Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fried Green Tomato Poboys + Sweet Potato Fries + Cajun Boogie

The dog days of summer are upon us, here in Cajun country, and what could be better than a big sandwich, made with fresh garden veggies .  This is one of my favorite summer lunches and I also love to eat fried green tomatoes in a big salad, as well.  The inspiration for this delicious treat came from the June issue of Southern Living Magazine. I added a few more of my favorite veggies and my delicious poboy spread, and you could use whatever veggies that you might like or have on hand. This poboy is "out of this world" and pairs well with sweet potato fries, (recipe below), and a glass of homemade lemonade. Bon appetit!

Fried Green Tomato Poboy or Sandwich


First, you'll want to make my:

Creole Poboy Spread
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup creole or Dijon mustard
1 tbs. ketchup
1 tsp. pickle relish
1 tsp. horseradish
Few shakes salt
Few shakes Tabasco

Combine and stir until well blended and chill for 30 minutes. 

Next, assemble the following ingredients.

Romaine lettuce, chopped
1  large Creole Tomato, sliced
1 small red onion, sliced
Creole Poboy Spread
1 French baguette, cut into 3 six inch pieces
Then, fry the tomatoes.

Fried Green Tomatoes

3 green tomatoes, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. or more, Cajun seasoning
2 tbs.'s fresh basil, chopped fine
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow or white cornmeal
Vegetable oil for frying

Mix salt and pepper together and sprinkle both sides of tomatoes. Stir together cornmeal, Cajun seasoning, and
flour in a pie plate. Mix well.

In shallow bowl, beat eggs and whisk in buttermilk. Add the basil and dip tomatoes in buttermilk/egg mixture.. Dredge in cornmeal/flour mixture and repeat until all tomato slices are coated.


In a large heavy skillet, pour oil to a depth of 1 inch. On medium heat, fry tomatoes in batches for 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. 
~~~
Spread each baguette with the Creole poboy spread. Arrange the lettuce on baguettes. Then top with 2 bacon slices, then with onion slices, then with avocado slices, then with the fried green tomatoes.  Makes 3 six inch poboys. Divine! Enjoy!


I'll be sharing these at Tasty Tuesdays, Whimsical WednesdaysGarden Variety Wednesdays , Full Plate Thursday , Foodie FridayPotluck FridayFresh Food Friday, Saturday Nite Special,  Savory Sunday, and It's a Hodgepodge Friday.

******
And here's a healthier version of fries that is so easy to make and so good, too! Fab!

Baked Sweet Potato Fries
 
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into slices
1 tbs. Cajun seasoning
Salt to taste
Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle both sides of the potato slices with salt and Cajun seasoning. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Arrange sweet potato slices on large cookie sheet, so that they are not touching. Bake for 20 minutes, turning, half way through.

******
Cajun Boogie

I've had a request for some more Cajun Boogie and here's a little clip that I took of one of my favorite bands, Wayne Toups and Zydecajun, rockin' the crowd at my favorite Lafayette festival, Festival Acadiens. Crank it up for this one, cher, and let the good times roll! 

Wayne Toups and Zydecajun


I'd like to extend a warm welcome and many thanks to all of my my new followers! I'll be around to visit ya'll soon. Hope everyone is having a fantastic week! Merci beaucoup for stopping by!

35 comments:

Cro Magnon said...

I've never tried fried green tomatoes; I will this year. It's always good to find something new to do with our huge crop. I could become addicted to your site. Bisou, Cro.

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Love fried green tomatoes and I also love fried pickles!! Great post!

Dee said...

Are you kidding me? If I wasn't already married I think I'd ask you to marry me lol. This sandwich looks amazingly yummy!!

Cloudia said...

You are my sister!


BTW, caught Treme on HBO?


Aloha from Waikiki :)

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

Linda Starr said...

Those sweet potato fries look so delicious and photo of tomatoes I love, I keep saying I'll have fried green tomatoes and have yet to try them, perhaps this year will be the year.

The Harried Cook said...

That sounds soo good! Love the recipe for the poboy spread! I am sure that would be delicious in so many things... your sandwiches look amazing... Thanks for sharing :)

Seeker said...

This seems so yummy.... can I take of the bacon???

xoxo

LetmeShare said...

Wow! This looks yummy. I wish I could get it from my screen and taste it. (sad)

Thank you for sharing this.


Please visit us:
femFAQs

Joanne said...

I've never had fried green tomatoes either, though I've been growing tomatoes for over 20 years now!

Pam said...

Poboys,fried green tomatoes, Southern Living magazine, love, love it all!!! I'll have to try the fries, they sound great also! Plus, another great video! The best music and so many people rockin' away. It must be a fantastic festival! Wish I was there!

Anonymous said...

What a great event... I love the music...
I won't even mention the awesome recipes you shared... Can I move in?

A Kitchen Witch said...

I saw that recipe in my mom's magazine and thought, "Now, that's a po-boy!" Looks delish. I should give it a try, I have enough hanging on the vine ; ) Too, I'll be posting a green tomato relish, a recipe from my great grandma, soon!

Susanna Powers said...

I'm suddenly starving to death! You have a real knack, Marguerite! maybe it's in the writing, maybe the photos, but somehow this is the most appetizing place in the internet. I've got to try to replicate the sandwich, with bacon for my husband, and without it for me. thanks, sp

Michelle B said...

Have never had fried green tomatoes on a po'boy, but it sure seems like the right thing to do! For some reason, I'm really hungry right now ;-)

Funny story for you. A friend of mine and her husband have been eating sandwiches night after night b/c it's so darn hot. A few nights ago, they looked at each other and said, "no sandwiches tonight, please!" They rummaged. Found some sausages and started cooking. Next thing you know, they start slicing tomatoes from the garden. Slicing French bread. Building sausage po'boys!

But we all know po'boys transcend sandwich status!

Marguerite said...

Cro- They are fab and I hope you try them! Merci, that's the whole idea! lol Thanks for stopping by!

FG- Hope you give the poboy a try! I've never tried fried pickles, but I bet they're good. Thanks!

Dee lol, You crack me up! They're so easy to make and you should make you one, cher! Thanks, glad you like it!

Cloudia- Merci, gal pal! Not much time for TV, but I'll check it out! Thanks for coming by! Aloha!

Linda- Thanks, they are so good and I hope you try both the fries and the fried green tomatoes. Do it! :)

HC- Thanks, so glad you like them! The spread is fab and I hope you try it and the other two recipes. You're welcome!

Miriam said...

I'm in love with that poboy and I love this site!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Rosaria Williams said...

I'm looking forward to making these sandwiches all summer long.

nanny said...

This makes me want to go out and pick my green tomatoes.......oh I love em!!!

Eddie Bluelights said...

You feed me so well I think I will adopt you as my sister LOL

GYPSYWOMAN said...

OMGosh, girl, is this the wayne toups who was at northeast university in monroe [then NLU] in the mid to late 70's!!??? do you know? i may have gone to school with him - the wayne i knew is from south louisiana - do you have any contact info for him?

so lost in the music now that i can't even comment on those OUTRAGEOUS lookin' FRIED GREEN TOMATO po-boys, lady! dear heavens!

just got to the coast last night - did i mention i'm so tired! and livin' out of and in boxes again! and NO INTERNET except intermittently till "they" get out to hook me all up - where oh where are my peeps!!!

hugs sweet lady! ;)

The How To Mommy said...

Those all look so good!! I'm your newest follower from Whimsical Wednesday. I'd love it if you'd join me for my Tasty Thursday Recipe Swap Blog Hop tomorrow.
Also, if you like me on Facebook I'm having a great giveaway when I get to 400 followers. Thanks!
-The How To Mommy

Amy said...

This Fried Green Tomato Poboy sounds perfect and refreshing, yet satisfying! I've never cook green tomato before and really want to try it after reading your post! Thanks for sharing.

Amy
http://utry.it

Drick said...

saw this in SL and thought about how good shrimp would be added to this... and I love bacon and avocados added to this traditional poboy, great idea

Michelle said...

Thanks for linking with Garden Variety Wednesday! I'm happy to have such delicious treats in the round-up.

Wendy said...

Found you over at Full Plate Thursday...I'm a new follower! This looks great! I would love to have you link up to my 2-in-1 Thursday hop.

Wendy
Around My Family Table

Marguerite said...

Seeker- Thanks, you sure can, and you could add any of your favorite veggies, too! Thanks for stopping by!

LetmeShare- Hi and welcome! Thanks, it's so good, and I'm so glad you like it! You're welcome!

Joanne- You simply "must" try them, especially since you have them in your garden. You'll be so glad you did! :)

Pam- Thanks so much for your lovely comment! Hope you try the poboys and the fries! This festival is the best and is held in mid-October. Make your plane reservations, now!

ffd- Thanks for the sweet comment, and for coming by! So glad you enjoyed it! Sure, we'd have a blast!

KW- It's divine and I hope you will give it a try! That green tomato relish sounds fab and I'll be looking for it, cher!

Erin @ Art+Food+Life said...

This sandwich looks beautiful and delicious! I have had a green tomato once in my life. I think I might need to try this :)

Arlee Bird said...

That Po' Boy looks mighty fine, but I still think I'd prefer an Oyster Po'Boy. But I'm not turning down the Fried Green Tomato Po'Boy by any means.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Miz Helen said...

Hi Marguerite,
I come to your site just at the right time when I need to get out of this chair and move around to some good tunes. It always brings happiness to my soul! That cajun sauce that you have for the Po Boy is awesome. I am going to use it on everything. We just love fried green tomato every thing and those sweet potatoes are the greatest. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, have a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Honey at 2805 said...

Great music and love the baked sweet potatoe fries!

Magic of Spice said...

Now I am craving sweet potato fries...delicious and like them baked :) As for the Poboy, wow! My grandfather used to make me fried green tomatoes as a child and I loved them. I need to try them out :) Gorgeous sandwich and fun boogie :)

Unknown said...

YUM! I've never had Fried Green Tomatoes, but I hear a rumor I'll get to try next week! This tasty treat looks wonderful - thanks fro bringing to Friday Potluck!

KB and Whitesnake said...

Looks delish!
We'd love for you to share this recipe with us at
Simply Delish Saturday

The Sweet Details said...

oh yum!! This looks great! Thanks for linking this up to savory sunday!!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

I've got green tomatoes coming out of every spot available on each vine! Was just thinking of frying some up and your recipe looks so interesting. Believe it or not, I pour a super tomato sauce over them that makes them outstanding. Recipe's on blog. Now I'm off to read your fave spots in New Orleans since we're visiting in December!