Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cajun Christmas Dinner Menu


With Christmas right around the corner, I have been tweaking my menu and adding a few more of my family's faves to my Christmas dinner menu. I'll be serving a few new dishes and of course, some of the recipes handed down from my dear mother, grandmother, and aunts.


Cajun Christmas Dinner Menu

Cajun Roasted Turkey Breast (recipe below) 
Cajun Baked Ham w/ Sugarcane Bourbon Glaze

Cajun Oyster Stuffing ~ Jalapeno Cornbread Dressing ~ Spicy Crock Pot Jambalaya

Nanny's Praline-Sweet Potatoes ~ Loaded Baked Potato Casserole ~ Cajun Corn Casserole  Cajun String Bean Casserole

Jalapeno Cranberry Sauce (recipe below)

Grandma's Buttermilk Biscuits ~ Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins  ~ Cranberry-Pecan Muffins
^^^^^^^
Cajun Roasted Turkey Breast

1 large turkey breast (7 to 8 lbs.)
1 large onion, coarsly chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 stalks celery,  cut into thirds
2 tsp.'s minced garlic
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbs.'s Cajun seasoning
2 tsp.'s dried sage
2 tsp.'s dried thyme
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 stick butter, sliced

Rinse breast with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Rub breast and cavity with Cajun seasoning, sage, and thyme. Stuff cavity with onions, garlic, celery,  parsley, and butter slices. Drizzle olive oil over entire breast. Place a 6 inch strip of heavy duty foil, horizontally, in center of rack,  of a large roasting pan. Pour water and wine into bottom of pan and add more water occasionally.


Place breast on foil, cavity side down and bake in a 325 degree oven for 20 minutes per pound or until a meat thermometer reaches 170 degrees. Baste often. Remove veggies from cavity and discard and transfer turkey to a platter. Let rest for 15 minutes before carving.  Scrumptious!
^^^^^^^
Jalapeno Cranberry Sauce

12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 to 3  jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
2 tsp.'s lemon juice
1/2 cup sherry

Rinse berries in cold water and drain. On medium heat, cook water and sugar in saucepan, until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and add cranberries, jalapenos, and lemon juice and return to a boil.


Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. And sherry and stir well. Remove from heat and cool completely at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.


I'll be sharing these at ~

Wishing you all a fabulous holiday week! Merci beaucoup for stopping by!

24 comments:

Joanne said...

That's one of the best parts of the holiday, lingering around the table over a delicious meal. Enjoy your preparations!

Rosaria Williams said...

All jummy and delicious!
Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Kat said...

Merry Christmas, Marguerite! I will be doing the burbon glaze on my ham and I am going to try that Loaded baked potato casserole too. Thanks so much for your wonderful blog.

Big Dude said...

Looks a feast will be had.

the wild magnolia said...

Ohohoh, what deliciousness do we have here. Yum. Fa la la la la.........shazam.

Thanks.

Merry Christmas.

Linda Starr said...

Your table looks wonderful with all that red and never knew about sherry in cranberries, what a good idea to bring out the flavor. Happy Holidays to you.

Eddie Bluelights said...

It looks absolutely delicious - love the classy table laying and your blog header is really great.

Have a great Christmas, Maguerite ~ Eddie

nanny said...

Your menu sounds wonderful.....
I'm making a ham recipe similar to yours (my first time, but comes highly recommended)

I hope your holidays are perfect....company coming tomorrow (2 years old, can't wait)

Be back soon!

hidden art of homemaking said...

Marguerite, it looks just beautiful..I love your header..so festive and Merry Christmasy..I find myself looking around your blog to find something good to cook.....I hope your Christmas is especially merry..

Mona

A Kitchen Witch said...

Mmm, serve me up a plate.

Michelle B said...

You've done it again! Another homerun feast. I love the idea of jalapenos in the cranberry sauce.
Joyeux Noel to you and yours.

Drick said...

you always serve an award winning dinner no matter the occasion and this Christmas will not be an exception... sounds like one I would love to share, not inviting myself mind you... you know, I'm only a few hours away... seriously now, beautiful, tasty foods from a most gracious southern host, one that will be the highlight of everyone dining at your table... I wish you the best and may you be blessed this season and may all your Christmas wishes come true... God bless you Marguerite, and Merry Christmas to you and yours..

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

Wish I was coming to your house for dinner! :) Loaded baked potato casserole sounds yummy. Please post a recipe!

Marguerite said...

Joanne- You are so right about that! Thanks, I've been preparing for a while, now. :) Have a Merry Christmas!

rosaria- Merci for the nice compliment, cher! Happy Holidays to you and your family, too!

Kat- Merry Christmas to you and yours, too! That glaze is awesome and I'm so glad that you like it! Also glad you want to try the potato casserole. It won't disappoint! :) You're welcome, and thanks so much for reading it!

Dude- Yep, it's going to be a good one! I just love cooking holiday meals and it's a great excuse to splurge and spoil my family. Merry Christmas to you and Bev!

wm- Thanks so much for your sweet comment! So glad you like everything. You're welcome and Merry Christmas to you, too!

Linda- Thanks for the nice compliments, cher! The cranberry sauce is "out of this world" and the sherry adds a special touch. Happy Holidays to you and Gary!

Miz Helen said...

Marguerite,
Your Cajun Christmas Dinner looks like a feast for the King, it is wonderful and I wish it was all sitting in front of me right now. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen

Magic of Spice said...

What a perfect menu...that turkey breast looks flawless!
Happy Holidays my wonderful friend, wishing you all of the joys the Season can bring.

California Girl said...

Marguerite, I love your beautiful Christmassy masthead. I'm going to make the praline cheese cake.

Merry Christmas!

Gypsy Heart said...

Can I please come live with you? I cannot imagine all this incredible food and me not being there! :-)

Everything sounds absolutely fabulous. I know it's going to be!

Wishing you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas and all good things for the new year, cher.

xo
Pat

Gypsy Heart said...

Can I please come live with you? I cannot imagine all this incredible food and me not being there! :-)

Everything sounds absolutely fabulous. I know it's going to be!

Wishing you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas and all good things for the new year, cher.

xo
Pat

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
I also need to come live with you.
Looks so Yummy for Christmas dinner.
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my new Tablescape you are so sweet.
XXOO Diane

Pam said...

What a feast! Just wondering if there's an empty seat at your table as I'd love to sit in on this affair. Here's wishing you and your loved ones a Blessed Very Merry Christmas!

kitchen flavours said...

Beautiful and delicious feast!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Southern Fried Gal said...

Wow - I wish you lived down the street - we would crash your Christmas dinner. Everything sounds delicious! Merry Christmas!

icedgurl said...

trekking your amazing blog! keep blogging! happy holidays!

cheers!
...TREK...