Sunday, February 6, 2011

More Decadent Cajun Desserts

In addition to the menu on my two previous posts, I will be serving the following desserts, for Super Bowl Sunday. They are all very easy to make,  divinely delicious, and will have your guests begging for more!  They would also be perfect for Valentine's Day, Mardi Gras parties, or just anytime you're in the mood for something totally decadent. And all worth the calories, cher! Enjoy!

Bourbon Brownies w/ Praline Icing

1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbs.'s water
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1 tsp.vanilla extract
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 to 3  tbs.'s bourbon

In large saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, and water. Cook, over medium heat, until just boiling. Add chocolate chips, and stir until melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Stir in the eggs, bourbon, and vanilla, and beat lightly. Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt and pecans and mix well. Spread the batter into prepared 8x8 baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes and cool in the pan. Top with Praline Icing, (recipe below), if desired. Sinfully delicious!

Praline Icing
 
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp. almond extract
3/4 cup chopped pecans

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, bring the first 3 ingredients to a boil. Boil for one minute, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar and almond extract until smooth. Add pecans and continue to stir for about 3 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken. Pour onto cooled brownies. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
 


Luscious Lemon Margarita Bars

2 cups plus 4 tbs.'s flour
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
2 sticks butter, softened, and cut into chunks

4 large eggs
1 (10 oz.) can frozen margarita mix, thawed
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
Juice of one small lemon
2 tsp.'s tequilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13 inch baking pan with butter or Baker's Joy.

Crust
In  large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour and confectioner's sugar. Add the butter, and stir until mixture is crumbly. Press the mixture into bottom of prepared  9x13 pan. Bake 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool completely.

Filling
In large bowl, combine remaining 4 tbs.'s flour, eggs, margarita mix, water, sugar, and lemon juice. Whisk together and mix well. Pour over the cooled crust. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until top is set. Cool on a wire rack.

Cream Cheese Icing
1 stick butter
2  cups, (more if needed) powdered sugar
8 oz. cream cheese
1 tbs. lemon juice
1 tbs. lemon zest, minced
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Cream the butter and the cream cheese together for about 3 minutes . Stir in vanilla,  lemon juice, and zest. Add the powdered sugar, gradually until desired consistency is reached. Spread evenly on cooled bars and chill until ready to serve. Out of this world!


****
And here are a few more delights on my dessert table. Click on recipe title to view recipe.















All are a delightful finish to any buffet! Bon appetit! Wishing you all a Happy Super Bowl Sunday! Merci beaucoup for stopping by!

38 comments:

Honey at 2805 said...

I want to be at your house for Super Bowl Sunday!

judi/Gmj said...

yummie! I mean Yummies!! you are with me in spirit, well, I am with you in spirit.

Eddie Bluelights said...

When's the kick off?
On my way with a doggy bag! LOL
I'm Eddie
and I'm ready! LOL

Clouds and Silvery Linings
and Platos’s Procrastinations

Dee said...

I think I just gained 5 lbs just reading this lol! They all look delicious!

Kathryn Magendie said...

OMG! *pant pant* -- I just sent this link to GMR - WANT SOME NOW! -- esp the marguerita bars and the brownies - ohhhhhhhhh!

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

OK, we'll be at your place soon!

ellen abbott said...

oh! YUM.

Deb said...

Those Margarita bars look amazing, I'm going to try them. I didn't make any desserts for Super Bowl but I wish I would have.

California Girl said...

Happy Super Bowl Sunday Marguerite! We just finished 3 hrs with the plumber getting our pipes snaked & our septic looked at. Ugh. I had a big dinner planned but now am headed to the store to p/u ingredients for your yummy chicken enchiladas.

Joanne said...

Marguerite, I can make a meal out of these delicious desserts! Have a grand time :)

Rosaria Williams said...

I can't choose! I'm an equal opportunity taster.

Susanna Powers said...

These look so delicious! have fun today, sp

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Too late to make a run to the store and then prod my wife into attempting these treats tonight! We'll have to try the first one sometime soon though.

Linda Starr said...

Ok, I've heard of lemon bars, but lemon margarita bars, oh my and the rum and icing. youzzza.

Drick said...

oh my, after eating all your mouth watering foods, I'm not sure I would have room for desserts ... well, the bourbon brownie did get my attention, the rest I would just have to bring home...

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Forget the brownie, I'll just have the praline frosting with a spoon please!

Marguerite said...

Honey- Thanks, wish you could've been here, too! Have a great week!

judi- Merci cher! You are right about that! Hope you try the brownies!

Eddie- You are such a hoot! LOL And so canaille, too! Thanks for coming by, cher, and don't forget your doggy bag! LOL

Dee- Thanks, cher, glad to oblige! They are worth the calories and I hope you try them!

Kathryn- Merci, so glad you like them! Tell GMR to get busy in the kitchen! They are heaven on a plate!

Trish- Thanks, wish you could've been here, and I hope you try them! Have a wonderful week!

Angie Ledbetter said...

You outdid yourself with these yummy desserts! I made chicken & dumplings and brownie balls.

If I ever get a cookbook going, you're gonna contribute these (and some others), right? *drool*

kitchen flavours said...

Wow, here you go again! Making my mouth water just looking at your brownies and the lemon bars! They look really, really, good!

Marguerite said...

ellen- Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment! Glad you like them!

Deb- Thanks, the margarita bars are divine and I'm so happy that you want to try them! Enjoy!

Cal. Girl- Thanks so much for trying the enchiladas! Enjoy! Hope that you got your plumbing problems fixed.

rosaria- Guess you'll have to try a little of each, then! Thanks for stopping by, cher!

Joanne- Merci, I know what you mean! I am in a bit of a food coma, today. lol Back to the veggie diet! lol

sussah- Thanks for your nice comment and for stopping by, cher! It was a lot of fun!

Velva said...

Decadent is an understatement-very awesome. Love it.

You always have great recipes.

Velva

T. said...

I'm at a hotel in Maui, but if there was a kitchen I'd be out the door to the grocery store RIGHT NOW to get ingredients for those OMG brownies!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I'm not much of a dessert eater, but I think I would have required a large spoon for those bourbon brownies with praline frostings. My teeth are hurting just thinking about it.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

P.S. I love photo you have as your header. I'd like to sit on that dock.

Kittie Howard said...

I can't resist a dessert with lemon ... those Margarita bars look delicious!

Made a big pot of seafood gumbo...can't wait to spoon the rice. (Didn't scrimp on the seafood, ohhhh!)

Looove your recipes! Thanks, cher! You're terrific!

Magic of Spice said...

Oh wow! I really want to try those bourbon brownies, killer :) But I would probably want a bit of everything :) Fantastic!

Bobbie and Jim said...

In the Bourbon Brownie recipe you say "Spread the batter into prepared baking dish" but you didn't say what size pan. Can I assume it is a 13 x 9?

We are staying at Betty's RV Park in Abbeville for a month to celebrate Mardi Gras. Really glad I came across your blog while looking for information on the daiquiri drive-thrus. Want to make the Bourbon Brownie for Sunday's potluck.

Bobbie
chappytrails.blogspot.com

Betsy Brock said...

Oh my...I want to taste them all! I think I'd start with that bread pudding. mmmmm!

Marguerite said...

Alex- Great to hear from you! Thanks, glad you like the brownies and hope you try them. You'll be glad you did!

Linda- Thanks for the nice compliment, cher! The margarita bars are divine! You'd better make a double batch!

Drick- Now come on, you could manage a few of these bourbon brownies! And like Eddie, you could always take home a doggy bag!

Karen- Thanks, I know what you mean about the praline icing. I really have to control myself, or I would eat the whole pan, with a spoon! To die for, cher!

Angie- So good to hear from you, cher! Thanks so much, glad you lkie them! These recipes will be in my upcoming cookbook, and are under copyright, but I'll be happy to donate a few others that are just as good.

kf- Thanks a lot for the sweet comment and for coming by! So glad you like them and hope you try them! They are all fab!

Mickey said...

Love those Bourbon Brownies, they look incredible. Have to put them on my list :)
mickey

annies home said...

your post is very tempting those brownies look delicious

Sandy's Kitchen said...

Incredible sweet treats! I especially like the praline brownies. They look so wonderful!

Brittany @ Real Sustenance said...

Yummm! They all look so good!
The Lemon Bars are speaking to me especially!

I wanted to invite you to participate in a weekly event I host- titled Seasonal Sundays! The lemon bars fit the theme :)

-Brittany-

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so decadently delicious! Too bad I'm not really eating sugar at the moment or else I would totally make the margarita bars. Yum!

Lisa said...

Mmmm, that icing looks so rich. All of your desserts look fantastic. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. Don't forget to come by and enter my giveaway for a $25 item of your choice from CSN (open to US residents). http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/crunchy-nut-cookies-and-giveaway-you.html

Martha said...

You never cease to amaze me! Thanks for linking up to the Valentine's Party. You totally rock! :-)

Sweet Birdie Blue said...

oh heavens they look sooooooooooooo good!!

Terrie R. said...

Those bourbon brownies with the praline icing look scrumptious! I'm definitely going to try those.