Thursday, March 1, 2012

Creole Bread Pudding w/ Bourbon Sauce + A Cajun Waltz

With guests coming for the weekend, I wanted to make a special dessert to give them a little taste of Cajun decadence, at it's best. Here's a delightful recipe that my mother used to make on special occasions,  when I was growing up. It's absolutely decadent, and is a perfect ending to a good meal or just when you're in the mood for a little something sweet. Sinfully good! Bon appetit!

Creole Bread Pudding w/ Bourbon Sauce

1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup of raisins
1/4 cup of bourbon
1 large loaf of "day old " French bread

2 cups half and half or whole milk
6 0z. butter, melted

4 large eggs
1 large can evaporated milk
3 tsp.'s vanilla extract
1  cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar or cane sugar
2 tsp.'s cinnamon

Place the pineapple and raisins in a bowl, add the bourbon, mix well, and set aside to marinate. 


Break up the French bread in a large bowl and pour half and half or milk over and blend gently. Let stand for 1 hour, then drain excess milk.

Drain the bourbon from the fruit and reserve. Add the fruit mixture to the bread, along with the melted butter, and cinnamon. 

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the evaporated milk, vanilla, and the sugars, and pour over bread mixture. Whisk gently, until blended.

Transfer mixture into a buttered 9x13 inch baking dish, placed in a larger baking pan filled with 2 inches of water. Bake @ 350 degrees for 20 minutes .

Remove and stir well. Spread the pudding evenly and bake for about 40 more minutes.



Bourbon Sauce

2 cups sugar
8 ounces butter
2 large eggs
Shot of bourbon
Reserved marinade

 



Combine the sugar and butter in a double boiler, on low heat.  Beat the eggs, add to the pan and whisk rapidly until thick. Remove pan from the heat and allow to cool, then stir in the bourbon. Heat and pour over pudding before serving.

I'll be sharing this at

*******
A Cajun Waltz

Spring has sprung here in Cajun country,  (80 glorious degrees, today),  and we're revving up for another fabulous season of great Cajun festivals, that will include plenty of great Cajun and Creole food, music, and dancing. Here's a little clip that I took at the Festival Acadiens of the crowd enjoying a Cajun waltz. Let the good times roll, cher!







*******
I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all of my new followers and many thanks for following. Hope that you will enjoy the recipes and music. Please leave a comment so that I can follow you back. Wishing all of you a wonderful, fun weekend! Merci beaucoup for stopping by!

Looking For Cajun Products? Look No Further : Cajun Supermarket

16 comments:

The Harried Cook said...

Yum! This looks and sounds heavenly! Thank you for this recipe... I am sure my husband would be delighted with this recipe... :)

A Kitchen Witch said...

Ahh, comfort. Now, do you deliver?
; )

kitchen flavours said...

Wow! Bourbon sauce says it all, Yum!!

Linda Starr said...

Gary and I used to live the mountains near Mt. Shasta and there was a little cafe where I first had bread pudding, I can taste it now, but your's with the bourbon sauce I am sure is a hundred times better.

ellen abbott said...

I think I gained a couple of pounds just reading that recipe! And I've been missing those cajun clips.

hidden art of homemaking said...

yum yum....this certainly looks good as all of your food does....I hope your Daddy is doing good...I think of you often..always a pleasure to see a new post on your blog...Happy Spring!!

Mona

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I already fell in love with your recipe for bread pudding with the caramel sauce, and now you come up with another with bourbon and pineapple?? Yipes! Are you trying to make me fat, woman? HA! (Thank you. Your recipes rock.)

Gypsy Heart said...

Oh my word! I so wish I had this right now with my coffee. Everything you make is to die for, cher.

Thanks so much for sharing! Hope you're having an awesome weekend ~

xo
Pat

Vagabonde said...

You are right – this dessert looks decadent… in French it is the same word – décadent. I would sure like to try a piece. I have been looking at your last few posts with your delicious dishes – miam miam as we say. We are going to New Orleans next month and I can’t wait to eat some good food!

AvaNemitz said...

Yummy! Wanna try it today, so excited to know how it tastes. Hope to do it right :)

Best Cornbread

Bakery online shop said...

I am a foodie and especially love Bakery food's I would LOVE to try these out!

Michelle B said...

Whoa! Talk about lucky friends! Thanks for linking.

Honey at 2805 said...

Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday! I always appreciate your participation!

Miriam said...

That bread pudding looks heavenly!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Magic of Spice said...

I simply adore Bourbon sauce...what a delightful bread pudding, seriously delicious!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Marguerite,
I sure enjoyed that Waltz,it sure will get me going for Spring. I just love your Creole Bread Pudding and the Bourbon Sauce is a winner! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Happy St. Patrick's Day and Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen