Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Spicy Crock Pot Cornbread Dressing + Bayou Boogie

If  Halloween is over, can Thanksgiving be far behind? Only 3 weeks away and if I don't start planning now, I know that I'll be wishing that I had. Here's a fabulous cornbread dressing recipe that was given to me by one of my dear cousins. It's easy to prepare and cooking it in the crock pot will free up some oven space for the turkey. It also pairs well with roasted chicken or a ham, and can also stand alone as a delicious entree on it's own. Cest bon, cher!  Bon appetit!

Spicy Crock Pot Cornbread Dressing

1 (9x9) inch, day old,  cornbread, (recipe below)
12 slices day old bread, toasted and cubed
1/2 stick butter
1 lb. Andouille or smoked sausage, diced
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup each, red bell peppers and green bell peppers, chopped
2 ribs celery, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup green onions, including tops, sliced thin
1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 tsp. dried sage
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tbs. Cajun seasoning, divided
1 tbs. Worcestershire
1 can, (10 1/2 oz.) cream of mushroom soup
2 cans, (10 1/2 oz.) chicken broth or stock
Salt and Tabasco, to taste

In large bowl, coarsley crumble "day old" corn bread and add bread cubes, and set aside. In large skillet, brown sausage with 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning and skim off excess fat. Add trinity and garlic and continue cooking for 5 minutes on medium heat, and set aside.


Add all of the other ingredients to the bowl, except butter. Fold in meat mixture and mix well. Transfer to a greased 4 quart crock pot, dot with butter, and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours. Keep warm until ready to serve. Or transfer to a buttered baking dish, cover with foil, and refrigerate. Then,  prior to serving, heat through in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes to 20 minutes.


Mama's Buttermilk Cornbread

1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tbs.'s sugar
2 1/2 tsp.'s baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and vegetable oil. And add to the dry ingredients, and stir, until just mixed, and pour into a buttered baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is browned and a toothpick comes out clean.

 For more of my Thanksgiving recipes, click here.

I am sharing this at ~

*******
Bayou Boogie

Here's a little clip that I took of Wayne Toups and Zydecajun rev-ing up the crowd at Festival Acadiens, in October.  The crowd loved this band and there was a whole lotta boogie-ing going on. Wayne is simply the best accordion player on the planet. 

Wayne Toups and Zydecajun


Hoping you're all having a fantastic week. Merci beaucoup for stopping by!

26 comments:

Susanna Powers said...

Can we just start eating this now? (It looks delicious!) thanks, sp

Eddie Bluelights said...

C'est Magnifique. I really must venture into the kitchen one day and treat us to one of your treats. Impossible to pick the first one to try - they all look fantastic. Hope I don't make them all look and taste like lumps of charcoal LOL. Cheers, cher ~ Eddie

judi/Gmj said...

I'm with Sussah, lets start early.

nanny said...

I love dressing so very much!! Don't know why I only have it 2 times a year???

Honey at 2805 said...

Dressing! My favorite food at Thanksgiving, other than desert of course! Thanks for the recipe!

hidden art of homemaking said...

that looks so good..and I love your new header picture and the new things you have done on your blog. hope your week is going the way you want it to...

Pat Tillett said...

One of these days, I'm going to open up your blog and find something that doesn't look good to me. It hasn't happened yet though! YUM!!!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I am hoping you'll post more Thanksgiving recipes between now and then. I'm looking for new ideas. This one looks fab, will try it!

Big Dude said...

This sounds soooo good. We have a slow cooker dressing recipe, but it's not in the same league with this one.

Rosaria Williams said...

Now, this is a very smart idea.

Miriam said...

Great idea! Delicious recipes :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Kat said...

I love using my crock pot for big dinners. Thanksgiving the oven is always full and side dishes waiting in line, only to go in after Mr. Tom. I think I will give this dressing a try, it looks delicious. Always.

Cajunate said...

Looks great as usual. I could eat a nice helping of that right now for breakfast!

Jessica | Cajunlicious said...

OK seriously this just made my mouth water, it looks so delicious Marguerite!

bj said...

Altho I don't care for the Cajun seasonings, I could use my crock pot to cook my dressing. Thanks so much for this tip...never thought about it.
xo bj

Marguerite said...

sussah- Thanks, no need to wait until Thanksgiving. :) I paired it with a ham that I cooked over the weekend. You're welcome!

Eddie- Merci, cher, so glad you like it! I wish that you would try just one recipe! LOL If it flops, you could always blog about it. LOL

judi- You can never start early enough for that meal! :) Thanks for stopping by, cher!

nanny- I love it too and it's one of my family's faves, so I make it year round. Goes great with chicken, too.

Honey- Thanks, so glad you like it and hope you give it a try! You're welcome!

Mona- Thanks so much for your lovely comment! Hope you are having a great week, too!

kitchen flavours said...

Both looks delicious! I can just imagine all the delicious yummies that will be served at your Thanksgiving table! Would love to be your guest! :)

Linda Starr said...

Dressing can be cooked in a crock pot? Now I am big trouble, I love dressing, on thanksgiving that's all I would need to be happy, this one sounds delicious.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Marguerite,
I often times make my dressing in the Crock Pot, but your recipe with the Andouille and cajun spices looks really delicious. I pinned your post, it is great! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Angie's Recipes said...

I don't think I have ever had cornbread prepared this way...it looks sensational!

Pooch Purple Reign said...

i tried the pumpkin cupcakes and they rocked! it seems everybody loves dressing. this looks really interesting. thx
~laura xx

Drick said...

never heard of dressing in a crockpot, what else does your friend want to share? maybe an easier way for turkey too? hope you had a great weekend...

Kittie Howard said...

Delicious! When it comes to turkey, I can take it or leave it. But not cornbread dressing! OMG! It's so good it's sinful (well, the amount I tuck into, LOL) Printed your recipe. It looks sooooo delicious. Hub returns Thanksgiving Day. Gonna have a small turkey and your dressing and cranberry sauce. Nope, haven't forgotten about the wine!

Thanks for stopping by and your warm wishes. I'm still on a cloud with Remy. Just placed a small announcement in BR's "Advocate" that will run for a week: "Remy Broussard's Christmas" on Kindle, $3.99

Michelle B said...

Is this packed with good things, or what! Love that it's made in the crock. Everything Thanksgiving tends to want to be in the oven.

A serving (or two) of this stuffing and some Wayne Toups...couldn't want for more.

Thanks for linking w/ See Ya In the Gumbo. Very happy to have this!

Gypsy Heart said...

Hmmmm, hmmmm, good!!

xo
Pat

Gypsy Heart said...

Hmmmm, hmmmm, good!!

xo
Pat