Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Marguerite's Cornbread Muffins + More Bayou Boogie!

When my kids were little, they didn't like cornbread, cut into triangles, so I started making cornbread muffins. Suddenly, they loved cornbread and would eat several at a time, especially with chili or soup. I have used my basic cornbread recipe and added a few tweaks. Now that they're grown and have developed a taste for hot and spicy food, I add jalapenos and cheese. Buttery, hot, and delicious!

 
Marguerite's Cornbread Muffins

2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped jalapeno pepper (optional)

In a large bowl, beat the buttermilk, eggs and oil. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Mix well and pour into greased muffin cups, or use paper liners and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Bon appetit!

*******
Here's a little more bayou boogie, from the Festival Acadiens ,on Saturday, that I uploaded to You Tube. I'd like to dedicate this song to my dear friend, Janine, over at Sniffles and Smiles, who had surgery today. Please visit her wonderful blog and keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Nathan and the Zydeco Cha Chas were rockin' this crowd before the dance area became mud. Hot! Enjoy!!

Nathan and the Zydeco Cha Chas

14 comments:

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I just bought a new package of corn meal. Not something I usually have on hand. Perhaps your post and my purchase have something in common that I shouldn't ignore.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I like your tweaks, this is a fantastic recipe. Thanks.

John said...

Saw the video, looks like all kinds of folks get up for a dance.

judi/Gmj said...

Now I know Whats for dinner.

Joanne said...

Those cornbread muffins look divine ...

Kat said...

My kids were the same way! I love cornbread with my Bean soup and Ham! My in laws could make the best cornbread, and I lack that southern quality. But, I am getting better at it!

Marguerite said...

Cloudia- Thanks for stopping by! Aloha, cher!

Midlife- Sounds like it was meant to be! Enjoy!

Elizabeth- Thanks, hope you enjoy them, cher. You're welcome!

John- Yes, there were people from all over the U.S., France, England, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Amsterdam, etc. The music just makes you want to dance!

Mandy said...

Mmmm, yum! Wish I had an oven to bake those in right now.... oh well, I am enjoying the free cocktails at our hotel each evening. Now all it needs is some live Cajun or Jazz music....

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Love the bread... And just signed my wife and I up for Cajun dance lessons... 4 days and I'll be Boogien in the Bayou!!!

Unknown said...

My Hard Working Man is gonna love this recipe!!! I will be making these sometime this weekend. I am so glad you share with your recipes!

Nancy said...

Love this recipe. I think it will go great with a meal I'm fixing this weekend.

Marguerite said...

Judi- Thanks and so glad you like the recipe. Enjoy!

Joanne- Merci for the sweet compliment and thanks for stopping by!

Kat- I love cornbread, with anything! It might be the buttermilk that gives it that Southern flavor.

Mandy- Thanks so much, cher! Sounds like you're having fun! Plug in a Cajun cd!

K. said...

The secret trick of mothers everywhere: Make it look like a cupcake!

Marguerite said...

K- Exactly! So good to see you, cher! Thanks for stopping by!