Thursday, May 28, 2009

Creole Shrimp Stuffed Avocados + A Cajun Waltz

With the warmer temperatures that we've been having, here in Cajun Country, a lighter fare is especially pleasing. Here is one of my favorite summer recipes that is just perfect for a poolside lunch or just whenever you're in the mood for something light. This divine shrimp salad nestled into an avocado half also fits nicely on a lunch buffet table and will really impress your guests. Garnish with spanish olives and a lemon wedge. Ca' cest bon, cher! Fab!
 


Note: I've had several inquiries about where to buy the Creole seasoning and liquid shrimp and crab boil, so I'm including a link at the bottom of the post.

Creole Shrimp Stuffed Avocados

3 lbs. fresh medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 tbs.'s liquid shrimp and crab boil
or  4 to 6 tbs.'s Cajun seasoning
Juice of one lemon 

3 bay leaves

Fill a large pot with water, and add the liquid shrimp and crab boil, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and chill for one hour.


6 ripe avocados,  peeled and cut in half
1/2 cup red onions, chopped
1/2 cup green onions and tops, chopped

Dressing

1  cup light mayonnaise
1/2 cup chili sauce
1 tbs. Creole or Dijon mustard
1 tsp. yellow mustard
1 tsp. crushed garlic
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs. lemon juice
1 tbs. Tony's Creole or Cajun seasoning
Tabasco sauce to taste

Combine all ingredients in large bowl and chilled shrimp and mix well. Chill until ready to serve. Right before serving, place a large scoop of the shrimp salad on top of the avocado halves. Serve with a good loaf of French bread and a glass of wine. Bon Appetit!

Cajun Supermarket :: Your One Stop Cajun Shop!

********
Of all the types of Cajun dancing, the Cajun waltz is perhaps my favorite. It is a romantic swaying of two people with a special etiquette of it's own. It is up to the woman, how close she chooses to get to her partner. This is determined at the onset of the waltz, by how far she extends her arm and body from her dance partner. This is, in turn, respected by the man. It is important to have a knowledgeable dance partner, as the woman dances backwards, and must depend on the man to steer her and avoid running into other couples. The Cajun Waltz is performed in a giant circle on the dance floor.

8 comments:

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Love this!!! Wish I weren't allergic to shrimp!!! Avocado is my fave!!!! Must think about a substitute for shrimp...and try this out!!!! You are so gourmet!!!! Love the video! Such fun! Have a wonderful weekend!!! ~Janine XO

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

This is so cool and crisp for those hot and humid South Louisiana Days!

Marguerite said...

Wow, Janine, that is really something about your allergy to shrimp! You are such a dear, wonderful friend to visit my blog, even though just about every recipe of mine contains shrimp, my favorite thing to eat! lol Glad that you enjoyed the video.

Marguerite said...

Katherine- Yes, it's starting to get hot and humid. I know that you don't miss the summer weather in South Louisiana. Must be really nice in Eastern Tennessee. Enjoy it!

California Girl said...

Did I tell you how friggin' great this food looks? Did I? I LOVE Cajun food. I love New Orleans. I love crawfish, Sazerac cocktails, gumbo, remoulade, etc. I know I will get alot of great recipes from you and I'm psyched!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, but Marguerite...my husband is NOT allergic to shrimp...and neither are any of my guests...and so....I carry your recipes off with me up the eastern seaboard...and sneak into the mid-Atlantic with my Cajun Treasures!!!!!!And of course, when I make things up, I always put things to the side as I make them, and eat mine without, and add the with to the recipe for everyone else...And so mon ami (or is it amie? Can't recall), it is all well!!! Your blog is so fab!!!! And you, girlfriend, are the best blessing of all!!!!! Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words today!!!! Your visit lifted my spirits more than you can ever guess!!!! Have a great rest of the weekend~Janine XO

Marguerite said...

Cal. Girl- Thanks so much for the lovely compliments and for adding me to your reading list. I love both of your blogs and enjoy them so much. Check out my archives for more Cajun recipes.

Marguerite said...

S&S.-Thanks so much for your thoughtful and encouraging comments, cher. You are a blessing to everyone who knows you and I can assure you that the pleasure of your friendship is all mine. You are one in a million, girl-friend!!!