Monday, June 1, 2009

Cajun Stuffed Bell Peppers

It's that wonderful time of year again, when the local summer produce is ready and available in abundance. I went to my favorite fresh market today and got a little carried away with the fruits and veggies. Fresh local Louisiana strawberries, cantaloupes, watermelon, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, peppers, and the list goes on. I like to have all of these on hand during the summer months and to be able to whip up a fruit or vegetable salad or recipe, on a moments notice. One recipe that I especially love to cook and eat is stuffed bell peppers. Sometimes I stuff them with seafood and sometimes with meat or rice. Great as a side dish or as an entree with fried green tomatoes and corn on the cob. Cest bon, cher!

Cajun Stuffed Bell Peppers


6 whole bell peppers, ( red, green, or yellow)
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup each, onions, bell peppers, and celery, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 tsp.'s minced garlic
1 can cream of mushroom soup, plus 1/2 soup can water
2 tbs.'s Worcestershire sauce
2 cups cooked rice
2 tsp.'s Cajun seasoning
Salt and Tabasco to taste
1/2 cup of buttered breadcrumbs


Cut tops off of bell peppers and remove seeds. In large pot, boil the bell peppers in lightly salted water, for five minutes. Drain and place in a large, buttered casserole dish.

In large skillet, on medium heat, brown ground beef with Cajun seasoning, Tabasco, and salt and drain excess oil. Add chopped onions, bell peppers, celery, tomato, and garlic and stir fry for five minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, cream of mushroom soup and water, stir well and cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the cooked rice to the meat mixture and mix gently. Fill each bell pepper with meat and rice mixture and top with bread crumbs and dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serves 6 Bon Appetit!

4 comments:

Sniffles and Smiles said...

I'm taking this one home with me!!!! Looks fab!!!!! My Dad used to love stuffed peppers!!!! You just keep coming with the most amazing and wonderful recipes...I'm getting quite a stash...going to have to buy another recipe box :-) Can't wait to try this one!!! Have a great week! ~Janine XO

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I love stuffed peppers, I use all the different colors, I will take some tips from your recipe. Pretty too!

Marguerite said...

Thanks so much, girl-friends! Glad that you like peppers, too. It was my mother's recipe, so I cannot take the credit for it.

Unknown said...

What a nice Blog you have!
I'm going to try some of your recipes of the week thanks for sharing Greetings
Sil Fleijsman