Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Visit with Cuz + New Orleans Beat

Although today might be officially the first day of Fall, we are still in summer mode in Cajun Country, with temps. around 90, for highs and 70, for lows. It's a lovely time of year, warm, but not hot, and mornings and evenings are nice. I am thankful for this extra month of summer and all it embraces, including being able to wear flip flops, swim, and go boating. I would love to live somewhere, where it would be summer all year long. That somewhere would have to have Cajun cuisine, music, and people, of course.


*******



 
I dropped by my dear cousin's house for a little visit the other day, and as usual, Cuz was busy working in her beautiful yard. It is one of her passions and she was definitely born with a green thumb. The patio was a bit too sunny, so we retreated to her lovely, shady porch for a few glasses of wine and a little music. I brought my cd's, so I picked one of my faves,"La Toussaint".


I was in the mood for some Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys. Their La Toussaint album is fabulous and has several of my favorite songs on it. Since Cuz has music piped out to the yard, it was a most enjoyable afternoon. Here is a shot of her pond that she built herself, complete with 12'' long goldfish under those lily pads.


******
Here is a clip of my favorite song on the La Toussaint CD, "New Orleans Beat" Crank it up for this one. Enjoy! Happy Fall , Ya'll !!!

16 comments:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

What a lovely patio and yard. We are still warm here too. I do like the change of seasons though. I wouldn't want it to be summer all the time. But, I don't want extreme weather changes, no snow or freezing temps. I used to love the snow but not anymore. Southern California spoiled me!

Happy Autumn to you to!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Amazingly enough, we do have a fall-like day in Texas. First time since 1995 (heard that on the news, but remember as my kids were small and I depended on the neighborhood pool.) Right now, I'm under the covers. Downright chilly out. Might be headed your way. Warming up by the weekend.

Lovely scenes in your photos. Looks like the perfect place for wine and music.

Cloudia said...

Good smells, sounds, words, pics, Mon Ami. Thanks! ;-0


We DO have a couple of "Cajun" restaurants here in Honolulu...you know you're welcome, Sistah...

Just saying....

Aloha!
Comfort Spiral

Nancy said...

Such a nice place to spend an afternoon. The music, the company, the wine, and you have the makings for a great day.

Babzy.B said...

I enjoyed the music very much thanks for sharing :)

Kat said...

Sounds like a good visit with Cuz. I have a cousin or two like that, but, alas they do not live close by. I love her yard! She does have a green thumb.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I always enjoy your video and sound clips. Your cus has a beautiful yard.

Come vivist us in the mountains...lows around 60 and highs around 81!

John said...

We're having something of an Indian Summer in the area around London at the moment, which means our highs are about the same as your lows. At least it's not raining. Not sure how far I'd have to go to get Cajun, probably the States.

Kathryn Magendie said...

hello! So glad you stopped by from Angie's place!

I lived in So La (BR) for many years - which is how I know Angie.

I scrolled down your blog to "follow" you and saw you have some of the same cookbooks we do! *smiling*

If you are planning on attending the La Book Fest, then stop and say "hi" - I'll be there as an author - *smiling*

Kathryn Magendie said...

PS - I REALLLLY want a shrimp poboy - BAD! *laugh*

Marguerite said...

Elizabeth- Thanks, cher! I had my fill of shoveling snow in Maryland and I don't miss it either.
Happy Autumn to you, too!

Marguerite said...

Midlife- Glad you're having a cool front. Rainy day here, today, so maybe we'll get one, too.
Merci, it is! Cheers and Happy Fall!

Cloudia- Merci, cher, for the kind invitation. I just might take you up on it, one of these days! Perfect climate you have in Hawaii. Aloha!

Nancy- Oh it is. Many a fun afternoon and evening at Cuz's house. Real Southern hospitality!
Happy Fall, cher!

Babzy- You're so welcome! The pleasure was all mine to share it with you. Glad you enjoyed it!

K. said...

I downloaded La Toussaint on your recommendation and have it on as I write. Hot!

Marguerite said...

Kat- Yes, Cuz and I have known each other since I was one week old! We were born one week apart. I could write a book on our adventures, in La., California, and Colorado!

Katherine- Thanks for your nice comments, cher! I would love to visit you, in the mountains! Maybe on my way up to Maryland. :)

John- Glad you are having nice weather. The only place on earth where you can get "the real deal" on Cajun is right here, dude!

Kathryn- So happy to meet you, finally, after seeing you over at Angie's and Carol's, for so long. Those cookbooks are the best! I'll try to make the La. Book Fest, for sure. Welcome to Cajun Country!!!

K.- Then I guess you're all set, cher! :) I love the Steve Riley stuff from the 90's and early 2000's. He's toned it down a lot, since then.

Jeni said...

I think I prefer "late" summer as opposed to full summer weather. Warm but not raging hot or so oppressive hot and humid heat, ya know. Right now, it is cold and rainy here in PA and this stuff, to me, is just downright depressing.
But how neat it was to hear that music! So uplifting in melody but especially, the beat. Good choice for me to listen to on a cold, wet, dreary day here!

Marguerite said...

Jeni- So glad that I could brighten up your day with a little Cajun music! Thanks for visiting!