Saturday, July 23, 2011

Grilled Veggie Poboys w/ Cajun Fries + French Rockin' Boogie

After a friend stopped by and gave me two big bags of summer produce from her garden, I decided to grill up a bunch of veggies and serve them on nine grain French bread. After washing, slicing, and chopping, I marinated them in this fabulous Cajun marinade and grilled them to perfection and served them with some yummy, baked Cajun fries. When I tell you that they were out of this world, then you know that I mean it,  cher! Cest bon!  Enjoy!

Grilled Veggie Poboys

1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise, and cut in half
1 yellow squash, sliced lengthwise, and cut in half
1 small eggplant, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
1 red bell pepper, quartered, and cut in half
1 green pepper, quartered, and cut in half
2 Creole tomatoes, sliced thick
Slices of Provolone cheese, if desired
3  tbs.'s melted butter
1 (18 inch loaf) French bread


Marinade
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbs.'s red wine vinegar
1 tbs. minced garlic
1 tbs. Creole mustard
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
Few shakes Tabasco

First make the marinade. Combine all ingredients in small bowl, mix well and set aside. Wash, chop, and slice the veggies and place in large ziploc bag. Add marinade and shake to coat and place in fridge for 1 hour. Drain and transfer to a grill basket and grill on medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes on each side. Brush poboy bread  with melted butter and grill (inside down) on indirect heat for 5 minutes. Layer veggies on bread and top with cheese. Divine!

 Baked Cajun Fries

4 large white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 tbs.'s olive oil
1 tbs. Cajun seasoning
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried parsley
Salt to taste

In large bowl, toss the potatoes in the olive oil to coat. Combine the spices and toss with the potatoes until evenly covered. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and arrange potatoes in a single layer. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Fab!

French Rockin' Boogie

I've had a special request from one of my dear bloggie buds for some more French Rockin' Boogie. They are one of Cajun country's favorite dance bands, and here they are,  reving up the crowd at this year's Strawberry Park Cajun Zydeco Festival. Crank it up for this one, cher, and let the good times roll!



Wishing ya'll a fun and fabulous summer weekend! Merci beaucoup for coming by!

31 comments:

Eddie Bluelights said...

See I'm first today . . . "why?", you might ask. 'Cause I'm blooming hungry and this is a feast to my eyes. I actually saw Cajun Seasoning in our hybermarket. What I need now is for some friendly neighbour to give me two bags of summer produce from their garden. Must offer to cut their hedge perhaps - you never know. The Cajun fries look scrumptuous. Have a great weekend. I've been in the garden looking after my begonias and building decorative walls. Have a great weekend cher, Eddie

RNSANE said...

Creole tomatoes - what I wouldn't give to have a dozen of those.

What a wonderful two weeks I've had. My best friend of my life
( for almost 50 years now - we met when we both started nursing school at Charity in New Orleans - she was born in Rayne, grew up in
Lafayette ) has been here visiting me from New Orleans. We ate out every day - most all kinds of Asian food and California seafood -
large Dungeness crab, abalone, calamari, etc ) and reminisced about "the good old days"! Creole tomatoes even came up in the conversation!

Kat said...

What a great idea for the abundant summer veggies! I just might try it! Keep on makin' me move with that awesome cajun sound!

Good Girl Gone Green said...

*mouth watering* NOW that is a sandwich. I made something very smiler a few weeks ago. I am vegan so I am always looking for great recipes. Thanks for shairng!

Honey at 2805 said...

That PoBoy, anlong with the fries look delish! Your friends and family must be crazy about you and your fabulous food!

Unknown said...

Ohhh, that looks so gooood!

Following your lovely blog. I am also inviting you to visit Momma's Lounge where you can add your blog (http://olahmomma.com/momlounge/node/add/blog-list), express yourself, and meet more mom bloggers.

Thanks and have a great day!

Pat Tillett said...

Hi there!
Although, I'd probably have a chunk of meat in that sandwich, I have to admit, it looks REALLY good!
Hope you are doing well!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

that veggie sandwich looks delicious. I made one sorta like that myself a few weeks ago and I have been craving it again and again. It is amazing how much flavor and how filling veggies can be when prepared right! awesome

Drick said...

oh boy, summertime is fresh vegetable time for me and I love 'em grilled too... those are some pretty darn looking fries ya got too, just the way I like...

Velva said...

So very delicious. I love friends who provide fresh food from their gardens. :-)

I hope you are staying cool in this sweltering heat.

Velva

Quiltingranny said...

I am a brand new follower and came via a blog hop from House on the Corner. I worked in New Orleans back in 1990's and love the people, the food, the music and still listen to Zydeco. Thank you for sharing and will visit often!

Linda Starr said...

Looks delicious, I am sure I couldn't get my mouth around that sandwich it is so huge.

Marguerite said...

Eddie- Thanks, it pays to be blooming hungry! lol Great that you found some Cajun seasoning, now just put it on everything! lol Have fun with your begonias! lol

RNSANE- Creole tomatoes are the best! Loved your post about your visit with Meaux. Ya'll were really on a tear! :) Thanks for stopping by!

Kat- Thanks, the marinade is what makes these so good and I hope you try them. Glad you enjoyed the music, too!

GGGG- Hi and welcome! So glad you like the recipes and hope you give them a try. You're welcome and thanks for stopping by!

Honey- Thanks so much for your sweet comment, cher! Well, they are crazy about the food, anyway! :)

Olah Momma- Hi and welcome to Cajun country! Thanks so much for your lovely comment and for following. I will be over soon!

Anonymous said...

OMG does that sound delicious! I am in... were do I sign up? Thanks as always for the music! I hope you are having a fantastic weekend!
Take care,
Lisa

Kristen@CountryFitFamily said...

Looks great! I wish I could cook. :(

I'm a new follower from the Super Stalker Sunday.

Please check out my blog at http://babygiveawaysgalore.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

Edjumpoff said...

Saw the word Cajun at Say Hi Sunday and had to have a look. I'm a native of Chicago and moved to LA in 2010. I am loving all the new foods here and now I'm going to have to try those cajun fries.

Anonymous said...

LOVE your blog! YUM!

New follower from the blog hop. Hope you'll check out my travel blog at www.kindertravels.net and return the follow :)

Keep in touch!

Michelle B said...

A little Geno and one of these great summer po'boys...would I be a happy girl!

Nancy said...

Where is your cookbook Marguerite? All of these wonderful home style recipes would make a wonderful book for my shelf!

Rita said...

Love anything poboy Marguerite and this one sounds healthy. Merci grat post.
Rita

Hug a tree with me said...

I love cajun fries yum.....I'm your newest follower from the hop:) check me out at http://hugatreewithme2.blogspot.com whenever you can

Sunithi Selvaraj, RD said...

Whoa! Love the cajun fries and the sandwich. Will give the fries a try this weekend. Lovely recipes ... will come back and ckeck out the previous posts later !! Following on GFC :)Thanks for the follow !

Unknown said...

Yum...I can't wait to make those fries. We LOVE fries at our house. Your blog is making me sooooo hungry.

Thanks for visiting Imitation by Design. I am delighted to be following you back!

Unknown said...

These look soooo amazing!! Thank you for sharing on Fit and Fabulous Fridays! YUM~

Magic of Spice said...

That is some friend...just look at all the wonderful veggies you have here. This is my type of meal for sure, and you know I love grilled veggies :)
Hope you have a wonderful week and are staying cool!

Laura said...

More great recipes!
Marguerite, you are so talented.
Yum!

Laura

Marguerite said...

Pat- So good to hear from you! I don't know about meat, but maybe seafood. :) Thanks for stopping by!

KB- Thanks, you are so right about that! And these grilled veggies are great by themselves, as a side dish, too.

Drick- Merci beaucoup, cher, so glad you like them. They are fab and are both so easy to make.

Velva- Thanks, so do I, since I don't have a garden. We actually have been cooler than usual, with daily, afternoon showers. So glad you stopped by!

Quiltinggranny- Hi and welcome! If you love Cajun, then you're in the right place! :) You're welcome and thanks for stopping by and for following!

Linda- Thanks, it did look kinda big, so I made it smaller, just for you, cher! lol

nanny said...

Oh That Poboy!!!! My daughters would love this one.....we do love our veggies! Can't wait to show them this recipe!

Jessica | Cajunlicious said...

What a prefect summer po boy!!! Thanks for sharing this one! YUM

Miriam said...

Great sandwich and fries!! If you don't mind, I'll put a link to it on my blog sometime. Have a great day! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Camille said...

So yummy!! You always have such delicious foods! :) The colors of the veggies seriously look amazing! Thank you so much for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We are so grateful for your support and we hope that you will be back tomorrow to share more great ideas!
Camille @
SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com