Thursday, May 5, 2011

Spicy Crawfish Enchiladas + Crawfish Festival Preview

Here's a Cajun fave that is just perfect for your Cinco de Mayo celebration or anytime that you're in the mood for a sinfully delicious dish. Layers of scrumptious crawfish and cheese, with plenty of heat and topped with green onions. Well, it just doesn't get any better than that, cher! Enjoy!

Spicy Crawfish Enchiladas

3 tbsp.'s butter
1  onion, chopped
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 lb. peeled crawfish tails or shrimp

1 tsp. or more, Cajun seasoning
1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 can hot enchilada sauce, divided
1 (4 oz.) can green chilies, drained
1 tsp. or more, Cajun seasoning
1 10-count package flour tortillas

1 (1/2) cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
In large skillet, saute the onion, bell pepper, seasoning, and crawfish tails, on medium heat, for about 15 minutes.

Pour in mushroom soup, half of the enchilada sauce, and green chilies. Stir and mix well. Add salt to taste. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.

Place tortilla in a shallow dish and spread 1/2 cup of the mixture on top, sprinkle with cheddar cheese, roll, and place in a greased, 13x9 baking pan, with seams down. Repeat.

When complete, pour other half of enchilada sauce, evenly on top and sprinkle top with remaining cheddar cheese,   green onions, and cilantro. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until bubbly and cheese melts. Cest bon, cher! Bon Appetit! 

Note: Shrimp may be substituted for crawfish. 

******

Time for the Crawfish Festival!


The 51st annual Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival will kick off on Friday, May 6, at 5:00 pm and run through Sunday, May 8. Yes, another  great festival!  What started out as a small, hometown festival  in the sixties, has grown into one of  Louisiana's largest festivals and is one of my faves. There will be crawfish prepared every which way, and a stellar musical line-up, with 3 music stages and 3 straight days of live Cajun and Zydeco music. For a complete schedule, click here. See ya'll there!



And here's a little clip that I took at last year's festival of the high-spirited crowd, dancing a two-step to the spicy sounds of Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys. Let the good times roll! 


Wishing you all a fab weekend, filled with fun! Have all the fun you can, cher! Merci beaucoup for stopping by!

Time for Jazz Fest

And for those of you who are wondering if you should make the second weekend of Jazz fest in New Orleans or for those of you who would like to listen to a live broadcast of this fabulous festival, click here,  to see a complete schedule.

24 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Viva Cinquo! And viva Cajun Delights! Fantastic adaptation, Marguerite!

GYPSYWOMAN said...

si - viva cinquo! viva louisiana!!! ;)

thanks so much for the always fantastic jivin' music over here - my neighbors love it too!!! ;)

Momo said...

happy cinco di mayo!:)cheeers!

Donna said...

I LOVEEEEE your cajun cinco twist! So great Marguerite! Thanks for sharing:)

Joanne said...

Isn't it amazing how the small hometown festivals grow into big events over the years? We had an apple harvest festival that once started out as pretty much a few tents, a few rides, and apple pies every October. It has since grown to a premier event, taking over the town for a weekend every fall.

Looks like the Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival is THE place to be this weekend!

Eddie Bluelights said...

Now this will surprise you, cher. You know - I have never eaten Crawfish so I cannot imagine what it tastes like. I am sure it is absolutely fabulous, particularly your recipe. I salute you my lady for not only staying the course for the 5 day festival, but writing it all up on your posts and sharing it with us. I think I shall call you Wonder Woman LOL. Until the next time at hyou blog or mine ~ your pal from across the pond, Eddie

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

I need to start looking for a house in Cajun country!! These look amazing!!!

Drick said...

like how the Tabasco gets in the drink - the enchiladas are just awesome, hope you have a fab weekend, Happy Mom day

Anonymous said...

I love reading your stories... thanks for the recipes, Its for sure, I am excited about trying it especially with the shrimp... sadly it is difficult to find crawfish where I live... So I have never tried them... ONE day.
Have a great weekend!
Happy Mother's Day everyone.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Green tabasco in the Margaretta!!! Genius. Must try this

Dave

nanny said...

I must try green tabasco in my next margaretta (let's see....5 hours and counting/ha)
The enchiladas love wonderful. If only I had someone to provide the crawfish tails...I would eat them as I peeled them!
Ok your tartar sauce was such a hit with my family last weekend. We had a small amount of catfish leftover for sandwich the next day and the number one question was "do we have anymore tartar sauce" Now I know to double that recipe!

Marguerite said...

Rosaria- Gracias, cher! So glad you like it! Have a great weekend!

Gypsy- Thanks dear lady, so glad you dropped by! You're very welcome, cher! So glad ya'll enjoy it!

Alison- So nice to hear from you! Thanks, it was very happy and I hope that yours was, too! Cheers!

Donna- Thanks so much for your nice comment! You're welcome and I hope you try them! They are fab!

Joanne- It is amazing and your Apple Harvest Festival sounds wonderful! Yes, we are splitting up the weekend between the Crawfish Festival and Jazz Fest in New Orleans! Wish you were here!

Eddie- You would love crawfish! One bite of my Crawfish Enchiladas would send you through the roof! lol Merci, cher, but it's just part of being a Cajun! You're welcome, so happy to share it with you, too!

Cloudia said...

merci, mon ami!





Jolly Aloha from Waikiki


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

GYPSYWOMAN said...

hey lady - don't mind me - i just dropped by for a little DO-C-DO!!! ;)

have a fab weekend, sweetie!

Pooch Purple Reign said...

looks fabulous !!
~laura xx

Pat Tillett said...

Crawfish Enchiladas? I've never even heard of them and I've had a lot of enchiladas in my time! I'll tell you what though, I'm gonna be eating some soon!
Happy Mother's Day Marguerite!

Susanna Powers said...

Happy Mother's Day Marguerite! These dishes look delicious as always, and I hope you have a fun day. Relax and enjoy, sp

Catherine Criswell Spear said...

Fabulous! Love New Orleans!

Cloudia said...

Je vous souhaite tout le meilleur, mon ami-soeur





Saturday evening Aloha from Waikiki


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

Miz Helen said...

Hi Marguerite,
What a perfect blend of culture with your Crawfish Enchilada, it looks delicious. Now you know that I can't come to eat the "craw" without stopping to have a little dancing with you, I just love the music! My Granddaughter recently won the Crawfish eating contest, that girl can eat some craw. Hope you are having a great Mothers Day! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

Marguerite said...

Foodness Gracious- You really should and I know a good Realtor, if you're serious! :) Thanks, so glad you like them and hope you try them!

Drick- More like how Tabasco gets into everything! lol Merci, cher, hope you give them a try! Thanks, I did!

ffd- Thanks so much for your sweet comment! They are just as good with shrimp and I'm so glad you want to try them! Enjoy!

Dave- Thanks, cher, it does give them a little kick! Cheers and merci for stopping by!

nanny- Thanks, hope you liked them! You know that you can always order crawfish online,at cajungrocer.com So glad that ya'll enjoyed it!

Tina- Hi and welcome! Thanks so much for the invitation and for stopping by! Sounds like a great party!

Magic of Spice said...

I am loving these enchiladas...my oldest son makes a great enchilada sauce, and way spicy so I love the idea of the creamy soup to balance :)
And of course a margarita any time :)

Martha said...

I knew my favorite party girl would come through with a perfect post no matter where I post or host the party! Cajun crawfish enchiladas, margaritas, and a festival! Any homes for sale in your neighborhood? I definitely want to be your neighbor :-)

Quiltingranny said...

Hello my Cajum friend! I cannot seem to log into any of your most recent posts. Was looking so forward to the Etoufee recipe. Did you shut your blog down? I must try the Enchiladas...yummy!