Sunday, September 25, 2011

Decadent Cajun Pecan Treats + Bayou Boogie

A friend gave me a big bag of shelled pecans and you might say that I got carried away, making a few decadent Cajun pecan treats. Here are a few of my favorite pecan recipes that will not only satisfy a sweet tooth, but make you wish that you had doubled the batch. They are so rich and scrumptious and are all adapted from the fabulous "Something to Talk About" cookbook, compiled by the Junior League of Lafayette. They are a special treat that I love to serve my guests and sometimes just to satisfy my "ahnvee" (craving) for a little something sweet and so easy, too.  Enjoy!

Bourbon- Pecan Pie Brownies

1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 egg
2 sticks softened butter
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup dark Karo syrup
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. each, vanilla and almond extracts

1 shot of bourbon
1 cup chopped pecans

Reserve 3/4 cup cake mix. Combine remaining cake mix and 1 egg in large bowl and beat until smooth. Add butter and mix well. Press into bottom of a 13x9 inch baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, 3 eggs, vanilla and almond extracts, chopped pecans, bourbon, and reserved cake mix in large bowl and mix well. Pour over the baked layer and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into squares. Out of this world!


********
This second one is one of my son's faves and seriously, he can polish off the whole pan if I don't hide them. Totally decadent and worth the calories, cher! Divine!

Chocolate Chip-Pecan Pie Bars






Click here for the recipe.








********
And last, but not least, is this fabulous pie that is just heavenly and just perfect for the holidays or anytime you want a sinfully decadent dessert! Especially when you add a little bourbon to it.

Chocolate Fudge Pecan Pie



I'll be sharing these at~
Sweet Indulgences Sunday
Sunday Showcase Party
Tuesday Talent Show
These Chicks Cooked 
Full Plate Thursday
Potpourri Friday
Saturday Night Special

********
Bayou Boogie






Click here for the recipe.





















I've received a special request for a clip of one of my favorite bands, The Bluerunners. They play an eclectic blend of Cajun, roots, rock, and blues and are were one of the most popular bands in Louisiana and toured worldwide. They no longer play together on a regular basis, but are scheduled to perform for a special reunion performance at Downtown Alive, in October.  I took this little clip at Festival International and they are seen here, playing with Horace Trahan, an accordion player with a band of his own. This one's for you, cher!

The Bluerunners

36 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

Thanks for these recipes. I want to go to Georgia and buy pecans now.

Martha said...

Oh yum! I want to go get some fresh pecans now too - and I don't usually even like sweets but these sound so delicious!!

Anonymous said...

I love pecans..nothing tastes nuttier than them:) And in brownies..nami..off to try it;)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

You say pecans, brown sugar, butter and Karo Syrup, you are speaking my language! And I have everything I need for these recipes except the pecans!

Eddie Bluelights said...

Just looked up Decadence - it says, "a luxurious self-indulgence". LOL I can imagine this description is 'right on the button!' Must go and catch some Pecans LOL. Oh and I wish I had known that your Cajun Bloody Mary's cure Hangovers! LOL Cheers cher.

Susanna Powers said...

The almond extract is a wonderful addition to the banana cake recipe, and this one looks great too. Chocolate fudge pecan pie!! Wow! thanks, sp

Joanne said...

I cast my vote for the Chocolate Fudge Pecan Pie ... Pour me a hot cup of decaf and I could enjoy a slice right now :)

Drick said...

now that is some friend, shelled pecans, that's like gold coins... I've had eye on these brownies, sound so good and so does the pecan pie bars and that fudge pie is out-of-sight... I think I could polish off a pan by halftime...

A Kitchen Witch said...

Whoa! Death by pecans. I think I could have all of these on my Thanksgiving table. YUM-O

Cloudia said...

Now that we moved ashore I have a kitchen and am re-learning how to cook. Delight!


Aloha from Waikiki;

Comfort Spiral


> < } } ( ° >



><}}(°>

stinkerbelle said...

I can't wait until I have some time (and pecans) to try these recipes! They all sound wonderful!

Miriam said...

I gotta try that pie!!! I love anything pecan but when you add choclate to it I am putty in your hands. :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Linda Starr said...

I'll go for a little bourbon with my pecans. I have a recipe for carmelized nuts with lavender I'll have to dig out the recipe and share it.

Kat said...

Wishing I had a big ole bag of pecans! The Pecan Pie has to be fabulous! Cher!

Michelle B said...

Fabulous treats! I can see why the Choc Chip Pecan Pie bars are your son's favorites. I have a feeling I'd go for 'em too.

I looked for you Friday night too--we were all over the place though. Steve Riley is my son's idol and he was just too excited to be there!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Eek, if I try all your wonderful recipes, I'll be too big to fit through the front door. And forget sitting in my car's bucket seat, too. But doggone it, it just might be worth it ...

Kim McCallie said...

You always have such great recipes! I love anything that involves pecan. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

Marguerite said...

twm- So good to hear from you! You're welcome, and I hope you try them! Thanks for stopping by!

Martha- Thanks, cher! So glad you like them and I hope you give them a try. They are all fab!

Dzoli- I love pecans and they are my fave, too! Thanks, the brownies are divine and I hope you make them!

Eddie- Merci, cher, it also means sinful! lol A Cajun Bloody Mary will cure a hangover, every time. lol Recipe on my blog!

sussah- Thanks, I love the flavor that the almond extract gives. Warning: This pie is addictive! :) You're welcome, cher!

Joanne- Thanks, good choice, it's so easy to make and I hope you give it a try because I know you would love it! :)

nanny said...

I think that pie is calling my name!!!

Jessica | Cajunlicious said...

Perfect treats for this time of year! They all look fantastic, Marguerite!

Anonymous said...

Forget the great music you always share... I am simply moving in!

Pam said...

I don't know which is better, the pecans or the bourbon in the brownies so I have to try the recipe to find out. On our trips south, we loaded up with pecans, they're the best! The Bluerunners know how to rock!

Slice of Southern said...

LOL! I'm sitting here eating pecans and reading your post...about pecans! Must be kismit. Love the pie recipe, yum!

Unknown said...

I found your blog thru the Blog Hop and I'm so glad I did!
So many sites claim to be Cajun and they are not! So happy to find a true Cajun sharing real Cajun Food!
I am now following!

Gypsy Heart said...

Well, you've hit the nail on the head with these pecan recipes!! I know I'll try them all. :-) My family loves anything with pecans.

xo
Pat

Nicole Wellon {evieLu} said...

Following from the blog hop :)
Hope to see you around my place sometime ;)

kitchen flavours said...

I would really love to receive a bag of pecans! They are really expensive over here! All your desserts look delicious! Have a nice day!

Frances said...

Your blog is awesome! I found you from the hop. I am now a follower. I love cooking. I have written pecans on my grocery list 5 times. LOL. I am so going to be baking this weekend!

http://www.alaskanbookcafe.com/

stlavonlady said...

Hello from your newest follower! Are you kidding me? These recipes look amazing!! SO glad I am now following you from the Thursday blog hop!
Have an awesome Thursday!

Julie
Stlavonlady The Best Tips, Tricks and Savings

Angie's Recipes said...

Those look sinfully decadent! I love the pie the most!

Velva said...

My husband loves pecans. He would love, love these sweet treat that you prepared.

Have a great weekend.

Velva

Julie said...

These look really good. I now want to make something with pecans in it.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Marguerite,
I am all kicked back with your Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie Bars that are just heavenly. We will just stay for a while and listen to The Bluerunners and a little Cajun Boogie. Hope you are having a great week and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Anonymous said...

These all look Yummy!
New follower here from the Say Hi Sunday Hop, http://truebluefansofthevampirediaries.blogspot.com/
Hope you can stop by and follow me back, Thanks.

Honey at 2805 said...

Is this a trick? Do we have to make a choice or can we have all three? Please say all three! These are the yummiest yet of your yummys! It must be all the chocolate and pecans!

Thank you! I'm delighted you linked this post to Potpourri Friday! I appreciate your participation!

Abby said...

I love pecans, and I love brownies. These sound great!