Friday, May 22, 2009

A Cajun Style Lobster + Bayou Two-Step


After a rainy day, here in Cajun Country, we pretty much figured that the T.G.I.F. downtown block party was a wash out. It was confirmed on the afternoon news, so I hastily made plans to meet some friends for dinner and dancing, at, Randol's Restaurant and Dancehall. It is not uncommon, to find these two, (restaurant and dancehall), co-existing under the same roof.It's the "Cajun way" to listen to good music, while eating, and to dance to good music, before or after eating, or both.

Tonight's special was Steamed Maine Lobster w/ grilled shrimp and steamed garden veggies. Oh, I could not resist ordering this highly recommended item on today's fabulous menu. Remember that this is the deep South and not every place knows how to prepare this delicacy. Having lived on the Eastern Shore of Maryland , where steaming lobster and crab is a culinary art form, I know what a really good steamed lobster is supposed to taste like.


Well, when I tell you that this was one of the best lobsters that I have ever eaten, then you know that I mean it! Spicy and succulent and the butter garlic sauce was out of this world! Absolutely divinely delicious! Ca' cest bon', cher.


 The Jambalaya Cajun Band was cooking up a two-step with one of their melodic, traditional Cajun tunes, and the spirited crowd was dancing before, during, and after dinner. T.G.I.F! Looking forward to a fun weekend, with many Cajun adventures planned. Hope that yours is fun, too! Happy Memorial Day! Let the Good Times Roll, cher!

Jambalaya Cajun Band



You know you're a Cajun if......
You refer to the four seasons as onions, celery, peppers, and garlic.

5 comments:

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Marguerite, Have a fabulous weekend!!! It certainly looks like you are off to a wonderful start!!!! But, I must confess--I have issues with lobster...The first time I was introduced to it was at a late afternoon/evening dinner party...My friends were going to serve the very best. But being a critter lover, I was horrified to find our "dinner" scampering all around the kitchen. Then, I was served and had to dissect my "dinner"...there were eggs in that mama lobster; I understand that's a great delicacy. But alas, I am too sympathetic a soul. I felt physically ill just thinking about it. Needless to say, to this day, I cannot face eating lobster despite the fact that it is so very delicious...LOL!!!! I ADORE your cajun music!!!! Aren't you talented...filming and posting that?? You are one fantastic lady! You show us ALL how to really LIVE! Have a wonderful weekend! ~Janine XO

Marguerite said...

Merci, Pre'tendue! I'm beginning to become known around town as "the camera lady".

Know what you mean about "dissecting my dinner'. My dear mother always peeled any seafood, for me, before serving it to me, for this very reason. Now, my friends peel for me!

Jo said...

I think lobster is my all-around favorite food -- ever. But as Janine says, I prefer it not to be walking around, chatting with folks beforehand. :-) My son-in-law is a chef, and he often buys live lobster and crab, and I have to leave the house while he prepares it. When I was growing up on Vancouver Island, we used to go fishing for trout and salmon, but I refused to "clean" it, and I definitely need the head removed. I don't want to eat anything that is looking back at me while I eat it.

That looks like a fun place!

Marguerite said...

Thanks so much for visiting, Jo.
Looks like we all feel the same way about crustaceans. lol

With over 300 restaurants and countless live music venues, Lafayette is a really fun place to live and to visit.

Nancy said...

Now I'm really hungry for lobster - nice and spicy - the Cajun way!

I have to agree with the others when it comes to cooking and cleaning. I like the tail nice and clean on my plate.

The first time I ate whole lobster was in Hawaii when I worked for a Club Med - way back in the day. It was a celebration for all of the GO's and I was shocked to see lobster served in it's entirety. I guess living in the desert, we're a little out of it.