Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Spicy Cajun Cornbread + Bayou Boogie

Here's another family favorite that is really easy to make. This was my dear mother's recipe and it's still the best cornbread that I've ever eaten. The sweetness of the corn and the heat of the jalapenos, blend together like bread and butter. The buttermilk and cheese add a special touch. It is a perfect addition to any meal and is a common staple on the Cajun dinner table.

Spicy Cajun Cornbread

2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
1 tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup seeded and sliced jalapeno pepper
1 can creamed style corn

In a large bowl, beat the buttermilk, eggs and oil. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Mix well and pour into a greased cast iron skillet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

******
Cajun Jam- Blue Moon Saloon

6 comments:

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I am so enjoying your blog! It is fantastic. When I saw "Mamou" on your profile page, I meediately thought of Fred's on a Saturday morning!

Love the cornbread and love putting jalepenos in the batter!

Marguerite said...

Likewise, I am enjoying your wonderful blog, Katherine. You have some great recipes. I love going to Fred's, too. What a great post that would be. lol

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I will make this corn bread next week when I return from my little Mother's Day vacation. Fer sure!

Nancy said...

I can't wait to make this cornbread. Thank you for sharing. I'm also feeling like kicking up my heels after watching this dancing!

Anonymous said...

I made this recipe recently and it turned out really good! I will definitely be making it again. I diced the jalepenos instead of slicing them so they kind of melded in with everything else.

Jessica | Cajunlicious said...

Marguerite, I love this and can't wait to make it, not sure I will have the will power to share with the hubby, lol