Saturday, July 18, 2009

Southern Banana Pudding + An Award

Here is another favorite Cajun dessert that is so easy and sinfully delicious. Eating it brings back so many memories of my childhood. Sometimes my mother would have a big bowl of banana pudding on the counter, when we got home from school, and we would dive into it, in a flash. Cest bon, cher. Enjoy!

Southern Banana Pudding

4 eggs
2 large cans of Pet milk
1 cup sugar
2 bananas, sliced
1 bag vanilla wafers
Cinnamon for sprinkling

In large Pyrex bowl, place 1/2 of the vanilla wafers and bananas.
Heat milk in medium saucepan and bring just to a boil. Remove from heat. Pour the eggs into the milk and return to low heat and add sugar. Continue cooking on low, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and pour 1/2 of the pudding over the vanilla wafers and bananas. Add other half and repeat. Sprinkle with cinnamon and top with whipped cream. Serves 6. Bon Appetit!

******
An Award



It was a surprise and an honor when my dear friend, Katherine, presented me with the Kreativ Blogger award. You will definitely want to check out her fabulous, step-by-step cooking blog, Smoky Mountain Cafe , that is filled with her wonderful recipes. She is always cooking up some sinfully delicious recipe and you can count on them being out of this world!! Thanks so much for this award and for your friendship, my Cajun friend. You are the best!

To accept this award, a nominated blogger must:

1. Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5. Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they have been nominated.
 
I am supposed to list seven things about myself that people might find interesting.

1. I have been practicing yoga for more than 20 years and was a vegetarian for 10 years.

 
2. If you dare to speak to me BEFORE I have my coffee, in the morning, it will not be a pretty conversation.

 
3. My friends call me a shrimp-o-holic because I love shrimp so much.

 
4. If there is a good party going on, I will usually find it or it will find me, whichever comes first.

 
5. The beach is my favorite place in the world. Any beach!

 
6. Dancing is my real passion and keeps the weight off and satisfies my soul.

 
7. I have a habit of eating chocolate chips, when I'm baking.

Now I am supposed to present this award to seven fellow kreativ bloggers. It is with great pleasure that I pass this award to these 7 extremely, creative bloggie friends. Be sure and visit them, soon.

Angie at Gumbo Writer

Irish at Irish Gumbo

The Good Cook at The Good Cook

19 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

Oooooo, Marguerite, that nanner puddin' looks some good! Thank you for the award. I shall display it proudly. Can't wait to check out the other blogs mentioned too.

Y'all got drenched yesterday, hunh? But it's good with all the strangely dry days we've had this summer.

Eddie Bluelights said...

Well thank you kind Lady Marguerite. First congratulations on revieving the award and my many thanks and gratitude for passing one seventh of it on to me. I shall nail it to my sidebar.
In accordance with the rules I shall nominate 7 people etc. I shall have another biggy awards ceremony in due course and you shall be a special guest of honour and I shall look forward to whispering sweet nothings in your lovely ear. Until then ~ Eddie

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, my...I cannot top Eddie...I am rolling with laughter!!! You are TOO GOOD to me, soul sister!!!! How did I rate to find a friend who awards me even when I'm on vacation???!!!??? You're the best!!! I will post about it when I return...but will put it in a very safe place until then...coming from you, I consider it a prized treasure!!! Great post!!! I see you used to be a vegetarian...one more similarity...I still am for the most part...but break down every once in a while...The banana pudding looks divine!!! I'm missing soooo much...you know I'll be scouring your archives when I return!!!! And you've got my favorite one of your headers up again!!!! Hurrah!!! Love and miss you!!! And thank you from the bottom of my lil' bloggie 'eart! ~Janine XO

Marguerite said...

Angie- You are most welcome, cher. You were a cinch for this one.

We got drenched again, today. Don't you love it? So nice and normal!

The kids devoured the nanner puddin and all I got was one small dish.

Marguerite said...

Eddie- After two POTD's in one month, I figured that you deserved another award for your creative writing and photos. And I admire the fact that you are graciously accepting it, unlike someone else we know. lol The pleasure was all mine, cher! Merci, I will be looking forward to it!!

Marguerite said...

S&S- Eddie is a hard act to follow. lol Thanks so much for the flattering comments, cher! You rate because you have a wonderfully creative blog and I love your photos, art, display, and most of all, your writing. We all miss you, too. Hope that you are having a fun summer and that you will be returning soon. We have so much to catch up on! Blessings!

Joanne said...

Congrats on receiving the Kreative Blogger Award - much deserved here!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend ...

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for thinking of me!!! That really does touch my heart...especially after spending time with a huge group of bloggers from all over the country and Canada.

You will definitely have to join us next year!!!

BTW...we have a lot in common!!!

david mcmahon said...

Thanks for the visit and the kind comment. Cajun-style cooking works a treat in our family. And shrimps? Yup, they are great on the BBQ!

Marguerite said...

Joanne- Thanks so much for your kind comment, cher! The weekend was a blast, here. Hope that yours was fun, too. I really enjoyed your post.

Marlene- You are most welcome; it was my pleasure. Can't wait to hear about Blogfest. You are so right, on the btw. (bird's of a feather...) Hope things are better on the home front for T.J. :)

David- Welcome to Cajun Country! So glad that your family likes Cajun cuisine. Check out my Cajun Fourth of July Cookout post for a fantastic grilled shrimp recipe.
Bon appetit and thanks so much for stopping by.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Marguerite, you have one of the most amazing food blogs I have ever had the pleasure of finding. You deserve this award and so many more.

Now that pudding...wow brings back so many memories of when my Memere made a banana pudding so very similar when I was growing up.

Marguerite said...

Katherine- Merci for the sweet compliments and thank you so much, again, for presenting me with the award. It means so much, coming from a fellow Cajun. Have a great week!

sfauthor- Thanks a lot for visiting. And no, I didn't know about these yoga books. They look great. Many thanks for the link.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Congrats! I enjoy coming by to get a taste of Cajun hospitality.

Irish Gumbo said...

Whenever I hear the phrase "banana pudding" I always think of the song by Southern Culture On The Skids ("puddinpuddinpuddin...banana puddin', banana puddin'...somethin' funky with the skin on top...day old and bold, baby!")

That, and 'Nilla wafers.

I also saw where Marlene lives right next door to my old hometown. Small world!

'Nuff of that, though. Marguerite, thank you kindly for the award! Now I'm blushing and stuff!

Marguerite said...

Elizabeth- Merci, cher! It makes me very happy if I can make you feel at home. That's the Cajun way. Cheers!

Marguerite said...

Irish- What a hilarious song. I love your sense of humor! Yes, it is a small world. You should get to know Marlene. She knows how to party and has Cajun connections.

You're so welcome, and so deserving of this award.

Vagabonde said...

Thank you so much for considering my blog worthy of an award Marguerite. I appreciate your reading my posts and making comments but I do not feel comfortable accepting awards – your enjoying my blog is reward enough for me. I hope you will continue reading it, and commenting on it. For myself, I always look forward to reading your interesting posts and great recipes.

Marguerite said...

Vagabonde- You're quite welcome, cher! Merci for your kind and thoughtful comments. I love your blog and think that you do an outstanding job. As long as you write I will follow. :)

cajun restaurants greensboro nc said...

New Orleans Bar and Grill fun atmosphere and food is so good! Food comes out piping hot which is a great thing!