Thursday, December 30, 2010

Cajun New Year's Brunch Buffet + New Year's Boogie !

With 2010 coming to an end, I am planning on hosting a New Year's Day brunch buffet for my family and friends. It will be quite a spread and packed with delectable Cajun and Creole favorites, with plenty of black eye peas for good luck, and Bloody Mary's for those still feeling the effects of their New Year's Eve celebration. Bon Appetit and Happy New Year! 

(click on titles to view recipes)





 ******
And if you're wondering what to do with that ham bone in the freezer from Christmas dinner, here's a way to use it for your New Year's celebration. Cajun tradition has it that if you eat black eyed peas and cabbage on New Year's Day, you will have good luck all year! Here's an easy, delicious recipe for slow cooker black-eyed peas that will have you adding this fabulous dish to your table at any time of year! Le bon manger'!

Slow Cooker "Good Luck" Black-Eyed Peas

1 pound dried black-eyed peas
1 tbs. vegetable oil
1 large red onion, chopped
1/2 cup each, red and green bell peppers, and celery
2 tsp.'s minced garlic
1 can diced Ro-tel tomatoes w/ green chilies
1 quart water, (more, if needed)
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. Cajun seasoning
Few good shakes Tabasco
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. yellow mustard
1 cup ham, chopped
1 ham bone, (with some meat left on)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup green onions, tops included, sliced

Saute the onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic, in the vegetable oil, until soft. (about 10 minutes) Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, except the parsley and green onions, and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low, for 7 to 8 hours. Remove ham bone and add the parsley and green onions in the last 30 minutes, stir well, and maybe add a little more hot sauce. Cest bon, cher!

******
New Year's Bayou Boogie

Back by popular demand, here's a little clip of Andre Thierry and Zydeco Magic that will get you in party mode to ring in the new year! A little Zydeco for those of you who may be snowed in or otherwise can't get out to celebrate. Grab a glass of champagne and crank it up cher, and let the good times roll! Out with the old and in with the new!



Wishing you all a very happy, healthy, and prosperous new year, filled with good times!
Merci beaucoup for coming by and for all of your lovely comments!

  Happy 2011, Ya'll! Lassiez les bon temps rouler, cher! 
 Cheers mon amis!

29 comments:

Bo said...

This sounds like a great spread. Happy New Years!

PS We are almost neighbors...I'm in Alabama.

ellen abbott said...

drooling, here.

Pooch Purple Reign said...

so do you just put the cabbage on the side ...? like maybe boiled?
fantastic list of food... wow
have too much fun
~laura xx

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Drooling, for sure. But at least I ate first before dropping by!

Best of 2011 to you!

kitchen flavours said...

Wish I could your New Year buffet! Here's to a great 2011! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

nanny said...

Girl I would pay good money to eat your buffet!!! How many people are coming? I know they are looking forward to your spread!
I'm going to scrap up a ham bone and make this black eyed pea recipe!!!!

Rosaria Williams said...

Oh Yummm! I'm full just thinking about all these gorgeous choices.Happy New Year to you, Marguerite! May you get as much joy as you dish out!

Eddie Bluelights said...

Crumbs!! Marguerite!!! More glorious food!! I haven't digested the last lot yet LOL. I've been asleep all afternoon!! . . . . just popped round and I see another wonerful selection of 'nosh'. You are very prodigious. I will try to get up and do a New Year's Boogie but I must fast and lose a few pounds LOL.
Have a fabulous Happy New Year, Marguerite ~ Hugs. Eddie

Dee said...

You're killin' me girl lol! I can't wait to get there next month...just for a GOOD bloody mary! Yummy! Happy New Year cher'!

John said...

One hell of a buffet; have a good New Year and a great 2011 - no more spills.

Mehmet Osman Çağlar said...

A Happy New Year. Mon ami! Cheer!
Hugs, Zhivago

Pam said...

Marguerite, what a feast! I'm slobbering all over the place and top it off with Southern Mimosa's. Yum!!! Here's wishing you and yours the best in the coming year! Bonne Anne Cher!

Nancy said...

What a spread! I think you need your own cooking show, Marguerite. Happy New Year to you and yours!

Pooch Purple Reign said...

i got it! found the cabbage recipe.
i making the black eyed peas for tomorrow.
cheers
~laura xx

Arlee Bird said...

Sounds like another great spread on your buffet table. I'm sure a good time was had by all.
I passed through Lafayette at lunchtime on New Year's Eve and had a quick meal at Prejean's. My wife was afraid they would put alligator in the food so she opted for baked potato and a salad and I could not persuade her otherwise.
At least I had my oyster Po'boy (delicious) and some spicy gumbo with duck and andouille sausage.

Happy New Year!

Lee

Boozy Tooth said...

Hello Marguerite my beautiful Cajun friend. I'm back to blogging (well, a little anyway) and wanted you to know you are one of the few blogs on my new blog roll. You are a favorite and I love you so much. And have missed you! Please swing by http://boozytooth.blogspot.com sometime and say hello!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I've got my peas and greens on~ here's to luck and a little greenback in the New Year!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Happy New Year! - Just made my cornbread - GMR's preparing black eyed pea fritters! and we're sauteeing the cabbage -- :-D

GYPSYWOMAN said...

wishin' you and yours a new year filled with delicious food and drink and then, there's all that music and dancin'!!! wishing you all of that and even more peace love and light!!!

Velva said...

Wishing you and your family a safe, happy New Year.

Your food spread for new Year's brunch is awesome. I do have a ham bone in my freezer and dry black eye peas. I think I will make your recipe. Growing-up, making black eye peas for New Year's was unheard of and now, I am feeling like I am missing out on something really good.

Cheers.
Velva

Kat said...

I am looking forward to another year of Cajun music and food! Oh, how I wish I were your neighbor!! You can cook, and like someone else said, you should have your own cooking show. I hope your new year is the best yet. Love.

Drick said...

another fine menu, your friends sure are lucky, why they really don't need the peas now do they.... always have them on New Year's day along with greens for prosperity and rice for success and so on - oh, all the things we do to ensure a good year - best wishes to the start of 2011

California Girl said...

Happy New Year Marguerite. I bet it was a blast in the bayou!!

Velva said...

I am checking back in with you to let you know that I made your slow cooker black-eyed peas, Cajun style. They were awesome! Thanks for another great recipe.

Velva

Shammickite said...

Happy New Year to you and your family Marguerite, your new Year's buffet looks scruptious, wish i could be there to enjoy it with you and your friends!

T. said...

I didn't make black-eyed peas, but I did make gumbo, a recipe gleaned from your treasure trove of Southern recipes on your sidebar!

One question: how big is your kitchen staff??!!!

Marguerite said...

SBo- Hi and welcome to Cajun country! I'm delighted that you stopped by! Merci beaucoup and a Happy New Years to you, too, cher! Cheers!

ellen- Thanks, one of these days, you'll just have to drive over here and join us! Happy 2011! Merci for stopping by!

Pooch- Sorry I am so late in answering your question. I see from your other comment that you found it! Thanks for trying it! Hope you have a great New Year, cher!

Trish- Thanks, glad you liked the spread! It's always a good idea to eat first! lol Happy 2011! Should be a great year!

kf- Wish that you could have been here, too! It was quite a feast! Thanks, hope you have a very Happy New Year, too! Cheers!

nanny- Merci for your sweet comment! There were 26 in all and many guests brought a dish, so I didn't cook it all! Thanks for trying the black eyed peas! Happy New Year, cher!

Magic of Spice said...

Marguerite what an amazing menu...and I so love this song and video. Please do a facebook so I can share this music and these recipes from you.
My family is 1/2 Creole so I am hoping you will semi adopt me :)

Magic of Spice said...

P.S. your black-eyed pea recipe...
Delightful is putting it mildly!