Friday, July 1, 2011

Cajun Fourth of July Faves

With the Fourth of July holiday just a few days away, I am looking over my list of "must haves" for what might just be THE party of the summer, at my house. Since the weather forecast is calling for a "hot and sunny" day, the pool seems to be the perfect setting for this year's bash! There will be a whole lotta grillin' going on and most guests will be bringing either a side or dessert to share. Here are a few of the delights that I'll  be preparing, and I'm sure that I'll be adding more before it's all over with. Cest bon, cher! Enjoy! Happy 4th!

Cajun Andouille-Pepper Kabobs

1 pkg. Andouille sausage, (or other smoked sausage), sliced
1 each, green, red, and yellow bell pepper, seeded, cut in halves, then quartered
1 onion, cut in half, then quartered
1 tbs. Cajun seasoning
Skewers

Place a pepper of each color on a skewer and alternate with sausage and onions. Repeat. Cook directly on grill on medium heat for about 10 to 15 minutes, on each side. Yum!

******
Cajun Crawfish-Stuffed French Bread

1/4 cup butter
1 cup,"holy trinity", diced
1 tsp. crushed garlic
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. paprika
4 tbs.'s white wine
2 tbs.'s seafood stock or clam juice
Salt to taste

8 oz.'s cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1 lb. peeled crawfish tails
1/4 cup each fresh parsley and green onions, chopped

1 large loaf French bread

Melt butter in medium saucepan on medium high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, and celery and saute' for 5 minutes. Add cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika, and garlic and stir well. Stir in white wine and seafood stock, and reduce heat to low. Add crawfish tails and salt and mix well and cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Gradually add cream cheese until melted, stirring often and cook for 5 minutes. Add green onions and parsley and a little more white wine if mixture is too thick. Cut bread in half and scoop out center portion of French bread loaf. Fill bottom portion with crawfish mixture. Place top half on top, brush with melted butter and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Can also be made with shrimp. Sinfully delicious!

******
Cajun BBQ Chicken w/ Bourbon BBQ Sauce

Chicken breasts, thighs, legs,
or 1 whole cut-up chicken 
Cajun rub, (recipe below)
Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce

Rub spice mixture into chicken, then shake on Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce on both sides and cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat grill and grill  on medium heat,  for about 30 to 40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes. Baste often with BBQ sauce. Scrumptious!
 

Bourbon BBQ Sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup bourbon
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cane syrup
2 tbs.'s Creole or Dijon mustard
1 tbs. Liquid Smoke
1 tbs. or more, chipotle sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbs.'s onion, minced
Salt and Tabasco to taste

Combine bourbon and sugar in saucepan and heat and stir on medium heat, until sugar melts.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a little water, if needed. Use as a basting sauce and make extra for dipping. Finger lickin' good!

Cajun Rub
2 tsb.'s salt
1 tbs. cayenne pepper 
1 tbs. black pepper
2 tbs.'s smoky paprika
2 tbs.'s garlic powder
2 tbs.'s onion powder

1 tbs. dried parsley
1 tbs. dried thyme


Combine all in food processor and pulse until well blended. Store any remaining rub in an airtight container.
******
 Spicy Cajun Margarita Shrimp

2 lbs.  large shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails left on
1/4 cup tequila
2 tbs.'s olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Place all ingredients, except shrimp, in a large zip lock bag. Shake to combine. Add shrimp and shake again. Refrigerate and allow to marinate for 1 hour. Drain marinade and place the shrimp in a large grill skillet and cook on a medium hot grill for 3 minutes on each side. Fab!
******
Creole Potato Salad

5 lbs. red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped fine
2 celery stalks, diced
1/4 cup green onions, sliced thin
1 large dill pickle, chopped fine
2 tbs.'s apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
3/4 cup,  more or less, light mayonnaise
1/4 cup Creole mustard
2 tbs.'s yellow mustard
1 tbs. Creole or Cajun seasoning
Salt to taste

Place the potatoes and the eggs in a large pot of water with 1 teaspoon of salt. Water line should be 2 inches above potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly. Meanwhile mix the sugar, vinegar, mayonnaise, and mustard in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and mix gently, while they are still warm. Add the chopped eggs, dill pickle, onions, celery, Creole seasoning, and salt, and mix gently until well combined. Chill for at least one hour before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley and a sprinkling of more Creole seasoning. Divine!
******
Bourbon Brownies w/Praline Icing

1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbs.'s water
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1 tsp.vanilla extract
1 (1/4) cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 to 3  tbs.'s bourbon


In large saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, and water. Cook, over medium heat, until just boiling. Add chocolate chips, and stir until melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Stir in the eggs, bourbon, and vanilla, and beat lightly. Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt and pecans and mix well. Spread the batter into prepared 8x8 baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes and cool in the pan. Top with Praline Icing, (recipe below), if desired. Totally decadent!

Praline Icing
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp. almond extract
3/4 cup chopped pecans

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, bring the first 3 ingredients to a boil. Boil for one minute, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar and almond extract until smooth. Add pecans and continue to stir for about 3 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken. Pour onto cooled brownies. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
 
******
Sangria LeBlanc

1/8 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 bottle dry white wine
1/2 cup orange liqueur
1 1/2 cups lemon-lime soda
1 lemon, sliced
1 lime, sliced
1 orange, cut in wedges
Fresh strawberries, cut in half
Mint leaves for garnish

In saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. In large pitcher, combine sugar mixture, wine,  and liqueur and chill for several hours. Just before serving, add soda and fruit, and garnish with mint leaves. Serve over ice. Out of this world! Cheers!

For more of my Cajun cookout recipes, click here.

I'll be sharing these at Amaze Me Monday, What's Cooking WednesdayJam HandsIt's a Hodge Podge Friday Fresh Food FridaySweets For A Saturday , Show and Tell SaturdaySaturday Nite Special, Sunday Showcase Party and Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

Wishing all of you a  fabulous, fun-filled weekend and a very Happy Fourth of July!
Merci beaucoup for stopping by!


46 comments:

Joanne said...

Whoa, I did a double-take at those brownies, they look awesome!

Can you believe it's the 4th of July already? It can't be possible, it was just Easter, seriously! Have a rockin' time this weekend ...

Kat said...

Marguerite, You have a fabulous Forth of July! Everything looks scrumpcious! I know your pool-side party will be a great time!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Always so impressed with your body of work... Now, pass me a kabob!

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Soooo, I'll be over around 5, ok?
What an awesome menu!!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

It all looks great! Now if only I could invite myself over to your party this weekend! My fav is the crawfish bread- I make it all the time and it is hands down a no fail recipe that everyone loves

Ali said...

Oh man Marguerite...they all sound great, but that crawfish stuffed french bread. I'M DYIN! That sound so good. I want to live in Cajun country and eat this yummy food :(

Joey said...

I agree with Ali. I want to move.

My, you can cook! The brownies.. the drinks, everything has made me so hungry!

Joey

hidden art of homemaking said...

yum yum..this looks so good..your food makes me hungry...thanks for visiting and I hope your Fourth is fun filled...

Eddie Bluelights said...

What a fabulous 4th July celebration - almost worth losing the war (a Brit speaking LOL).

Can I come? . . . . Pleeeeease?
If I tried to make it, it would all resemble charcoal BBQ nuts LOL.
V=Cajun Andouille-Pepper Kabobs and Spicy Cajun Margarita Shrimp look particularly appetising but knowing me I would have a good go at it all LOL.

Bet all your guests enjoy all your treats and your wonderful hospitality. Yopu really must be the hostess with the mostest!! Now look what your made me do!! Feel hungry again LOL. BFN ~ Eddie

Linda Starr said...

I love a good kabob and I have the bamboo squewers, scuewers, oh what th eheck I can't remember how to spell that but you know what I mean, happy fourth to you.

California Girl said...

You're killing me Marguerite. I see calories swirling about my head, no, my derriere.

Honey at 2805 said...

My taste buds are going crazy right now. It all looks scrumptious! And the brownies are giveing me a chocolate attack. Excuse me while I go find some!

Rosaria Williams said...

Now, this is a party!

Gypsy Heart said...

I'm leaving here in about an hour so should be there late tomorrow. I'm coming to help out before I pig out at the party. :-)

Seriously, this is some awesome food lady! Just looks and sounds divine. I hope you have a blast ~ too hot around here for much cooking.

xo
Pat

Gypsy Heart said...

I'm leaving here in about an hour so should be there late tomorrow. I'm coming to help out before I pig out at the party. :-)

Seriously, this is some awesome food lady! Just looks and sounds divine. I hope you have a blast ~ too hot around here for much cooking.

xo
Pat

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I also did a double take with the praline brownies. And, this might sounds stupid, but I never thought of using sausage on kababs. I'll use that shrimp recipe this weekend. Have a hankering for shrimp.

Pat Tillett said...

I've decided that you need to have your own TV show! The sausage (and everything else) looks so darn good! Here's to a great weekend! Have a good fourth also...

kitchen flavours said...

Everything looks super delicious! Would really love to join you at THE party of the summer, I would not mind bringing any desserts, when I get to eat all your yummy food! Have fun, Marguerite! :)

The Harried Cook said...

Awesome round-up, Marguerite! Wish I could eat some of that this weekend... Have a fabulous 4th of July weekend :)

Rita said...

I live in northern Ontario Canada,but love anything cajun; it seems to be in my soul. Tes recettes sont superbes.
Rita

Jessica | Cajunlicious said...

Marguerite I want that crawfish stuffed french bread right now for breakfast!!!

Have a great weekend, cher!

Hi, I'm Suz!! said...

Laisse les bon temps roulet!!

I came because of the brownie recipe.... I stayed because of the..... well I can't just pick one!! I want them all!! What time's the party??

Ok, so I'm thinking we'll do the Spicy Cajun Margarita Shrimp tonight!! mmmm They look Heavenly!! Then.... thinking we must try the Adouille Pepper Kabobs this weekend, too!!

I am your newest follower!!


YUM!!!

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you for sharing these goodies!!

Hugs ~~ Suz

inspiringcreativeness.blogspot

Priscilla - She's Cookin' said...

Found you through my friend, Alisha at The Ardent Epicure. Love Cajun food and put Cajun seasoning on about everything - your 4th of July fare is killin' me! Curious - what Cajun spice blend do you prefer or do you make your own?

Marguerite said...

Joanne- Thanks, they are awesome and I hope you try them. Hope you have a great weekend, too!

Kat- Thanks, cher, it should be a blast! Happy 4th to you and yours, too! Cheers!

Dave- Merci for the sweet compliment, cher! I feel the same way about yours! Have a Happy 4th!

FG- Here in the South, we start early, and the party is starting at NOON! Thanks, have a great weekend!

KB- Thanks and of course, you're invited! Then you know how good it is! Have a wonderful weekend!

Ali- Thanks, cher! This crawfish bread is "to die for" and I hope you try it. You SHOULD move here! Happy 4th!

Kaitlin Saenz said...

I love this post! I'm hungry now!!

I'm visiting over from funkyjunkinteriors. I'm hosting my first ever blog party and its all 4th of July-all Red, White, and Blue! I'd love for you to link up and share with me!

http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/2011/07/4th-of-july-link-party.html

Hope to see you over at my place soon!
Kaitlin
notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com

Honey at 2805 said...

Stop by when you can to "pick up" your award!

Holly said...

Yum... these recipes are great! Her for the hop. I lohttp://rannthisthat.blogspot.com/e your blog. Bourbon brownies~ yikes!

Marguerite said...

Joey- You should move here, too! Thanks, I'm so glad you like them! Enjoy and have a Happy 4th!

Mona- Thanks so much for the nice compliment! You're welcome and I hope that yours is fun, too!

Eddie- lol, You are such a hoot! Merci beaucoup for your sweet comment, cher! Making people hungry is my specialty! lol Cheers!

Linda- These kabobs are fab and so easy! You should definitely make them! Hope you have a Happy 4th, too!

Cal. Girl- Thanks, that's the whole idea! Just have a glass or two of the Sangria and you'll forget all about the calories! lol Happy 4th!

Honey- Thanks, cher, so glad you like them! The brownies are sinfully good and I hope you try them! Have a great 4th!

WhyWeLoveGreen said...

The stuffed bread looks amazing! I'm your newest follower, visiting from the Sunday Blog Hop. I'd love it if you'd follow me too at "Why We Love Green" at http://whywelovegreen.blogspot.com

Shammickite said...

I'm going to try that kabob recipe with the sausage and peppers, looks marvellous!
Happy 4th of July to you and your family! Enjoy the fireworks. And all that fabulous food.

Kim McCallie said...

Well, I'm torn between the praline brownies and the crawfish-stuffed French bread. My goodness...they both look divine. I think I'll have one for dinner and the other for dessert. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

AMY said...

Wow......that grilled food looks so DELICIOUS!!! I want to come to your 4th of July Party!
I'm following you back. I LOVE all your food blog posts.....I'll be back to copy down recipes! Thanks

MommyDigger.com said...

This all looks so good!

I'm your newest follower from the Super Stalker Sunday Hop! I would love for you to visit my blog www.mommydigger.com and follow me :)

Hi, I'm Suz!! said...

Ok marguerette - I made the spicy Cajun margarita shrimp for supper. The recipe is a breeze to prepare and THEY. ARE. DELICIOUS!!!

Thank you for the wonderful recipe!!

Hugs ~~ Suz

Anonymous said...

Those brownies look awesome. Great blog and recipes. Might stop here once in awhile. Thanks for all these recipes.
Visiting from Kourtney's SSSunday blog hop.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Barbara
Español para Niños (Spanish for Kids)

Unknown said...

It all looks delicious. I wish we would have had a big cookout last night.

I'm a new gfc follower. Found you on Super Stalker Sunday.
Happy 4th!
I also have a blog hop on my page if you're interested in linking up!
Danielle
www.adeliciousobsession.com

Drick said...

I want it all as I could not stop with just any one of these - hope you had a fabulous 4th, I know you did....

Trisha said...

Everything looks so great ... I'm going to try those brownies out soon, it looks great, not seen this variety before. I've been admiring your blog for a while. There are so many wonderful recipes that I want to try. Thanks for sharing!

Miriam said...

I hope you had a geat 4th! And that potato salad looks to die for! :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Magic of Spice said...

Oh Marguerite, this is my idea of a summer bash...everything looks amazing!
I hope you had a fantastic 4th of July celebration...and are having a wonderful start to your week :)

Michelle B said...

I think I'm going to pack up and move next door!

Anonymous said...

YUM! I found your site through Super Stalker Sunday and was going to copy down the brownie recipe... then I saw the shrimp tacos... and then my stomach started growling! Awesome recipes! Can't wait to give them to my hubby so he can cook them and I can eat them :)

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Those brownies look fantastic! They are definitely calling my name :)

Jen@Mom's Online Garage Sale said...

That crawfish bread looks mouth-watering!

We just made our first batch of Creole, it was darn good.

Thank you for joining us on I ♥ Blogging Hop, I am your newest GFC follower.

Have a great week!

Unknown said...

OMG you are really making me miss fresh seafood right now. Really bad. All i can find are frozen stuff!

Ali said...

Thank you so much for submitting these to my monthly recipe collection for July - Cookout Food.

The new theme for August will be posted tomorrow, and I hope you will submit again. :)