Thursday, January 14, 2010

Got My Red Beans Cookin' + Cajun Boogie !

Here's a family favorite that is just perfect for those cold winter days. Traditionally, red beans and rice is a dish made on Mondays, to make good use of the ham bone and any leftover ham, from Sunday dinner, in New Orleans. I have added some Andouille sausage, as well, which gives it a nice smoky flavor. Cest bon, cher! Bon Appetit!


 

Marguerite's Red Beans and Rice

1 (1 lb.) pkg. red kidney beans (I use Camellia brand)
1 ham bone w/ portion of ham meat on bone (optional, but desired)
1 lb. smoked hot sausage, sliced, browned, and drained
1 cup each of chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. Cajun Injector brand "Hickory Grill" seasoning
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. thyme
Salt and hot sauce to taste
1/2 cup chopped green onions

Rinse and sort beans and place in large Dutch oven. Cover with water plus two inches. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour. In a large skillet, brown sausage, drain and set aside. Add the ham bone and all other ingredients, except cooked sausage. Stir well and cook on low for 2 hours. Remove ham bone and stir, and add the cooked sausage, and hot sauce and continue cooking for 1/2 hour more hour or until a bean gravy forms. Serve over hot cooked rice with French bread. Garnish with green onions. Enjoy!
Bon Appetit!

*******
I've had a few requests for a little Cajun boogie. Here's a clip of Fred's Lounge, in Mamou, Louisiana, on a Saturday morning. The band starts at 8:30 am and plays till noon! Enjoy! Let the good times roll, cher! Merci beaucoup for coming by!

19 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I am making my first ever Red Beans and Rice dish this weekend... Already picked (and shopped for) my recipe... wish i had waited, this sounds perfect!

Kat said...

I made me a pot of beans from my Thanksgiving ham bone this week and have been enjoying it all week!
Not a huge fan of rice, so I just eat it alone! (I know, lots of cajun dishes are rice, but I don't hate rice, just not a bitg fan.)
I will try the sausage next time. I usually just put the generously meated ham bone.

John said...

Nice to see that our English Worcestershire sauce makes it into a Cajun recipe.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Sounds perfect for my house today. Rainy and cold.

Nancy said...

I'm going to make the red beans and rice this weekend. I've heard we may get 10 feet of snow over the new few days.

Velva said...

I have bookmarked this recipe for red beans. Awesome!!!

Sugar Creek Beads said...

Love me some red beans and rice but have never made them with sausage. Sounds fantastic. I'm also crazy about dirty rice maybe you could share your recipe some day for that.Merci beaucoup,cher! Jeanne

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I love the trusty crock pot, and this recipe sounds like another winner. Thanks Sweetie, have a terrific weekend. (I know you will.)

Debbie said...

Yum! That looks great and I do love using my crockpot. Doesn't get any easier than that.

Joanna Jenkins said...

I've never made red beans and rice before but this is VERY tempting! I'm copying this one for my recipe file and adding it to my grocery list.

THANKS!

xo

Fragrant Liar said...

Holy frijoles, that makes me hungry!

Great little video clip on the cajun music. Got a little more jig in my step now.

Marguerite said...

Dave- Thanks, I can't wait to see your Red Beans and Rice post! Once you make it, you'll be hooked for life!

Kat- I'm sure that your beans were very good, but I can't imagine eating red beans without rice! Just a Cajun thing! Hope you try it with sausage, it gives it a nice flavor.

John- Worcestershire sauce is in almost every Cajun recipe! We love it! Adds a little umph to everything, especially meat!

Midlife- Hope you try this easy Red Beans and Rice recipe! Perfect for rainy, cold days! Thanks for stopping by, cher!

Nancy- Thanks, so glad that you want to try it! Ten feet of snow!!! I cannot even imagine that! Stay warm, cher!

Velva- Thanks so much for the lovely compliment and for coming by! Try it, you'll love it!

Jeanne- Merci beaucoup, it's my pleasure to share it with you! I will be posting the Dirty Rice recipe, soon. Happy Mardi Gras!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Ohh, red beans and rice - I was thinking about those today - although I don't put the sausage (or sometimes turkey sausage)...

With a big arse slab of cornbread!

ohhhhh

Rosaria Williams said...

Sounds delish. REady with my version, with some modifications, lacking the various seasonings you can access easily. One of these days, you'll have to add a recipe for bignets, Marguerite, as I'm dying to have me a great breakfast treat even here in the wet and cool Northwest.

Unknown said...

As always looks great to me!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, would love to have you come and visit Franklin and have you blog about it. We have the Bear Festival coming up in April.

Debbie

Marguerite said...

Elizabeth- The trusty crockpot is right! Life, simplified! Thanks, glad you liked the recipe, cher!

Debbie- Thanks, so do I! I also like the way the beans turn out, in the crockpot. Perfect! Merci for coming by!

Cloudia- Aloha, Galpal! Camasava? Thank for visiting, mon amie!

Joanna- You're in for a real treat! Glad you want to try it. One bite and you'll be hooked for life! My pleasure, cher!

Fragrant Liar- Bonjour and welcome to Cajun Country! Thanks so much for stopping by and for the nice compliment! So glad that you enjoyed the video!

Marguerite said...

Kathryn- So good to see you, cher! Oh yes, definitely with cornbread! Cest bon! I love the vegetarian version, too. Merci for coming by!

lakeviewer- Thanks, so glad you like the recipe! A few extra shakes of hot sauce should do it! Your wish is my command, cher!

Debbie- Thanks, cher, it's my pleasure! I would love to go and stay in that fabulous bed and breakfast that you posted about.
Merci beaucoup for joining my site!

Vagabonde said...

That Fred Lounge in Mamou! We stopped there a few years ago a Saturday morning. I had just come back from visiting family in France. They asked where people came from and they said they would give a gift (sauce, beans, etc.) to the person who came from the place the most far away. I said I just came from Paris, France and I won the prize! I wish I was taking pictures then, but I may have some on film.

sanjeet said...

Already picked (and shopped for) my recipe... wish i had waited, this sounds perfect!
How to make a website