Monday, September 28, 2009

Seafood Stuffed Bell Peppers + Bayou Blues

A friend gave me a bunch of bell peppers from his garden and I rushed over to my seafood market and bought everything to make these divinely delicious stuffed peppers. Crab meat, shrimp, and crawfish, yes thank you very much. You can never have enough of these 3 in your freezer! I've been making these for 30 years and God only knows where I got the recipe. But I know one thing, they are sinfully good! Cest bon, cher! Bon Appetit!!

Seafood Stuffed Bell Peppers

6 medium bell peppers
1/2 stick butter
1/2 lb. lump crab meat
1/2 lb. small shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 lb. peeled crawfish tails
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup each of the trinity, (onions, bell peppers, and celery)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tbs. Cajun seasoning
Few good shakes Tabasco
Salt to taste
1- 1/2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cut tops off bell peppers and wash and remove seeds. Par boil in large pot of salty water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. In large skillet, saute crawfish, shrimp, and the trinity in butter for 10 minutes. Add crab meat, seasonings, salt and Tabasco and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and add breadcrumbs and cheese and mix thoroughly. Stuff peppers and top with cheese and place in a shallow baking dish. Add 1 cup of water to bottom of the shallow baking dish and bake @ 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. If you don't have crawfish, they are just as good with shrimp and crab.

*******
Weekend Fun

It was a great weekend and now I'm rev-ing up for a really fun week, coming up in Cajun Country! On Wednesday, it's a friend's birthday party and see below for Thursday and Friday. I know, it doesn't leave much time for cooking , so I will be eating out, this week!

On Thursday, October 1st, River Ranch will host "Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys", at "Rockin' on the River" as part of their Fall concert series. Don't miss this fabulous dance band, playing all your Cajun faves.

Then on Friday, October 2, Bach Lunch kicks off it's Fall Friday lunch concert series at 11:30 am, in Parc Sans Souci, in downtown Lafayette. Les Freres Michot will entertain the crowd with their highly spirited Cajun tunes.

And then on Friday night, at the Downtown Alive T.G.I.F block party, this week's band, "Henry Gray and the Cats" will be playing the blues, in Parc International. Here's a little preview of this fabulous band, playing at The Louisiana Music Factory, in New Orleans, during this year's Jazz Fest! Enjoy! Can't wait, see ya'll there!! Let the good times roll, cher!



17 comments:

Jeni said...

That recipe really sounds terrific. One question though -I've never seen crawfish sold in this neck of the woods so what would you recommend as a replacement for that item in the recipe?

Kat said...

Oh, that looks soooooooooo good.
You are one lucky woman!

Carol Murdock said...

You Cajuns just party hearty! HA!
Love the recipe for sure!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Bell Peppers, stuffed with shrimp, crab and crawfish...

Only 2 and a half weeks til my trip to New Orleans... I am gonna eat like never before

Unknown said...

That looks wonderful! I'm new to your blog and love it. A really different vibe you have here. Makes me want to visit New Orleans soon.

Diane said...

Sounds yummy and looks like oodles of fun! Rainy here so no fun.... :O)

Marguerite said...

Jeni- These peppers would be delicious with just the shrimp and crab. I only add the crawfish because they are available and I love the flavor.

Kat- Thanks, cher! Try these, you'll love them. Yes, I am!

Carol- Yes, we do, cher, especially in Lafayette. Downtown is turning into another Bourbon Street!

Year on the Grill- Awesome combination, isn't it? You should start practicing now! ha!

Helena- Thanks for the lovely compliments and welcome to Cajun Country! I will visit soon!

Diane- Thanks for your sweet comment and for stopping by, cher. Wish you were here!

Helena- An award? Wow, merci beaucoup, I'll be right over!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

What a terrific recipe! I have a bunch of red peppers from the farmer's market, I'm gonna try it. Thanks.

Cloudia said...

OOOOO OUI!


Aloha, Friend!

Comfort Spiral

Lee said...

Hi Marguerite, was at Alix's place noticed your name and you a Cajun.
Have read abit on the interesting Cajun people.
I believe some were from Canada once upon a time?
The French I mean, who settled where you are?
And have read of the exciting Cajun dishes too...
your recipie is interesting, looks real good too.
Have fun and keep a song in your heart, Lee.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

That's what my Memare would call a healthy pepper!

Awesome looking peppers Marguerite.

Marguerite said...

Elizabeth- Merci, cher! This stuffing would be fantastic in red peppers, eggplant or mushrooms. I stuff everything with it! ha!

Cloudia- Mais oui, cher! So glad you're safe! Merci for stopping by. Aloha!

Uncle Lee- Welcome to Cajun Country! Merci beaucoup for your lovely comment and for visiting! You are right about the Cajuns. My ancestors came from France to Nova Scotia in 1603!! And that date is not a typo.

Katherine- And I'm sure your Memare knows her peppers, too. Merci for the sweet compliment, cher!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, looks sinfully delicious!!!! But I cannot believe that you have been making it for 30 years...you are not old enough to claim that!!! ;-) I ADORE your new header photo!!!! And I think your upcoming Cajun events sound fabulous!!!! Have a wonderful time, my friend! ~Janine XO

Diana said...

This sounds amazing..will have to try it! Thank you!

Marguerite said...

Janine- Merci beaucoup for the sweet compliments, cher! You are so kind! I will have to plead the 5th on the exact age but, trust me, I am! And I'm having a blast! Thanks for your good wishes, too! Hugs!

Diana- Thanks for your nice comment and for visiting! I just love your Feng Shui blog! Welcome to Cajun Country!

Vagabonde said...

That is another recipe to keep in my file. It looks like y’all are always dancing and having a party? No wonder you are a happy person, Chère Marguerite.

Unknown said...

Just made this for Sunday football opening day dinner! It is delicious! Added some extra heat to our liking and love that it's has minimal added salt! Will make this again and stuff additional items too!