Sunday, December 20, 2009

Cajun Baked Ham w/ Sugarcane-Bourbon Glaze + Cajun Rice Dressing

Here is an absolute family favorite that finds a home on my buffet table on Christmas , as well as many other occasions, throughout the year. It satisfies the carnivores in my family and is so easy to prepare. And the left over ham bone can be used to make my delicious Red Beans and Rice. Cest bon, cher!
Bon Appetit !


Cajun Baked Ham w/Sugar Cane -Bourbon Glaze
1 fully cooked ham, 6 to 8 lbs.

Glaze
1/2 cup pure cane syrup,( Steen's)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup bourbon
1 tsp. creole mustard
dash of ground cloves, cinnamon, and allspice

Place ham, fat side up in a large roasting pan. Place 1 inch of water in bottom of pan and add more periodically. Cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes per pound or until meat thermometer reads 148 degrees. About half way through, make the glaze. Combine all glaze ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Remove foil and spread half of the glaze over the ham about 30 minutes before ham is done. Spread other half of glaze in the final 10 minutes. Bon Appetit! So easy, so delicious!


*******
Here is a wonderful dish that goes well with so many things. This is a special recipe that has been handed down for generations, in my family. It compliments a ham, beef roast, or chicken dish, perfectly and is easy to make. Also known as "Dirty Rice", it is almost always on the Cajun table, and is especially good with barbeque. Enjoy!

Cajun Rice Dressing

First, make a light roux.
2 tbls.'s flour
2 tbls.'s vegetable oil
Brown the flour in the oil and stir constantly until it is medium brown, (about 10 minutes) and set aside.

1 cup onions, chopped fine
1/2 cup celery, chopped fine
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped fine
2 tsp.'s minced garlic
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound lean ground pork
1/4 lb. chicken giblets, chopped, optional
Salt and Tabasco, to taste
1/2 tsp. red pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tbs.'s Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1 bunch green onions, chopped, including tops
2 cups beef broth or stock
3 cups cooked rice

In heavy skillet, on medium heat, brown the beef, pork, giblets, salt and Tabasco, and cook, stir and chop with large spoon, until browned. Drain excess oil and add the trinity, (onions, bell peppers, and celery), garlic, and remaining seasonings and stir fry for 10 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, prepared roux, and beef broth, stir, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the green onions and parsley and cook for 10 more minutes. Cut heat off and add the cooked rice and gently stir until well blended. Divinely delicious! Serves 6


Wishing you all a fabulous, fun week, and a very Merry Christmas!


17 comments:

John said...

That ham I like; I would use English Colman's mustard, very hot and strong.

The Good Cook said...

That ham glaze sounds delicious. I have a beautiful spiral cut ham in my fridge.. thinking that your glaze will make a nice change from my usual. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Joanne said...

We're having ham on Christmas, too. Much of my cooking is done and frozen, lasagna and a few vegetable dishes, so this week will be restful and easy, going into the big holiday!

Kat said...

Hope you have a great week too! I wasn't going to do a ham, but seeing all the posts of great hams, well, I have to do it!! I think I'll try your glaze.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I am doing this ham for New Year's. i'm thinking about keeping things simple this year for Christmas.

Merry Christmas Marguerite!

Eddie Bluelights said...

Delicious Marguerite and I am with John - I love English mustard.
You have made me feel hungry again - Have a super Christmas / New Year ~ Hugs ~ Eddie

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

what a ham!

loving it

Mandy said...

Yummy, yummy! I'm so homesick right now too. I will have to try that cajun rice dressing recipe sometime soon.

Jeni said...

You're killing me! Seriously, you are! I'm cooking ham -which I love -for our Christmas Eve family supper/get-together, etc. The kids, grandkids and me. This ham looks and sounds so marvelous and oh my, how I want to try it too but I'm thinking do I really want to go all out fixing ham that will probably have me wanting to go back, again and again, for more and more of that succulent meat when I am SUPPOSED to be on a diet?
I may have to study this recipe very closely to see if I can make any adjustments to it that might make it a bit more conducive to functioning within my diet if people will just hold me back from the returns to the meat tray!
Peace, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and this old quasi-Swede is also tossing in a wish to you for a God Jul!

Devon Ellington said...

That sounds absolutely fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing!

Marguerite said...

John- Thanks, I love Colman's mustard, too! It can be used in place of the Creole mustard, and maple syrup can sub for the cane, but please leave the bourbon in!

Good Cook- Thanks, I'm glad you like it. It is out of this world! You're welcome and merry Christmas to you and yours!

Joanne- Lucky you! The lasagna sounds great! I have a friend who does all Italian dishes on Christmas! Joyeaux Noel!

Kat- So glad you want to try it! It has a wonderful flavor! Thanks for coming by and hope you have a blessed Christmas!

Katherine- It's a great recipe and would be perfect with some smothered cabbage and black eyed peas, for New Years! Merry Christmas to you, too, cher!

Marguerite said...

Eddie- It is my pleasure to make you hungry, cher! Colman's mustard is one of my faves, too. Hope you have a Joyeaux Noel, mon amis!

Dave- I challenge you to make it because I know that you would love it. Plus, it's easy! Happy Holidays, cher!

Mandy- Thanks, glad you like it! The rice dressing is divine and I hope that you will try it. Have a very merry Christmas!

Jeni- You should forget about the diet on Christmas and go for it!
And just be sure to save some for yummy ham sandwiches, the next day. Have a Joyeaux Noel, cher!

Devon- Merci beaucoup for the sweet compliment and for coming by! You're very welcome! Happy Holidays!

Foodiewife said...

This is one of the most beautiful ham recipes I've seen. I saw Emeril make one similar to this, and I finally found the sugar cane ingredient in California-- it wasn't easy! The whole menu looks amazing!
I'm so craving beignets, too. Man, I miss Louisiana! I hope to get there to visit again.

Marguerite said...

Debby- It's so good to hear from you! Merci beaucoup for stopping by and for your lovely comment. I consider that quite a compliment, coming from such a gourmet chef, as yourself! Your blog is fabulous! Happy New Year!

Donald Redman said...

I love the recipe. I will try it this weekend and if it's as good as I'm sure it will be, can I have your permission to reprint the recipe over on my site?
theredmanwritingproject.blogspot.com

Marguerite said...

Donald- Thanks so much for wanting to try the recipe! The bourbon glaze is divine and won't disappoint. Since my recipes are copyrighted, you can't reprint them on your blog, but you may include a link to this post and offer the recipe to your readers via the link.

Unknown said...

I now live further West from the Mississippi than should be allowed by law but with that being said, I brought my Southern/Creole cooking with me. I have found a trick using Brown Sugar Bourbon in this recipe that has turned out to be fantastic.