Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Spicy Crab and Catfish Stew + Zydeco Fun

It was a beautiful summery weekend in Cajun country, and we went fishing and crabbing with friends and really racked up. What to do with all of this wonderful seafood caught in local waters was easy. I fried some of the catfish and made a big crab and catfish stew. And believe me when I tell you, cher, it was all out of this world! Bon appetit! Enjoy!

Spicy Crab and Catfish Stew 

2 lbs. catfish fillets, cut into 3 inch pieces
1/2 dozen cleaned crabs or 1 lb. lump crab meat
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup flour
1 cup each , onions and bell peppers, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes w/ green chilies

3 cups seafood stock or water
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

1/4 cup green onions, sliced
2 tbs.'s or more Creole seasoning (divided)
2 whole lemons, quartered
3 bay leaves
Salt and Tabasco to taste

(photo courtesy of Google Images)

Squeeze lemon juice on catfish and generously rub with Creole seasoning and set aside. In large heavy pot, brown the flour in the oil, on medium heat, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes. 



 When roux is a light brown, lower heat and add onions, bell pepper, and celery,  and continue to stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add a little water, if necessary. Add salt, tomatoes, other tbs. Creole seasoning, seafood stock, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.


Add hot sauce, crabs and catfish, and stir gently,  and simmer for 15 minutes. Add parsley and green onions,  and simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve over cooked rice with a scoop of Remoulade Potato Salad, and French bread. Sinfully delicious ! Serves 6


For my Remoulade Potato Salad recipe, click here

I'll be linking these to the following parties ~
Full Plate Thursday
Potpourri Friday

*******
Zydeco Fun

We recently had an absolute blast at the Zydeco breakfast at Cafe' des Amis, in Breaux Bridge. We couldn't resist the Eggs Begnaud, (grilled biscuit with eggs, topped with crawfish etouffee),  and then of course, we had to dance it off. Here's a little clip of one of my favorite bands, Jeffery Broussard and the Creole Cowboys, playing their spicy brand of Cajun/Zydeco music at Cafe des Amis. Crank it up for this one, cher, and let the good times roll!

 

Hope you're all having a fabulous week! Merci beaucoup for stopping by!

26 comments:

Pam said...

Your stew must've been Cajun heaven for sure, it sounds scrumptious! And so does that breakfast you had; you certainly wouldn't find that around here unfortunately. Thanks for the recipe and the video also! It rocks!

Joanne said...

Marguerite, summer definitely lives on here at your blog, with such good food and music too. That stew looks divine :)

Angie's Recipes said...

That's a pot of deliciouness! Droolworthy!

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Sniff...I think I can smell it all the way here in CA. It looks really tasty and hearty!
Thanks..

Eddie Bluelights said...

Glad you caught so many great catches LOL and the spicy crab and catfish stew must have been wonderful. Beats me where you get all your energy, cher, but wonderful to see you enjoying life so much. Cheers

Kittie Howard said...

It's 5:45 and I'm drooling! I wish I could dive into your stew - my new fav for seasoning is River Road Seasoning. Can taste it on that catfish now!

Hub's in Norfolk on a biz trip, think this grazing just makes me hungrier for real food!

Linda Starr said...

Cajun food even for breakfast you have such a good time in cajun country.

Cloudia said...

always good times here with good people.

check out this 'Cajun' restaurant in Asia!!





Warm Aloha from Waikiki;

Comfort Spiral


> < } } ( ° >



><}}(°>

< ° ) } } > <

Cloudia said...

drat! it didn't show up!

Cloudia said...

http://foongpc.blogspot.com/2011/09/secret-of-louisiana.html


cut and paste!

kitchen flavours said...

wow, looks so delicious, everthing! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

My dad and me go out with the baot fishing every week:) This idea looks so tasty:)) Love the music too;)

Carol Murdock said...

Today is my B'Day...headed for Cajun Country tomorrow to celebrate! XO

Michelle B said...

Lemon, and bay, and ro-tel...oh my! Some of my favorite things. Not to mention crabs! Always seems to taste better when you catch them yourself.

Steve Riley Friday night!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't made any crab soup this year. (But whenever we steam the crabs, we tend to EAT them before I get around to making soup ...) But this catfish and crab stew sounds awesome. Just the thing for a cool autumn evening. (If it ever GETS cool!) Thanks. I'll definitely be giving this a try.

Big Dude said...

The stew sounds delicious and looks even better, especially with the bones sticking out. the potato salad is also on my try-list.

Marguerite said...

Pam- The stew is FAB and I hope you give it a try. You're welcome and thanks, so glad you enjoyed it!

Joanne- Yes, it does and I wish that summer would never end. Thanks, it is and I hope that you try it!

Angie- Thanks so much for the nice compliment and for stopping by!

Eddie- lol! Merci cher, it was wonderful! It's a combo of good genes and good vitamins! lol Cheers!

Kittie- Thanks, my pleasure to make you drool, cher! :) River Road sounds great, I'll have to look for it. Hope you try the stew!

FG- Thanks, so glad you like it! It's very tasty and very hearty! You're welcome!

A Kitchen Witch said...

Mon ami, that stew looks amazing!

Rosaria Williams said...

Always a feast to enjoy when I visit here. And the music? Just the right ending!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Wow, that big crab claw sticking out of the pot has me smacking my lips for some good Louisiana crabs. Cajun comfort food cher!

Drick said...

dat is a pot of gold, full of life's richest rewards... I can just taste it right now - I think I will just spend a few moments starring at that bowl of goodness...

Unknown said...

Every time I stop by your blog I leave wearing a smile! Love the Creole Cowboys. :-))) Helena xx

Marguerite said...

Linda- A Cajun breakfast is a great way to start the day! Yes, having fun is what we do best! :)

Cloudia- You got that right, cher! Thanks for the link, I'll check it out! Sounds interesting!

kf- Thanks, so glad you like it and hope you give it a try! Hope you're having a great day, too!

Dzoli- That sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks, it is, and I hope you try it! So glad you enjoyed it!

Carol- Hope you're having a blast in the haunted cabin! Happy Birthday, again, and Happy Year!

MM- Thanks, they are my faves, too, and the crabs are so good this year. Fresher that way. I looked for you, but didn't see you!

Honey at 2805 said...

The stew looks delish! And the breakfast sounds divine! At cajan delights: come for the food - stay for the music!

Thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday! I want you to know you are appreciated!

Jessica | Cajunlicious said...

I could dive into this and stay there all day! Yum, Cher!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, this is one delicious recipe at the same time reminds me of a recipe I tried before called catfish stew.