Saturday, November 6, 2010

Jalapeno Cornbread Dressing + Weekend Fun

It's that time of year again, to begin planning my Thanksgiving menu. Here is one of my favorite sides that is requested again and again, by my family, year after year. This recipe is my mother's basic recipe for cornbread dressing, but with a few tweaks, making a fabulous recipe even better. It's a scrumptious side dish that goes well with a ham, as well. When I tell you that it is "to die for", cher, then you know that I mean it! 

Jalapeno Cornbread Dressing

Dressing Mix
 
1lb. ground round beef
1/2 pound fresh ground pork
2 cups beef broth or stock
1 cup each (onions, bell peppers, and celery), finely chopped
2 cloves garlic , minced

1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
Salt and Tabasco to taste

1tbs. Cajun seasoning, divided
2 tbs.'s Worcestershire sauce

In a large Dutch oven, brown beef and pork with 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning. When meat is browned, skim excess oil and return to heat and add Worcestershire sauce. Add the Cajun trinity, jalapenos, and garlic, and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add beef broth or stock, and other tsp. Cajun seasoning, and cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add salt and Tabasco to taste. Meanwhile, make the cornbread, which can also be made a day ahead.


Jalapeno Cornbread

2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
1 tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

1 tbs. sugar
1 can cream style corn

1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped


In a large bowl, beat the buttermilk, eggs and oil until well blended. In separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together and add to the wet mixture. Mix well and stir in the corn and jalapenos. Pour into a greased cast iron skillet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into 8 pieces.

Crumble cornbread pieces into dressing mix and blend gently until desired consistency is reached. Transfer to a baking pan, top with pats of butter and heat through, before serving. Out of this world, with turkey gravy, too ! Serves 8. Bon appetit!

**********
Weekend Fun!


We had a total blast at this week's T.G.I.F. block party, last night, in downtown Lafayette. There was a nip in the air, and it was a bit chillier than it has been, but still a very nice evening for the continuing Downtown Alive, Fall concert series. The series will continue through Nov. 26th.


One of my favorite bands, Lil' Band of Gold, was entertaining the crowd with their special brand of rock n' roll and swamp pop music.This band is comprised of some of the best musicians that Acadiana has to offer, and were really rockin' the crowd. And there was a whole lotta jitter-bugging going on!


A few jitterbugs on the dance floor and off came the jackets. I was able to get this little clip, before my camera batteries died! Tomorrow, I'll be going to the Giant Omelette Festival, in my hometown of Abbeville, where chefs from all over the world will unite to make a 5,000 egg and crawfish omelette! Guaranteed to be a blast! Oh the life of a Cajun is so much fun! Lassiez les bon ton rouler, cher!

Lil' Band of Gold


Hope you all have a fun and fabulous weekend! Merci beaucoup for coming by!

21 comments:

Eddie Bluelights said...

Sorry I was late for the last post - I was waiting at the airport for a lass called Cleo driving a limo and wearing a red rose but she never showed up. LOL
Seriously, I was just about to compliment you on your beautiful blog header when it changed before my very eyes to another beautiful photo - this is wonderful too.
Your menus look divine, Marguerite.
I have been very busy lately hence my absence last time - the week has flown by and my Sunday Roasts are taking longer to do - Hugs ~ Eddie

Eddie Bluelights said...

Crumbs - the header's changed yet again - I'm dizzy and thought I was in a different place but the sweet aroma of your Jalapeno Cornbread Dressing soon put me right LOL
btw another great header.

Rosaria Williams said...

I do want something new for Thanksgiving. This is just the item!

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

The cornbread sounds fantastic. I'm printing this recipe! Happy weekend to you.

Joanne said...

I like this band, Marguerite. They've got lots of spunk, keepin' things rocking there :)

Pooch Purple Reign said...

i love that description... swamp pop
~laura x

Dee said...

I just told hubby that I'm gonna make this for Thanksgiving!! His family makes their "stuffing" out of bread...regular bread. It's awful lol! This sounds yummy!! Thanks for sharing cher'!

Drick said...

such a great dressing, love the consistency of it, my kind of eating - just made a andouille type dressing the other day, for future post - must be that time of year...

Kathryn Magendie said...

Dressing --YES ... "stuffing with nasty bread* -NO!

laughing

GMR and I have this: Stuffing made with bread versus cornbread dressing thing -- I'd never had stuffing made with bread until I met him! Wait, one other time I had it and thought "what in the world is this soggy bread stuff; where's the cornbread dressing *waaahhh*" haw!

I have a cookbook that is about Yankee Vs Deep South cook and there is a chapter section on dressing vs stuffing -

Mandy said...

Oh that looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing it! We love corn bread in my house!

And thank you for all your recent comments on my blog! I sure appreciate it. It's so crazy that I'm writing a cookbook but I'm realy enjoying it and so proud that I'm putting it all together for the benefit of others. You should DEFINITELY write your own cookbook. You already have most of the work done with this blog. I'd definitely buy a copy. You can do it. If I can do it, anyone can! I never really even cooked much until this past year and look at me now.... It's so fun and a new, creative outlet for me that I never knew could be possible! :-) Thanks for your encouragement and for being a friend!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

great dressing love the heat and spiceiness!

Magic of Spice said...

Wonderful dressing...I always have to make a "meat" version and a veggie one,
so I'm thinking this one is it :)

velva said...

Jalapeno is a great way to kick-up the flavor of a cornbread stuffing. My parents make a basic cornbread stuffing very Thanksgiving. their version could benefits from your tweaking.

btw, I made your spicy and sweet chicken with the beer rice. It was a hit with my family. My son loved it. Thanks.

Marguerite said...

Eddie- She must have gotten hung up gathering some more roses. lol I know, I couldn't make up my mind! lol Thanks, cher, so glad you like them! It's quite all right, I understand!

I finally settled on this one, for now! lol Thanks again!

lakeviewer- Thanks, so glad you like it and want to try it! It is divine, if a bit high in calories, but who's counting at Thanksgiving! lol

Trish- Thanks, I'm so happy you want to try it! It won't disappoint, I promise you. Enjoy! Thanks for coming by!

Joanne- This band is comprised of all the best area musicians that only play together, as this band, on rare occasions. The guitar player, C.C. Adcock, is awesome, and the drummer is great, too, and is my cousin! Glad you enjoyed it

Pooch- Thanks, Swamp Pop is a genre of music that was very popular here, in the 60's and is still very popular today! Thanks for stopping by, cher!

Cloudia said...

LOVE that nip in the air!



Aloha from Waikiki :)

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


<°)}}><

Arlee Bird said...

I am such a big dressing fan. I think a dressing buffet would be good. Just like Baskin-Robbins--32 kinds of dressing. Man I'd get stuffed!
The jalapeno cornbread dressing does sound good, but I don't think it could take the place of the oyster dressing I fix for myself at Thanksgiving. I always have to make some fruit and sausage dressing cause most of the family doesn't like (or should I say, they're afraid to try) the oyster dressing. I was raised on the stuff and for many years it was the only kind of dressing I'd ever had.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Quay Po Cooks said...

Jalapeno cornbread dressing will please my family for sure. All of us are hot stuff! haha..

GYPSYWOMAN said...

oh, yeah! i'm home at last - home at last!!! yummmmm!

years ago, i began putting sausage into my cornbread dressing, plus red apple chopped up and walnuts and/or pecans [pecans picked from my own trees!] -

now, still another delicious recipe to try! thanks so much, lady!!!

Anonymous said...

Partay......

Love this recipe. Also super new header photo.

UrMomCooks said...

Luv the cornbread recipe - absolutely required for dressing! This looks delicious!

Marguerite said...

Dee- So good to hear from you, cher! I hear ya! I'm so happy that you're going to make it! Once he eats this dressing, he'll never want bread stuffing, again! lol You're welcome!

Drick- Thanks for the sweet compliment, cher! I know that you are a man who knows his dressings! I'll be over, soon, to see that one you just posted! It looks divine!

Kathryn- lol! I know exactly what you mean, cher! Unless you are eating my oyster stuffing, made with French bread! Will be posting it soon! Stay tuned!

Mandy- Great to hear from you! Glad you like it and hope that you try it! Your cookbook sounds awesome and I want a signed copy! Mine will be ready, one of these years! lol You're very welcome, cher!

Eddie- Merci for dropping by, again! lol Wait till you see my Thanksgiving spread, you'll want to move in! lol Love your new profile pic! It was so nice of her to create it for you! Cheers!

Claudia- Hi and welcome! I'm delighted that you stopped by! Thanks for the nice compliment, I'm so glad you like it!