Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mardi Gras Around Lafayette - Part I

Everyone has heard of the world famous Mardi Gras in New Orleans, but Lafayette has the second biggest celebration in Louisiana, and is second to none, when it comes to throwing this party of all parties!

We are quite a bit more family oriented and have very little crime, when over 300,000 visitors descend on Cajun Country! It's a shindig that you'll never forget and is so much fun!!!

It's a magical time of year when we get to go to fancy balls, wear outrageous costumes, listen to and dance to great music, go to fantastic parades and catch lots of beads, and eat lots of fabulous food! Lafayette rolls out the red carpet for visitors from around the world and does so in a style that is uniquely "Lafayette". Good old Cajun hospitality, at it's best.









 









"Le Festival de Mardi Gras des Lafayette" is held at Cajun Field and has 2 music stages, with many great Cajun and Zydeco bands playing, throughout Mardi Gras, a giant amusement park, and is at the tail end of all big parades. Many floats hold off on throwing huge batches of beads until the end, so this can also be a great spot to catch beads, too. The Bayou Boys were rockin' the crowd, last year, on Mardi Gras Day! A bon ton, cher!

Then, there is the Krewe des Chiens parade in Downtown Lafayette. That's right, a doggie parade that is very popular and so much fun! Last year, my favorite entry was this cute wagon with "Daisy and Angel", dressed in their Mardi Gras finery. And loved this doggie float, too! (click to enlarge)
Then, on Fat Tuesday, there are three parades and the beads are really flying at these. Here's a little clip from The 2009' Independent Parade. Let the good times roll, cher! For a complete Lafayette Mardi Gras schedule, click here. Merci beaucoup for stopping by!



16 comments:

judi/Gmj said...

Funtastic times!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Lafayette looks like it knows how to throw a party! What fun! Thanks for sharing the great photos!

xo

John said...

Listened to the clip, boy, you guys are noisy when you get going. Have a good weekend.

Joanne said...

Wow, those floats are just beautiful, a work of art in themselves!

ellen abbott said...

When I was growing up, my parents had friends who lived in New Orleans. the husband, Jack Cooley, was an artist and had his studio in the French Quarter, right across from Pat O'Brians. We went 4 or 5 times. The last time I was 18. This was back when they still had parades in the Quarter and Flamboes for the night parades and the beads were glass from Czechoslavakia, not the cheap tri-colored plastic things they throw now. They were gorgeous and worth getting but you absolutely did not want to get hit in the head with some.

Carol Murdock said...

Hey Sweetie! I'm playing catch up and now I'm hungry as a Grizzley just out of hibernation!! :)
Muffaletta's, Crab bisque? Can I substitute Lobster for the Crab?
When you get through with Mardi Gras, come up here and rest in the GWTW Room !!! xoxo

Boozy Tooth said...

Thanks for the tip on Lafayette! I didn't know they also had big Mardi Gras doings.

And oh that muffaletta! Be still my heart.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I love it. Especially the doggie parade. Enjoy!

Marguerite said...

Judi- Perfect description! I love that word. Thanks for coming by!

Joanna- Thanks for the nice compliment! Lafayette is the party capital of Cajun Country, for sure! You're welcome, my pleasure.

John- We do get carried away at parades! Just wait until the Saints win the Super Bowl, then you will hear us from there! Thanks, I hope that you do too!

Joanne- Merci beaucoup for the nice compliment. So much work goes into them that they truly are works of art. Fun to ride on, too!

Ellen- Those were the days! I went to a few of those growing up, too. We were probably there at the same time! lol If you got hit with the glass beads, it would have hurt, for sure! Thanks for stopping by!

Velva said...

I feel like I am really missing out on something special. The floats are really amazing.

Vagabonde said...

That Mardi Gras in Lafayette really sounds like a super party! And I know you are a party girl – so have a great time – wish I was there too.

Marguerite said...

Carol- Merci beaucoup, cher, for the lovely offer! I may just take you up on it! And yes, Lobster would work just as well, with the bisque! Enjoy!

Alix- You're quite welcome! Lafayette's Mardi Gras is huge and every bit as much fun as the Big Easy! And our Muffalettas are just as good, too! Of course, I am a bit biased! lol

Elizabeth- I love the doggie parade, too! And the proceeds from this Krewe go to the local animal shelters, so that's a real bonus!

Velva- Thanks, the floats really are a labor of love and are worked on, all year! You should try to make it, you're not that far away!

Vagabonde- Lafayette's Mardi Gras is a blast! I know that you would love it! Merci, wish you were here, too, cher! Thanks for stopping by!

Cloudia said...

I'd love to come to the party, Cher!

California Girl said...

when I was young, early teens I guess, my mother turned me on to the author Francis Parkinson Keys (sp?). She wrote a number of famous novels about Mardi Gras, the King & Queen, etc. I have wanted to see Mardi Gras ever since. While I've visited NO four times, I've not been for the event.

Are you familiar with this writer?

Marguerite said...

Cal. Girl- I regret that I am not familiar with this author, but will seek her out. Thanks for the tip! And you simply MUST come for Mardi Gras, sometime, it's an experience that you would always remember!

sanjeet said...

What fun! Thanks for sharing the great photos!

Make website india