Thursday, July 2, 2009

Cajun Fourth of July Cook-Out

It's almost time for the Fourth of July, and that means it's time to bring on the best that summer has to offer. I will be posting several of my favorite grilling recipes, for the next few days, along with some yummy side dishes. There is nothing better than getting together with family and friends, especially if there is a feast behind it. Here is a partial menu of the spread that I will be preparing for my guests. Le bon manger, cher!!! Wish ya'll were here! Have a Happy, Fun 4th!!!

Fourth of July Cook-Out Menu

Grilled Chicken Jalapeno Poppers
Spicy BBQ Chicken and Ribs
Deviled Egg Potato Salad
Cajun Rice Dressing
Grilled Creole Vegetable Kabobs
Grilled Cajun Corn on the Cob
Fresh fruit and veggie platters
Banana Coladas
Southern Iced Tea w/Mint and Lemon
   
Cajun Grilled Chicken Jalapeno Poppers

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves,
1 tbs. or more, Cajun seasoning
12 large jalapenos, cut in half, lengthwise, and seeded
Two 8 oz. packages cream cheese
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb. bacon, cut in half, lengthwise

Cut the chicken breasts crosswise into 1/2 inch strips, and season.


Sprinkle the top of each square of cream cheese with the minced garlic
Cut each square of cream cheese in half, lengthwise, and then cut each half into 6 pieces for a total of 12 pieces per square. Stuff each pepper with a piece of cream cheese, and press down. Then press a chicken strip down on top of the cream cheese. Wrap each pepper with a strip of bacon and hold in place with a toothpick. On an oiled grilling surface, grill away from direct heat for about 10 minutes on each side or until bacon is cooked. You might want to double the batch of these sinfully delicious poppers, cher! Bon appetit!

Cajun Rice Dressing

1 cup onions, chopped fine
1 cup celery, chopped fine
1 cup bell pepper, chopped fine
2 tsp.'s minced garlic
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound lean ground pork
1/4 lb. chicken giblets, chopped, optional
Salt and Tabasco, to taste
1/2 tsp. red pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tbs.'s Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1 bunch green onions, chopped, including tops
1  cup beef broth or stock
3 cups cooked rice

In heavy skillet, on medium heat, brown the beef, pork, giblets, salt and Tabasco, and cook, stir and chop with large spoon, until browned. Drain excess oil and add the trinity, (onions, bell peppers, and celery), garlic, and remaining seasonings and stir fry for 10 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth, stir, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the green onions and parsley and cook for 10 more minutes. Cut heat off and add the cooked rice and gently stir until well blended. Divinely delicious! Serves 6



8 comments:

Vagabonde said...

I just found your blog and read your 4th July menu. It is too much food for just my husband and I but the shrimp with Bourbon sauce looks very appealing. I like Bourbon – to drink or to add to food. I went to Paris, Kentucky a couple of months ago, which is in Bourbon County (where it all started) and brought a good bottle back, so I may try your recipe. I visited La Fayette a few years ago and talked with an older gentleman in the museum who spoke fluent French (without an accent). I thought he was French but he told me he had never left Louisiana. My mother used to be a member for years of the Association France-Louisiane in Paris. I’ll come back to read more of your blog, and as you say in Louisiane “Laissez les bons temps rouler!”

Joanne said...

Hm, if I leave first thing in the morning, will I make it on time, driving from New England? If not, dib the delicious seconds!

Laura said...

I just read your post to my husband and both of our mouths are watering!

Laura

Marguerite said...

Vagabond- So glad to meet you, and welcome to Cajun Country! That is so cool about your visiting Lafayette. I know that the menu sounds like a bit much, but I am expecting 20+ guests! The shrimp recipe is my favorite. Enjoy, and Happy 4th!!!

Marguerite said...

Joanne- I'm afraid you'd have to fly, at this point! lol It would take three days or so to drive here from New England, depending on where you live. I know, because I drove up to Cambridge, Mass., when my daughter was at Harvard. Happy 4th!

Marguerite said...

Thanks, Laura. Hope that you will try one or all of the recipes. They're the real thing, cher! Some recipes have been handed down for several generations. Happy 4th!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Yum! What can I bring? :)

Have a great 4th!

Marguerite said...

Angie- Just yourself and maybe some of that garden salad! Happy 4th!