Saturday, July 11, 2009

Spicy Crab and Shrimp Jambalaya + Weekend Lagniappe'

Here is one of the most sinfully delicious Cajun recipes of all time! With crabs in season, right now is the perfect time to make a big pot of this fabulous Louisiana favorite. It can easily stand on it's own as an entree with a big tossed salad and french bread, or it can be a delectable side dish to accompany another seafood dish. Oh cest bon, cher! One bite of this divine jambalaya will send you into orbit! This is a real guest pleaser and you will be asked for the recipe, I guarantee it! Enjoy! Le bon, manger, cher!

Spicy Crab and Shrimp Jambalaya

2 tbs.'s olive oil
1 lb. or more of medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
1 lb. lump crab meat
1 cup, each, of "the trinity", (onions, celery, and bell peppers), chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups seafood or vegetable stock
1 large can crushed tomatoes w/ juice
 1 small can tomato sauce
2 cups uncooked rice
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. each, paprika and garlic powder
Tabasco to taste

In a large heavy pot, saute the shrimp, garlic and salt in the olive oil, for 5 minutes. Add the spices and the trinity and saute, while stirring, for 5 more minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot. Add the crab meat and tomatoes w/juice, stir and bring to a boil. Lower heat, and add the rice, stir and simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered. Then add stock, tomato sauce, and Tabasco. Bring to a second boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes, stirring once, half way through. Add parsley during the last ten minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir gently before serving.
Serves 6 Bon Appetit!

Here's a little Festival Lagniappe' that I thought ya'll might enjoy with your jambalaya!
Let the Good Times Roll, Cher!


Cajun Jam w/ Roddie Romero and Friends




Keith Frank and the Soileau Family Band

13 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

Mmmmm! Have you ever tried it as pastalaya?

Marguerite said...

Angie- I've never had pastalaya, but a friend of mine makes it and swears by it. Hope you have a great Sunday, cher!

Nancy said...

My husband loves to make and eat jambalaya - I'm passing this one off to him!

California Girl said...

Marguerite, this looks easy and delicious and since I can buy the lump crab instead of waiting for the whole ones to show up at the store, I'm going to try it. I'll let you know the results.

Marguerite said...

Nancy- How lucky for you that your husband loves to make and eat jambalaya. Hope that ya'll enjoy it!!

Marguerite said...

Thanks, Cal. Girl- It is very easy to make and with lump crab and shrimp, you can't go wrong! I'm having a Sunday special in your honor. Cheers, cher!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Crab and Shrimp jambalaya is one of my favorites....of course I just love jambalaya any way I can get it!

ellen abbott said...

I'm just now catching up. Thanks for visiting my blog last week and I'm glad you like my stories. Please visit again.

We found a good fish market (have their own boat) in the country so I'll (er, he'll) be trying some of your recipes.

Marguerite said...

Katherine- I'm sure that you also have a good jambalaya recipe or two. Being from New Orleans, you would have to! The crab and shrimp one is my favorite, too!

Ellen- Thanks for visiting and welcome to Cajun Country. I hope that you can get your hubby to try some Cajun recipes. lol

Diane said...

I think that recipe would burn some hair off my chest! Wow.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Marguerite...your blog always makes me hungry...very bad for a diet...LOL! Thanks for stopping by, and leaving me a message even while I am on break!! I miss you!! Much love~Janine XO

Vagabonde said...

I was in the States the first time I had okra, as I never had it in France. Now I like to eat it in many different ways. I’ll make your Creole Shrimp and Creole Gumbo soon. I turned into a real Southerner as one of my favorite meal now is a dish of fried okra, turnip green, fried green tomatoes with jalapeno corn bread – yummy!

Marguerite said...

Diane- Occasionally I add jalapenos to this seafood jambalaya! Now that one might burn! lol This version is milder. Thanks for visiting!

S&S- So good to see you! This recipe isn't as high in calories as the meat version, but you could just do a veggie jambalaya and substitute the seafood with portabello mushrooms. Yum! I miss you, too, and will be visiting your archives soon.

Vagabonde-I love fried okra,fried green tomatoes and jalapeno cornbread, too. See my archives for the jalapeno cornbread recipe. (March, 09') Definitely try the shrimp & okra gumbo. You'll love it!