These are both perfect and wonderful...and thanks for the Cajun boogie, how I have missed you! Sorry I have been missing so long, family thinks that must be taken care of...
Hope you are well my friend and I will try not to be so absent :)
Hugs