Sunday, July 25, 2010

Nanny's Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins + An Award

Here's one of my favorite muffin recipes, handed down to me, by my dear godmother. She was well known for her delectable baked goods and also made these fabulous muffins with blackberries. I have many memories of going blackberry picking with her, as well. Both cest bon, cher, and perfect with a hot cup of my favorite "Community" brand coffee or tea! Enjoy!


Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tsp.'s baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh blueberries or blackberries

In large bowl, cream the butter and sugars. Add egg and mix well. In small bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add to the butter mixture, alternately with the buttermilk, until just mixed. Fold in blueberries.


Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups , 2/3 full and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven, for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden. Bon appetit!

********

 
Some time ago, I was presented with the "Life is Good Award", by my dear friend, Eddie Bluelights. Merci beaucoup, cher, for this special award! He is the author of the very entertaining blogs, Clouds and Silvery Linings, and Plato's Procrastinations, each representing a side of his dual personality! He is also the host of the popular "Sunday Roast", where he is merciless in roasting his fellow bloggers, while at the same time, honoring them. Please do visit him, when you get a chance.
In order to accept this award, I must answer the 10 questions below and pass the award to six fellow bloggers.

1.
If you blog anonymously, are you happy doing it that way; if you are not anonymous do you wish you had started out anonymously so you could be anonymous now? 

I chose to use my first name only, because you never know who is lurking out there, and it's worked out very well.

2. Describe one incident that shows your inner stubborn side.
It would have to be the time that I refused to obey my seventh grade teacher and got suspended from school, because of it.

3. What do you see when you really look at yourself in the face in the mirror?
Big green eyes and usually a smile. :)


 4. What is your favorite summer cold drink?
A frozen Pina Colada.


 5. When you take time for yourself, what do you do?
Go dancing!


 6. Is there something you still want to accomplish in your life? What is it?
Yes, I want to publish my Cajun cookbook that I've been working on for years!
 

7. When you attended school, were you the class clown, the class overachiever, the class shy person, or always ditching school? Describe who you were if not one of these.
I was the "Ann Landers" of the class. Everyone came to me for advice on everything from their love life to their homework.


8. If you close your eyes and want to visualize a very poignant moment in your life, what do you see?
When my daughter walked down the aisle on her wedding day.


 9. Is it easy for you to share your true self in your blog or are you more comfortable writing posts about other people or events?
It all depends on my mood, and the subject of the post.
 

10. If you had the choice to sit and read or talk on the phone, which would you do and why?
I'm not a phone person and I love to read, so it would have to be "read".

WHEW! Gee Eddie, this must be what it feels like to get tortured, I mean, roasted! lol
I know, it's been almost a year, since you invited me, but someday, I promise, I will!

And without further adieu, I'd like to pass this lovely award to six fellow bloggers who truly do make life good! Congrats to all! Cheers!

Angie @ Gumbo Writer

Dee @ Homesick Cajun

Drick @ Drick's Rambling Cafe'

Katherine @ Smoky Mountain Cafe'

Linda @ Blue Star Gallery

Nanny @ The Good Life


Please pay them a visit, and tell them I sent you. You'll be glad that you did!
Merci beaucoup for stopping by!


20 comments:

GYPSYWOMAN said...

oh, what yummy goodies in your basket today, dear marguerite! now, off to find the cornmeal!!!

Eddie Bluelights said...

Why thank you Marguerite for your very kind words concerning my blogs - also for your excellent award ceremony and once again congratulations on your award - you truly deserve one or two of you nanny's Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins (and so do I? LOL).

Congratulations also to your award nominees, one whom is soon to be roasted alive! LOL. Guess who. Oh regarding your roast, promises! promises! Are you on question 3 yet?

I loved your questions and may I deal with each one in turn?
1.I think you are wise to use just your Christian name. I did the same because otherwise there would be hordes of screaming ladies running after me and I would have no place to hide LOL. (I wish)
2. What words of wisdom from your teacher did you refuse to obey? We would love to hear more!
3. Your big green eyes would certainly make me smile - with or without the mirror. LOL
4. Your drink is not known to me but you have excellent taste and that is good enough for me.
5. I would have guessed this LOL
6. Best wishes with the cook book and it would be wonderful if it became a best seller. Remember your humble friend, Bluelights LOL
7. Does not surprise me at all.
8. Yes, I understand that very well! My daughter is getting married next year and will be on her daddy's arm! Sob Sob. How can I give her away?
9. Blooming heck! You don't give much away, do you? LOL
10. Yes! Reading wins in my book (LOL at my unintentional pun). I like the radio though - a good play where you can use your imagination.

I await your roast with baited breath and promise I will be only use gas factor 10 when you are on the roasting spit.

Great fun ~ speak soon ~ your dear friend, Eddie x

Kittie Howard said...

Cher, I didn't waste a sec printing this recipe! Lordy, but every calorie will be worth it. We used to pick blackberries in the back pasture (one for the bucket, one for the tummy), and Ma would surprise us with one of her delights.

I really, really, really hope that Cajun cookbook is in your future (er, starting tomorrow) for you've got some dynamite recipes. I've got all these LA cookbooks in the kitchen, but, Cher, your recipes are far, far better. They've got flavor (for I've tried more than a few.) And I'm not just sayin' that!!--On this end, the mojo's back, Susan's doing better than one would hope, not chasin' my tail as much, and hope to pass on that lovely award you gave me pretty soon.

nanny said...

How sweet of you!!!
When I first saw the award button, I thought, Oh I love that....Life is definitely good!!!
Now I have to think about my answers....but these are good questions....
thank you Marguerite......
and nanny's muffin recipe to boot/ha

Dee said...

Thank you so much girl! Can't wait to do this one!

I was on Food Networks website the other day and they were talking about a place in Breaux Bridge that makes a boudin omelet for breakfast...be still my beating heart! I think I'm going to have to go eat there while I'm there!!

Drick said...

oh no - Eddie done put da voodoo on me........thanks Marguerite, I knew I could depend on you, payback and all that jazz.... just foolin' acually, I always feel blessed when awarded and I appreciate your thoughtfulness... but to let you in on a secret, I have about 5 awards I shamelessly haven't had the time to respond to, BUT, I will put this one at the top...promise to you and to Eddie (by the way, I do like his humor I read in his comments)...

John said...

I'll wait for the cookbook; have a good one.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Well, thank you, ma'am! I'm honored to accepte the award from such a wonderful Cajun, cook, and bon vivant! :D

PS Eddie really IS a great guy!

Marguerite said...

GYPSY- Thank you, my dear. I hope you try them! So glad that you stopped by, cher! Enjoy!

Eddie- You're welcome, cher and thanks again, for giving it to me. Please, have two muffins, I insist. lol Now that roast should be an interesting read, and I'm looking forward to it. Be sure and turn up the heat! lol Actually, I'm still on question 2! lol You are sooo canaille!

Kittie- Merci beaucoup for your sweet compliments, cher! You are such a dear friend to say such nice things. Glad to hear that you got your mojo back, take your time.

nanny- You're welcome, cher! I couldn't think of anyone who qualified for this award, more than you do! You know how to live!

Dee- You're very welcome, mon amie! My pleasure to return the favor. A boudin omelette? Now that is about as Cajun as it gets, cher! lol

Drick- Don't say that too loud, we wouldn't want Eddie to get any ideas about a gris gris! lol What goes around comes around and you totally deserve this award and all the others! I know that it's hard to find the time, but I try to. He is a hilarious, isn't he?

Laura Martone said...

OMG! Blueberries and cornmeal are two of my favorite ingredients... I can't wait to try out this recipe. Thanks, Marguerite's godmama!

Cloudia said...

cool! Ima check them out, Sistah






Warm Aloha from Waikiki :)

Comfort Spiral

Hamburger Recipe said...

awesome! looks like so delicious! I wanna take it testy! :)

Marguerite said...

John- Thanks, hoping to have it together in the Spring! Have a great weekend!

Angie- You're welcome, sha! Yes, he is and as canaille as they come! Birds of a feather... lol

Laura- Great to hear from you! Thanks, so glad you like them, cher! Enjoy! Happy weekend!

Eddie- Yes, not only is Drick a cool guy, but he is one hellavu good cook! Of course you are nice! Now, cher, when I call you canaille, as any Cajun would know, that is meant a compliment! And regarding the "gris gris", well that was just a little joke between two Cajuns! lol

Cloudia- Merci, cher, they are all fun to read! Have a fabulous weekend in paradise! Aloha!

HR- Thanks, so glad you like and hope that you try them! Thanks for stopping by! Have a fun weekend!

Kathryn Magendie said...

As usual, I am HUNGRY when I come here *laugh*

I am so disappointed - I was all ready for a trip to South Louisiana in October and had to cancel *WAHH* - part of that trip was in New Orleans to stay in the Monteleone *waahhhhh* -- oh well, maybe another time . . . *pouts*

I love reading about people in these "ten things" or etc - :-)

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Thank you for thinking of me Marguerite! I have done a meme in a long time.

Your blueberry muffins look to die for. How lucky to have your nannan hand this recipe down to you!

sm said...

yummy goodies

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Oh, your daughter walking down the aisle. What a lovely response.

Congrats on the award.

Eddie Bluelights said...

Thanks for the explanation Marguerite - and many thanks for the compliment. I am highly honoured.

Marguerite said...

Kathryn- Thanks, cher, I'll take that as a compliment! Aww, that's too bad! October is usually such a nice time to be in N.O. I love the Monteleone, too. Glad you enjoyed it! I always feel kinda silly, answering them. lol

Katherine- You're so welcome, cher! You do know how to live the good life, for sure! Thanks, yes I am, my Nanny could bake better than anyone!

sm- Hi and welcome! Thanks, so glad you like them! Thanks for stopping by!

Midlife- So good to hear from you! Thanks, it was a special moment that I will never forget. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Eddie- You're so welcome, cher! I am the one who is honored to have a good friend, like you! Cheers!

Linda Starr said...

Hi Marguerite, thanks for the award; I'll have to think about the questtions and gather my responses for a post. Thanks ever so much, these are fun learning more about you. Those zinneas are great.