Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Baked Chicken w/ Beer Rice + Bayou Boogie

Here's a family favorite that's sure to please and so easy for those busy days. It's sweet and spicy flavors will delight your taste buds and have you going back for more!  My son loves this dish and had two big plates! Serve with Beer Rice, (recipe below), a big tossed salad, and hot, crusty French rolls to mop up the sweet and spicy sauce. Out of this world! Le bon manger', cher!



Sweet and Spicy Baked Chicken
2 lbs. chicken pieces, (thighs, breasts, legs)
1 tbs. or more Cajun seasoning
Worcestershire sauce
Salt and Tabasco to taste

Season chicken pieces, with salt and Cajun seasoning in large baking pan. Shake on Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco, on each piece,
cover with foil,  and refrigerate for one hour or overnight.

 Sauce
1/2 cup ketchup 
1/2 cup salsa,  jarred or homemade
1/4 cup water
1 cup orange marmalade
1 tsp. yellow mustard
1 tsp.. Tabasco sauce
1 tsp. paprika

1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce

Combine all of the above ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer for 2o minutes, stirring often. If sauce is too thick, add a little water.

Meanwhile, bake the chicken in a 350 degree oven, for 10 minutes on each side, to brown. Then, pour sauce over chicken and bake for 15 more minutes. Turn and baste other side with some of the sauce and bake for 15 more minutes. Cest bon, cher! Enjoy!

 *******
 Beer Rice

1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 cups boiling water
2 chicken bouillion cubes
1 bottle (12 0z.) beer,  (I used Corona)
1 1/2 cups raw rice
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning



Dissolve bouillion cubes in boiling water in large saucepan. Stir in everything else and bring to a second boil.  Lower heat, cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed.

*******
Here' a little clip that I took at Festival Acadiens,  in October. Kevin Naquin and the Ossun Playboys were rockin' the crowd at the La Salle de Danse tent. Several  friends of mine were really cutting the rug. This one's for you, Nancy! Let the good times roll, cher!

Kevin Naquin and the Ossun Playboys


Hope ya'll are having a wonderful week! Merci for stopping by!

22 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

That beer rice is interesting! I can't wait to try it, with or without the yummy spicy and sweet chicken. Uh, I'm now hungry again.

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

It all looks interesting. Fortunately, I ate a while ago.

Joanne said...

Okay Marguerite, I'm not too fancy of a cook, so this chicken recipe is right up my alley, it looks pretty easy for me to take on :)

Pat Tillett said...

Beer rice? I'm writing down that one! Thanks...

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Sounds delish!

Linda Starr said...

Catsup and orange marmalade and some tabasco, sounds delicious I'm going to try this, I have all the ingredients right in my fridge.

John said...

Certainly a dish worth eating, but I won't compete with your son! Two plates!

Marguerite said...

lakeviewer- Thanks, so glad you like it! I meant to change the beer quantity to 12 oz.'s or 1 bottle. And my fave to use is Corona. Guess I'll have to do an edit. lol

Trish- Thanks, always a good idea, when visiting! lol Merci for stopping by!

Joanne- Thanks, so happy you like it and want to try it! It's very easy and so delish! Cheers, cher!

Pat- Thanks, hope you try it! The beer cooks out, but leaves a good flavor!

Mary- Thanks, hope you give it a try! So glad you stopped by!

Linda- Merci, cher, you'll be glad you did! You know I would never steer you wrong! lol

John- Thanks, at 6'4"tall and 225 lbs., he can really pack it away!

Martha said...

Sounds great! So glad I found your blog, I love Cajun food! :-)

Drick said...

these two recipes have me shaking in my chair .... what outstanding flavor with the chicken and the beer rice is out of sight too.... fabulous, I can see why it is a favorite...

nanny said...

Yum.. easy too!!! They look wonderful!!!

Velva said...

There is absolutely no reason that I cannot make this dish. I have all the ingredients. I am making this tomorrow evening. Thanks.
Does this mean I can say that I cooked a Cajun dish?

Pooch Purple Reign said...

ooo ya i bet that meal rocks! i wish i lived somewhere warm....
cheers
~laura x

Cloudia said...

Oh this made me purely hungry, Cher!

You are a jolly friend and I'm so glad we met. Cajun land lives in me through your blog - even when I'm not here. Thanks for the joy :)

And y'know, usually I 'hide" so thanks for your nice comment about my photo over at my place.


Merci d'être un ami!



Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


<°)}}><

chris said...

Beer and rice, miam miam

Mehmet Osman Çağlar said...

As usual, very tasty images make me hungry dear Marguerite .There is a reward for you in my blog. Can you accept it? Have a nice weekend full of happiness and joy.
Hugs and love, Zhivago

Chris said...

The beer rice caught my eye, sounds like it would be a great side dish to some smoked ribs.

Marguerite said...

Martha- Hi and welcome! I'm so glad you found it too! If you love Cajun food, you're in the right place, for sure! Thanks so much for stopping by and for following!

Drick- Merci for your sweet comment, cher! Both are yummy and I hope you give them a try! Use a good Mexican beer for the rice. Have a wonderful weekend!

nanny- Thanks, so glad you like them! They are both so easy and I hope that you try them! Cheers! Happy weekend!

Velva- Thanks, so happy you want to try it. It's very spicy, but the heat can be turned down by using mild salsa and cutting the Tabasco in half. Enjoy! Yes, it does! lol

Pooch- Thanks, cher, it definitely does! It's a little chilly here, so, I'll bet it's getting more than a little frosty up there! Stay warm and have a great weekend! Cheers!

Linda Starr said...

I named some prawns after you on my blog.

Eddie Bluelights said...

I'm late for the party this time alas - missed the plane but dropping in for the next post LOL

I'm starving! Just missed one of your meals but I'll have a double portion on next post! - phew!! puff pant!! Hugs ~ Eddie

Marguerite said...

Cloudia- Merci beaucoup for your lovely comment, cher! I'm so glad to have you as a friend, too! And you're welcome, it's my pleasure to share it all with you! Cheers!

chris- Hi and welcome! Thanks so much for stopping by and for your nice comment!

Zhivago- Merci beaucoup, mon ami, for your sweet comment and the lovely award! I gladly accept and am very honored! Hope your weekend is wonderful, too! Cheers, cher!

Chris- Hi and welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by! The rice is fab with any kind of BBQ! Enjoy! Thanks for coming by!

Linda- Thanks so much, I am totally honored to have a recipe named after me! And it looks delicious!

Eddie- lol You crack me up, cher! Trust me, you'll want to have a double portion of my fabulous Jalapeno Cornbread Dressing! lol

Magic of Spice said...

Beer rice...now that is cool :)
This chicken dish would be a hit with my boys too :)