Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Spicy Bayou Crab Cakes w/ Creole Tartar Sauce

 Now here is one of my favorite recipes that will knock your socks off and make you wish you had more. Divinely delectable, this recipe was given to me by a dear friend from New Iberia. It is one of the best crab cakes that you will ever eat. It starts with 1 pound of lump Louisiana crab meat and just gets better from there.

 

 Spicy Bayou Crab Cakes

1 lb. lump crab meat
2 tbs.'s butter
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 green onion tops, sliced, including tops
1 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1 egg
1 tbs. Tony's Creole Seasoning or Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbs. Creole mustard
2 tbs.'s mayonnaise
Few shakes Tabasco
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup white cornmeal and
1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs, mixed together
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil for frying

Melt the butter in a skillet, and saute onions, garlic, and parsley until soft, and set aside. Place crab in a large bowl and squeeze lemon juice over the crab meat and mix gently.


In separate bowl, combine sauteed veggie mixture, egg, Tony's, salt, garlic powder, mustard, mayonnaise, and breadcrumb/cornmeal mixture, and mix well. Fold into crab meat, until just mixed. Shape into 4 patties.

Pour oil into skillet to a depth of 2 inches. Fry in vegetable oil until golden brown, flip and repeat on other side. So much flavor, with so little effort and worth the calories! Divine!

Bon Appetit!

******

Creole Tartar Sauce


1 cup light mayo
1 tbs. Creole mustard
1 tbsp. each, green onions and fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Few shakes Tabasco

Combine all ingredients in bowl and chill .

12 comments:

John said...

My God, they sound good.

Irish Gumbo said...

Living in Maryland, crab cakes often approach the level of a religion! Hard to say which one is the right one, but this one sounds (and looks) like it might lead you to the Promised Land.

Mmm, mmm, Marguerite, you are right, I could use me one of those...

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

What an excellent way to prepare crabcakes. I've been craving these!

Jo said...

Every time I visit your blog, my stomach begins to rumble... :-)

Thank you for sharing this wonnnnnnderful recipe. I know what I'm making for dinner tonight.

You sure know how to live!

Jeni said...

It's been well over 30 years since I had a really good crab cake. Back when I lived in Maryland (just outside D.C.) there was a little bar that I frequented then -The Shady Oak Inn - and I used to love to get their crab cake sandwich there. Haven't found any place here in central PA that makes a good crab cake (very few places even offer them here, for that matter) and for me to make that dish -it would be just for me since the rest of the family has this thing about eating certain types of seafood. Fools that they are, ya know. But boy, that recipe - and the picture you posted of the crab cake -sure is mouth-watering!

Vagabonde said...

I placed my comment under the wrong post, here it is again: These crab cakes look so delicious – that is a recipe to keep. I don’t know about making it for just my husband and I – he does not have much appetite and won’t eat much (wish I knew how he does it!). So, I am getting to think that we should pay a visit to Louisiana to eat such delicacies, don’t know when though because our next trip already reserved and all is to Halifax, Nova Scotia and surrounding areas. I hope their cuisine is good there too.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't hungry until I saw that, thanks...

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I am always amazed at how many different ways there are to make meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, and crab cakes. These sound wonderful, my recipe is very different. I'm going to give this one a try. Hope you liked the tomato salad!

Marguerite said...

John- Glad that you liked the crab cakes. I'm afraid that I told you the wrong month for the Muffaletta post. It is the May 18, 09' post. Sorry about that. :)

Irish- After living in Maryland for 20+ years, believe me when I tell you that I understand about Maryland crab cakes. I could use me one of those, too! Thanks for stopping by!

Katherine- So good to hear from you, cher! I know what you mean about craving these. Merci for the nice compliment. Yours look totally divine, too.

Jo- Thanks so much for your kind comment and for visiting, cher! It's my pleasure to share the recipe. Hope that you enjoy them! Cheers!

Marguerite said...

Jeni- Over 30 years! Well I think that it's time for you to take a little trip to Maryland! lol Such a coincidence that eight of my bloggie friends used to live in Maryland and three still do. They do seem to have the best crab cakes in the world! Thanks,so glad you enjoyed the post.

VB- Thanks so much for posting your lovely comment again. You will love Halifax, just breathtaking scenery and the food is "to die for". If you can, come for Festival Acadiens, Oct.9-11.

Mister Nobody- A good appetite is a sign of health! Thanks for visiting! Your post was very interesting, today.

Marguerite said...

Elizabeth- Funny you should mention meatloaf. Two of my bloggie friends posted a meatloaf recipe on the same day. I would love to see your crab cake recipe, especially if it's as good as your tomato salad! Thanks for coming by!

Nancy said...

Okay, now I'm salivating! My favorite food is crab cakes, and the best I have had was in New Orleans. I will try to do you justice and make these one night for dinner.