Monday, May 18, 2009

New Orleans Muffaletta + Cajun Boogie

Of all the wonderful cuisine that New Orleans is famous for, the Muff is one of my favorites. My favorite place to eat muffalettas -muff-uh-lot-uhs,- in New Orleans is Central Grocery, located on Decatur Street, in the French Quarter. The muffulatas, -moo-foo-let-tas-, as they are called at Central Grocery, are the real deal. Pure D. Sicilian! Sinfully delicious!

According to local folklore, the muffuletta was invented in 1906 by Signor Lupo Salvadore, the original owner of Central Grocery. More often, I make these scrumptious muffalettas at home, Cajun style. They are very easy to make and are a delicious addition to any celebration. Mini muffalettas can be made and served on large round platter for party buffets.

The quality of the bread is important. First you will need a 10 inch round French or Italian loaf with a good course texture, and a medium hard crust, and sesame seeds. Most bakeries and specialty bread stores carry this type of bread. And a good quality 16 oz. jar of Olive Salad. (I use Boscoli)

New Orleans Muffalettas


1 (10 inch) round loaf, French or Italian bread
1/4 lb. ham, thinly sliced
1/4 lb. Genoa salami, thinly sliced
1/4 lb. each, Mozzarella and Provolone cheese, sliced
1 cup olive salad, with oil
2 tbs.'s creole mustard

Split the loaf horizontally. Spread top half with Creole mustard. Spread each half equally with olive salad with oil. Place meats and cheeses in layers, alternating each on bottom half of bread.
Cover with top half and serve or, if desired, warm in a 325 degree oven for 5 minutes or until cheeses melt. Oh, Le Bon Manger, cher!

********
I received an email requesting a video clip of a Mardi Gras party. There was quite a party going on at The Blue Moon on Lundi Gras, better known as Mardi Gras Eve. This one's for you, Wayne!


Balfa Toujour

11 comments:

Kat said...

Marguerite, Where do I find olive salad? Probably not here in N. Al.
I have everything else to make them today. Can I make my own?

Marguerite said...

Kat,I buy the Boscoli at Wal Mart, in the olive section. lol But, yes you can make your own.

1 cup pitted black olives
1 cup pimento stuffed olives
1/2 cup virgin oil oil
2 tbsp.'s minced shallots
2tsp.'s minced garlic
Combine, mix well and refrigerate overnight to let the flavors mingle.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

My mouth is watering...you are so talented...I so NEED your blog!!! Lunch anyone?? ~Janine XO

Marguerite said...

Thanks so much for the compliments, cher. I love your blog, too!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

You are sooo good to me...I can't believe you actually dug through my archived posts!!!! How did I rate to find such a wonderful friend??? You have absolutely made my day!!! I am thrilled...I actually have a great new "real" and honest-to-goodness friend...YOU! BTW, I love your header...is that a place you love? I should be in bed...so I'll catch you later! ~Janine XO

Sniffles and Smiles said...

I've nominated you for the Noblesse Oblige Award...visit my blog to pick it up! Congrats...you certainly fit the award's description! I'm proud to know you. ~Janine XO

Marguerite said...

Wow, for the first time in my life, I'm speechless!! Thank you so much, Janine, for your kindness and generosity!! You have made my day!!

Nancy said...

I love your recipes. You must dance all that lovely food off!

Marguerite said...

LOL- Thank you. Most of my recipes are from my mother and grandmother.
I do love to dance and it's much more fun than going to the gym.

Greener Bangalore said...

oh my goodness....that looks so yummy......i involuntarily scratched my system monitor....

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I miss muffaletta's! This is he first time I've heard of putting creole mustard on them. What a unique combination with the Italian olive salad!