Friday, December 17, 2010

Cajun Holiday Desserts + More Bayou Boogie

With Christmas only one week away, I am putting the finishing touches on my my dessert menu and in addition to serving some of my family's faves, I will also be making this sinfully rich and decadent Christmas bread pudding. The combination of the cranberries, white chocolate, and brandy, will send your taste buds into orbit, and have your guests begging for more! . Out of this world, cher! Enjoy!  

Christmas Bread Pudding w/ Nanny's Rum Sauce


1 (16 oz). loaf French bread,  torn into small pieces
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup sugar
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbs.'s brandy
Dash of salt
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
8 large eggs

Tear bread into small pieces in large bowl. Pour melted butter over bread pieces and toss to coat. In large saucepan, combine cream, milk ,sugar, vanilla, brandy, salt, and nutmeg. bring to a simmer, over medium heat, and stir until sugar is dissolved, and remove from heat. Whisk eggs until smooth in large bowl. Slowly add the hot milk mixture to eggs, whisking constantly. Fold in the cranberries and white chocolate chips. Pour the custard mixture over the bread and let stand for 15 minutes. Pour into a 13x9 inch greased baking pan and place in a larger pan, with enough water to reach halfway up the sides. Bake in a 325 degree preheated oven for 60 minutes, covering with foil, after 30 minutes. Serve with Nanny's Rum Sauce. (recipe below)

Nanny's Rum Sauce
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbs.'s flour
1 stick butter
2 tbs.'s dark rum

Combine flour, water, sugar, and butter in sauce pan. Heat on low and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and add vanilla and rum. Mix well and serve over bread pudding.

*********
Here are a few of my family's favorites that will be on my dessert table, along with an assortment of muffins, fudge, cookies, and candies. Cest bon, cher! Bon appetit!

CLICK ON TITLES TO VIEW RECIPES








*********
More Bayou Boogie
I've had a special request for another Horace Trahan clip, taken recently at the Sunday afternoon dance at Whiskey River, in Henderson, La. This one's for you, cher, and all of my other canaille, "honorary Cajun" buds. Wish you were here! Enjoy!


Wishing ya'll a fun and fabulous weekend! Merci beaucoup for stopping by!

24 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

Oh my goodness! That bread pudding looks so good...

Eddie Bluelights said...

Laughed my butt off! - thanks LOL
And what a fabulous meal you are going to serve - lucky blighters!! . . . and your lovely company too . . . the perfect day. Enjoy the hols ~ hugs Eddie

Linda Starr said...

love bread pudding, just need to find some gluten free bread I can order, too busy to make any. I am hungry and in heaven looking at your site again.

Joanne said...

Yum - o - Rama! Need I say more?

Laura said...

I don't know what to say anymore because as usual everything looks delicious-
However,
I am going to repeat myself-
1. You need to do a cookbook.
2. It can be titled
How to Become an Honorary Cajun
and
3. Can I be an honorary cajun?

OohOoh! You need an Honorary Cajun blog button!

Your Texas friend,
Laura
White Spray Paint

Eddie Bluelights said...

Laura - get in the queue LOL ~ Eddie

Drick said...

now I got a sugar rush and maybe just a bit tipsy just looking at all these wonderful desserts - that has got to be the best holiday bread pudding I have seen, the sauce makes it over the top....

Rosaria Williams said...

Marguerite, at what time is the buffet again? I'm ready to eat and boogie the night away. What's the expression? Let the good times roll?

You're the hostess with the mostest!

Happy Holidays.

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Wow. If I ate everything on your blog, I would weigh 900 pounds. But it might just be worth it!

cookingwithgas said...

be still my heart.......

Marguerite said...

Pat- Thanks, it is, and I hope that you try it! Merci for coming by! Happy Holidays!

Eddie- lol So glad you liked it, cher! Merci beaucoup for your sweet compliment! Hope your holidays are fab!

Linda- Thanks,the bread pudding is so yummy and I hope that you give it a try! Have a great weekend!

Joanne- Thanks, cher! That about covers it! :) Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Laura- Thanks for your sweet comment! You are definitely an "Honorary Cajun" and a button is a great idea! I'll work on it, along with the cookbook. Have a very Merry Christmas!

Eddie- LOL You are so canaille, yeah, cher!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

The bread pudding with cranberries and those yummy brownies have me sooooo craving something SWEET! Love your blog, so I’m going to follow along. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

Blessings,
Linda

kitchen flavours said...

Your bread pudding looks so yummy. Wow, brandy and rum sauce, this is fabulous! Your desserts are all so wonderful! Think I'll catch a plane over to join you in the feast and boogie away! He! He! Have fun in your Christmas preparation!

Marguerite said...

Drick- Merci beaucoup for your "sweet" comment, cher! The bread puddin' and the sauce are divine and I hope that you give them a try. They won't disappoint! Happy Holidays!

Rosaria- Thanks for the lovely compliment, cher! The buffet begins at 7:00 pm on Christmas Eve, with cocktails and appetizers at 5:30 pm. Hope you can make it!

Trish- lol- Not if you ate small portions and danced afterwards! :) Happy Holidays!

cwg- Thanks, so glad you like them! Have a Merry Christmas!

Vincent- Hi and welcome! Thanks so much for the nice compliments and for the invitation. I'll be over soon!

Linda- Hi and welcome to Cajun country! So glad that you like my recipes and hope that you try them. Thanks for stopping by and for following! Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas, too!

kf- Merci beaucoup for your lovely comment! I wish that you could and would! Happy Holidays! Cheers!

Eddie Bluelights said...

So glad I am an honorary Cajun. Just filled a glass of wine to celebrate - Cheers and good health and bon appetite! Still smiling at the video clip ~ hugs ~ Eddie

Hey it's -8 degrees C and I have just returned from Cardiff in Wales and the roads were dreadful - just like a skating rink in places. Got back safely. I am very jealous of your weather.

Jules said...

Oh wowza you have a very yummy blog. I wish I could stick a spoon through my screen and sample away! jules

Mary Bergfeld said...

Everything - and I mean everything - looks delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Martha said...

What time should I be there? YUMMY!!!

Kathryn Magendie said...

I so wish I liked bread pudding! I want to and GMR makes really great bread pudding, but it's that soggy bread thing I've had since a child. Dang it! But that bread pudding sure looks good - going to send GMR over here to look at your blog and recipes! MMMMMMMM!

tinyskillet said...

Everything looks awesome! That is some festive dessert table, you made enough to fill the table, no need for anything else! Thanks for linking to Tailgating Time!

Cloudia said...

Aloha from Hawaii, Cher

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


<°)}}><

Velva said...

You are absolutely killing me in the best possible way-Gosh, this looks fabulous. the bread pudding? It leaves me speechless.

Merry Christmas.

Velva

Anonymous said...

Another great post. Happy holidays.

Magic of Spice said...

What a wonderful line up of sweets...
Hope you had an amazing Christmas!