Tuesday, November 17, 2009

More Cajun Thanksgiving Sides!


Now that we are getting ever so closer to Thanksgiving, I thought that I would post a few of my favorite vegetable side dishes that are a tradition at my house. It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without them. The first is a wonderful dish that is on my table throughout the year and was served at my daughter's wedding, as well. First published from the River Road cookbook, by the Junior League of Baton Rouge, and adapted to my taste, it's divine blend of cream and spicy cheese will compliment everything you're serving, and have your guests begging for the recipe. Cest bon, cher!

Spinach Madeleine

2 pkg.'s frozen chopped spinach
4 tbs.'s butter
2 tbs.'s flour
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup spinach liquid
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. each, celery salt and garlic salt
6 oz. Velveeta Mexican or Pepper Jack cheese, sliced into 1/4 inch cubes
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain and reserve liquid, and place spinach in a buttered casserole dish. In medium saucepan, on low heat, melt butter and saute onion until soft. Add flour, stirring until blended and smooth, but not brown. Slowly add half and half, spinach liquid, and Worcestershire sauce, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick. Add seasonings, and cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Combine with spinach and top with seasoned breadcrumbs and dot with butter. Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.Divine! Serves 8 Enjoy!

*******
This second dish is an all time favorite, also, with a buttery taste that will have you going back for more! Le bon manger'!

 Cajun Corn Casserole

1/4 cup butter
1 can cream style corn
1 can whole kernel corn
1 tbs. sugar
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cayenne pepper
1/2 cup water
1 6 oz. pkg. Mexican cornbread mix

 
Melt butter in small saucepan. In large bowl, combine melted butter, corn, sugar, eggs, salt and pepper, water and cornbread mix and blend well. Spoon into a 9 by 13 inch baking dish and bake @ 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serves 8 Bon appetit!

21 comments:

judi/Gmj said...

Yep, your pumpkin cheese cake is going to be the star on Thanksgiving here!

Cloudia said...

Goo-OOOD!

If I couldn't live (& eat!) in Hawaii, I'd live in Acadia!



Bonjour & Aloha, Cher!

Comfort Spiral

Jeni said...

One dish that I dearly love as do all of my kids too is Baked corn casserole. The recipe I use was one I got from a cousin of my Mom's and when she made it, it was absolutely exquisite. When I make it, it turns out okay but I think she left some trick thing out of the recipe when she passed it on to me. However, that is one dish that rarely sees the light of day on my table anymore simply because my intestines hate and I do mean HATE with a vengeance and would start World War 3 and continue on through World War 4 I'm afraid! But the spinach dish sounds good and interesting -a neat way to sneak some good-for-you veggies in on people, huh?

John said...

No rest for the 'wicked'.

Nancy said...

I am making at least one of these on Thanksgiving!

Joanne said...

I like the looks of that spinach recipe, and spinach is sooo good for you too!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

love the corn recipe... and I have an idea to make it more... midwestern (sorry, but if it works you will be proud... and if it doesn't you can tell me to keep it Cajun)

;)

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I need to write and Ode to Spinach Madeline...it's aginast the law in my house not to have this...of course we still have to have green bean casserole too to keep the rest of the natives happy!

Boozy Tooth said...

I totally bookmarked this so I can come back and print off the recipes.

A couple Thanksgvings ago we did a "Turducken" with Cajun sausage stuffing (that's a boneless chicken inside a boneless duck inside a boneless turkey with stuffing in between all the layers). It was spicy, tender and delicious. I'm sold on all things Cajun. Just love the bold flavors.

Thanks for the awesome recipes. Can't wait to try them out!

XO

Angie Ledbetter said...

Oh WHY can't I remember not to come by here until AFTER lunch? :) *drool*

The spinach is one of my favs ever. (I got Mz. Madeleine to sign my copy of River Roads on her recipe page. She used to own a B&B in St. Francisville. A real character.)

Velva said...

I am thinking that corn casserole looks pretty darn good. This is another perfect Thanksgiving side dish. Keep them coming!

GYPSYWOMAN said...

oh, yummmmm...another dinner at "home" - thanks so much for such a beautiful DELICIOUS table - love both the spinach and corn dishes!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

What an absolutely gorgeous setting...and I'm drooling over these recipes...the Spinach Madeleine, in particular!!! Yum, yum!!! Time to try another of Marguerite's specialties!!! Have a fabulous week, cher!!! Love you! Janine XO

Elizabeth Bradley said...

What a gorgeous spread! Thanksgiving is all about the sides. Fabulous.

Eddie Bluelights said...

Love to try both recipes, Marguerite. C'est bon! Il est magnifique ~ Eddie

Marguerite said...

Judi- Thanks so much, cher! I'm so glad that you are going to make it. Your guests will love it! Bon Appetit!

Bonjour and aloha, Gal-pal! Merci for the sweet compliment, cher! I know you would love it here! But, you would miss the beautiful weather and beaches.

Jeni- I would be delighted if you would try the Spinach Madeleine. A good way, indeed! Thanks for stopping by!

John- Thanks for the compliment, I think! lol And for visiting!

Nancy- Both are so easy and delicious and I'm so glad that you want to make one for Thanksgiving. Cest bon, cher!

Joanne- This spinach dish is fabulous! Hope you'll try it.
Delicious and nutritious!

Maggie May said...

I like the cheesy spinach one. Will definitely try that out.

Nuts in May

Marguerite said...

Dave- Sounds interesting and I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I'm sure you will do it justice! Merci for trying it!

Katherine- An ode to Spinach Madeleine! lol Great idea, it is a classic and I have found that it is a hit with non-spinach lovers, too. Ditto on the green bean casserole.

Alix- Thanks, so glad you liked them! Those Turduckens are out of this world! Very unique and Cajun!
You're welcome and thanks for coming by!

Angie- So cool, it's probably a collector's item, by now. It is a great recipe and cookbook and I would imagine Ms. Madeleine had a few more up her sleeve.

Velva- The corn casserole comes out perfect, every time. It is one of my daughter's faves and is great anytime, but especially on Turkey Day. Enjoy!

Marguerite said...

Gypsy- Thanks, welcome home, cher! The door is always open for you. Glad you liked the veggies. Cheers!

Janine- Merci for the nice compliments, cher! Hope you make the spinach, it's a real treat! It is a gorgeous setting, but it's not mine. (courtesy of Photobucket) lol Hope you have a fabulous week, too!

Elizabeth- Thanks for the sweet comment, cher! I love the sides, too. It is an incredible amount of food, once you get it all on the table!

Eddie- How sweet of you to drop by and leave such a nice comment! Hope you do try at least one of the recipes. The corn casserole is really easy and is divine. Bon appetit, cher!

Maggie- Thanks, this recipe is the best spinach recipe that I've ever tried. So glad you like it and want to try it. Enjoy!

A Cajun Down Under said...

Even though it is 100+ degrees here in Sydney, I will still be serving up Spinach Madeline on Thursday along with my Grandmother's cornbread dressing. Yum, Yum Yum! I can't wait.

Marguerite said...

Cajun- Welcome and thanks for visiting! So nice to meet another Cajun blogger! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!